Custom firmware / Bit rate tables

micro

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
0805 (Front) / Mobius (rear)
Curious, since I modified my own 0805 firmware (changed boot logo).

There are tools available to modify Ambarella firmware images, including the bit rate table.

Has anyone attempted this with the K1S, with a suitably fast micro sd card, and found any improvement?

Apparently the K1S doesn't appear to honor any of the bitrate settings. Set all of them to 10 (minimum 1, max 1.5), and i'm still getting ~7mbps for rear and 10-15mbps (closer to 10mbps for the most part) for the front, same as the stock firmware. Reverted to R180 at present.

My video also appears to be quite poor compared to Techmoans sample footage, although it's still suitable for my purpose. I'm wondering whether it's because I have a heated front windscreen, with embedded heating wires. It does seem to "glare" more with low lying sun, and headlights at night. It's more "blocky" than poor HD quality.

However my sound quality - well. It will pick up my voice well, pick up the indicator "ticks" well, pick up doors opening/closing/etc. But only picks the music up at an extremely low level (I was playing it louder than I speak). Does it have two microphones, and then tries to do noise cancellation?

And finally - something about the hardware of the K1S - logically thinking about the cable from the cameras - micro usb - 5 pins + shield. Are the cameras usb peripherals or do they use a proprietary comms protocol? I wonder if there is any ground in repurposing the cameras from the system and using something like a Raspberry PI or other mini PC to do processing and saving...

Think they are based around the AHD format of video. 12 Volts power and two Digital data feeds.

The 8 Channel CCTV System I have runs these along the analogue wires and seems to have similar bit rates etc.

Back