Current draw on +12vdc?

TomZweifel

Reaction score
Country
United States
Howdy.

Does anyone have an estimate of current draw on the +12vdc input while recording? I would estimate about 500mA, but I was looking for something a little more precise.

Thanks for your time.

Howdy.

Does anyone have an estimate of current draw on the +12vdc input while recording? I would estimate about 500mA, but I was looking for something a little more precise.

Thanks for your time.

I'll have a look later today, it's closer to half of that from memory

My apologies in advance, I swear I did try to find it myself before I posted. I try not to be that guy if I can help it.

My apologies in advance, I swear I did try to find it myself before I posted. I try not to be that guy if I can help it.

no problem, it will be buried here somewhere, it's not an inconvenience anyway as I have one connected to a lab power supply in the office at the moment that gives the current draw readings, will have a look when I'm in the office later today

A handy gadget for dash cam users to keep around is a USB "Charger Doctor". It's basically a tiny simple multi-meter with a USB-A input and output.

You simply plug it in between the power supply and the device, in this case, your dash cam. It will show you the voltage and current draw.

A newer version is available from Keweisi that not only shows the current draw and voltage of whatever device you plug in but also has a built in timer.

Of course, these things are not for 12V direct but for 3-9V.

Specification :
Voltage : 3V-9V, ± 1%
Current : 0-3A, ± 1%
Time : 0-99H
Battery Capacity : 0-99999mAh
Size : Approx. 7.2cm x 2.2cm x 1.1cm / 2.83" x 0.87" x 0.43"

You can find these for only a few dollars at places like Banggood or eBay.

Keweisi.jpg

VMmeter.jpg

A handy gadget for dash cam users to keep around is a USB "Charger Doctor". It's basically a tiny simple multi-meter with a USB-A input and output.

those are handy, I have a couple also, the camera in question though is 12v powered so will need to check it at the power supply

The RC power plug end type is a "Nokia" 35135 which means the outside is 3.5mm and the pin is 1.35mm.

The USB service port on the side will power the camera up but doesn't charge the super capacitors so probably isn't accurate for measuring true power draw

those are handy, I have a couple also, the camera in question though is 12v powered so will need to check it at the power supply

Yeah, I suddenly realized that and noted it in my post just as you were posting.

Forgot that this cam is 12V.

Not sure what adapter would let you connect a 35135 cylinder plug into USB, probably easier to use a different device to test 12v draw

Not sure what adapter would let you connect a 35135 cylinder plug into USB, probably easier to use a different device to test 12v draw

It would be easy to make one but yeah, this is not what you really need in this instance.

Like I said, I forgot that this is a 12V cam. My bad. :(

If I remember correctly RC was around 200-220Mah with short video cable depending if screen is on or off. If using long 5m video cable I guess it may draw additional 5-10mAh?

Sent from my LG-H962 using Tapatalk

Howdy.

Thanks for your time.

in round numbers, 400mAh when it first boots, 320mAh while the capacitors charge, recording with screen on is 240mAh then once the display goes off and it's just recording it will sit at 180mAh

Sounds perfect, thank you all very much for your time and effort!

Back