Custom firmware BlackVue DR550GW-2CH

I installed it today and i'm not happy with the quality. I spent $400 and I can send it back for a refund. My question is.... Will the custom firmware fix this issue? If yes, any ETA? I don't mind donating but i'm debating to find another solution.

Any ideas?

Is this custom have any examples or sample video?

Also will the custom be in english, how much do donate amount begin from? Where can we get it?

BlackVue 550-2ch $289 With Free EMS. Best price

It appears we have a bit of movement on the "variable bit-rate custom firmware".
Linkage
The Chrome/Google translation created a lot of questions for me. I've tried to ask for a bit of clarification in the thread.
Hopefully someone who is fluent in both Russian and English will help us out. :)

Reactions: TEB
There are some slang used there which Google translates strange way.
Two main points:
1. Regarding "variable bit-rate" they mean: selectable bit-rate.
You may select bit-rate for front and rear camera with 1 step up or down.
2. Before selecting bit-rate, first need to check what is maximum writing speed of your memory card and only then selecting a total bit-rate of front + rear cam which should not be bigger than max writing speed of your memory card.

Last edited:
I see that @macabre already answered most of your questions here http://car-dvr.info/forum/index.php?topic=221.msg21408#msg21408, but if there's anything still not quite clear, I'd be happy to help.
My Russian is a tad rusty and about 25yrs out of date (i.e. their modern slang is somewhat of a challenge), but still pretty functional :cool:

One word you might want to familiarise yourself with is 'registrator' - dashcams are called 'video registrator' in Russian, most of the time they refer to one as simply 'registrator' or 'regik', which is not translated correctly by a browser: at best the former is given as 'registrar' and the latter is just transliterated.
Спасибо Дэвид за разъяснения ;)

Well the sample file sent is much better then the original.

There is still a small amount of bad pixels in a few places, but you can read number plates at more distance and when driving past parked cars at speed.

Well done.
I am not installing going to see how my credit card company do with my refund first.

Still not sure what I need to do set buy the firmware ?

Google translate didn't help me much

Just to sum up, this is RUS/ENG firmware
It's custom with better bitrate ? Anyone know the bitrate range ?

Who do I donate to, the site or a particular member ?

Thanks

Hey all. I've a few questions rewarding the custom firmware for the 550.

If I make a donation. How is the custom firmware given to me? Email containing .zip?
How do I install the custom firmware onto the cam?
What are the changes in the custom firmware other than being able to change the bit-rate?
Does the wifi stay on when turned on instead of auto turning off after set time?
Does the firmware come in English or do I have to convert it from Russian to English?
And if there are future updates/fixes to the custom firmware do we have to donate again to receive
Thanks.

http://car-dvr.info/forum/index.php?topic=221.0

94bb275122b3.png

DashCamDave, как всегда - спасибо Эдвард Дэвид

Last edited:
сорри Дэвид, зарапортовался..

I'd be more than happy to make a donation knowing ill get a copy of the firmware. Is there an minimum amount the gents would like to guarantee a copy of their hard work ?

Just donated $25. Hope to recieve a copy of their firmware. Very excited

Back