Crossing the US-Canada border with a dash cam

Grzegorz

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey I drive across the Detroit border every month or so, I was wondering whether having a dash cam mounted will get me hassled? Anyone cross the border with a dash cam? Should I just take it down and put it in the glove box as I cross, or do you think they'd be ok with it? I don't want them thinking I'm a terrorist trying to scout out potential targets or something like that.

I don't see why they would bother you. Who would want to go all terrorist on Detroit?

For the most part dash cams are doing law enforcement a favor, so they won't bother you. Note that in Canada they CAN confiscate your dashcam if they believe it recorded a crime, just to get access to the footage. They will return it however. And if you are not the suspect there is usually no hassle.

For the most part dash cams are doing law enforcement a favor, so they won't bother you. Note that in Canada they CAN confiscate your dashcam if they believe it recorded a crime, just to get access to the footage. They will return it however. And if you are not the suspect there is usually no hassle.

...which I imagine applies to every country's police force. Which is why I would like a dashcam that records to two SD cards or other memory simultaneously - I would feel uncomfortable giving someone evidence without having a copy, and SD cards fail and aren't expensive so it's wise to record to two.

you do realize that the US Border Patrol has many internal immigration checkpoints within the US, right?
they can do this legally anywhere up to 100 miles from the nearest borders with Canada and Mexico.
most of these checkpoints are either permanent or semi-permanent, located right on the interstate.

there are many example of people driving through these internal immigration checkpoints with their
dash cams on.... the Border Patrol agents don't seem to care.

here's one example:

I think it's the same in most of the US as in Canada, where if they see you filming a crime, they can just confiscate it, it's basically equal to a search warrant. Same as if they hear screams of murder in a house, they can enter without a search warrant.

I crossed the border over 100 times with a dashcam and never had any issue.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Thank you for pointing that out.

We have had a problem in the UK too with UK police taking a heavy-handed approach to people taking photos of them e.g. 'Man arrested and locked up for five hours after taking photo of police van ignoring 'no entry' sign'

... and there is the ongoing situation in the UK of a dispute between a government minister and the police over what was said, outside 10 Downing Street, where the minister subsequently resigned due to the allegations despite denying some of them. People by and large believed the police. But then two pieces of evidence came to light - CCTV of 10 Downing Street and a tape recording of a subsequent conversation (see the blue box in this article - apologies for referencing the Daily Mail).

Well I had one going all the time I was in USA and Canada recently and was never questioned about it.
Crossed at Niagara both ways 4 times in one day and nothing was said.
Also went through a checkpoint near Tombstone and nothing was said.

Probably because mine is nice and small and up in front of the mirror it wasnt noticed.

I have two Mobius cams in my minivan, front and back. I drove from Detroit to Toronto airport and back this summer through Port Huron and didn't have any problem.

If you know you're about to cross a border and do not want to start a possible dispute with the law enforcement, why not stop in advance and take your dashcams down if you can? Leave the cables and mounts if they're hardwired, just take the cameras down. Put them in the glove compartment whatever. Okay. You might miss capture anything of interest but you also might miss a couple of hours argument with an officer having a bad day feeling the need to make your day just as bad. If you really want to record the interaction, say for your own safety, use your cellphone temporary. Open or hidden, that's up to your discretion I guess. And then when you've cleared the crossing, stop at the first petrol station and reattach your cameras.

I recently had my car at the annual testing and did just that. Not that my front and rear mobius is any of their concern but as dashcams in my nation is something of a legal grey area (and some take this integrity issue VERY personal!) I felt it was in my best interest to have that testing-guy clear my car as street legal for another year without any disputes, nor did I feel like having to pull out the law and read to him about cctv:s and try convince him about my interpretation of it.

Maybe I'm stupid (and a little paranoid:D) but it felt like the best thing to do.

// D

Just came across an article on this issue: http://www.trucknews.com/security/dash-cams-illegal-border-depend-way-youre-headed/1003059630

Going into US: Take down or turn off your camera unless CBP advises otherwise - “photography and videography is prohibited without the authorization of CBP in all US CBP areas with accordance to 41 CFR 102-74.420.”

Going into Canada: No issue - “The CBSA does not restrict the use of dash cameras at ports of entry. Dash cameras may be on and recording while waiting in line and they do not have to be turned off when speaking with an officer as long as it does not hinder or obstruct the officer’s ability to carry out their duties,”

I'm so used to having my dashcam there that I've crossed many Ontario borders into the U.S. and forgot it was there - but I've never had a problem.

I have a G1WH Dash Camera and travel into Canada at least twice a month, through Buffalo, Niagara Falls and Detroit. I have NEVER been questioned about the camera either going into Canada or coming back to the US.

I've been back and forth from Canada and the US. and never had a problem with my street guardian. I could turn it off if asked but there's no way I'm taking it down as it stuck to the windshield lol !

I've been back and forth from Canada and the US. and never had a problem with my street guardian. I could turn it off if asked but there's no way I'm taking it down as it stuck to the windshield lol !

possibly one of the advantages of a discrete camera, most wouldn't even notice it

You got that right !!

I have had the same experience at the Mexican border with my SG9665GC. Several of my associates cross daily with the same camera in their car, and have not had any problems to date. Next time in Detroit I will try it going into Canada.

Back