Custom firmware BlackVue DR550GW-2CH

Yeah I can understand that. With your v1.019R you can change the bit rate yes?
no, I wrote that this is the original (stock) firmware

Here are my problems in a nutshell...

1. I cannot downgrade to any firmware successfully
2. Even though my version.bin says 2.002, the corner of recorded videos still says "custom_2.000_1.3"
3. My wifi is no longer working

My concern is #2 will be a tell to pittasoft if I have to send it in

What did you do to the structure to rectify the ssid error?
Copy in a fresh version of the same version of the firmware as currently installed.
Make sure the system folder is empty, as is the record folder, and restart the camera :)

2. Even though my version.bin says 2.002, the corner of recorded videos still says "custom_2.000_1.3"

You may have already tried this but did you change change the SSID from stock i.e. "DR500GW...." in the Blackvue App ? Again I am sure you are aware if you did this before loading custom firmware those settings would have been lost and it would revert to stock.
Have you tried using the Blackvue app to update the SSID and checking if it is then broadcast (format card first, install in the camera, once updated use the app to update SSID).

The issue with downgrading firmware that I had in the past was that the custom firmware was based on the Russian firmware and so loading English firmware was blocked. I did try it a while back with my camera but failed, I have not looked into it as the custom firmware works very well for me as long as the settings are not too high.

You are absolutely correct - which actually makes the issue even worse! lol
It means my 33MB/s card can 'take' a bitrate of 264Mb/s

So then... at basic levels whereby I'm running 12+6 (and 2 for GPS/logging) = 20 Mb/s, therefore needing a card with a rate of 2.5MB/s... Is that correct? - in which case... WTF?!!

Hi,

Have you managed to solve your issues with jumpy video?

I think this is the other way around, there are 8 bits in a byte therefore a 33 megabit card has a rate of 4.125 megabytes per second. I am currently running at 17 front and stock on the rear and have no issues (a 1 minute file is about 130MB on the front).

I have to change my SD card to get to these levels and if I try to go any higher I do get some issues, the write speed of my card is a minimum of 15 Mb/s but it tested higher.

Edit:

apologies you are correct I thought cards were being quoted in megabits per second not megabytes.

Confused my self with the post before :)

Last edited:
How can he update the ssid if he can't connect to the camera wirelessly in the first place?

take the SD card out and update via USB / pc in the Blackvue App.

edit: Of course wont be able activate custom firmware update as I suggested before until you can connect.

Last edited:
You may have already tried this but did you change change the SSID from stock i.e. "DR500GW...." in the Blackvue App ? Again I am sure you are aware if you did this before loading custom firmware those settings would have been lost and it would revert to stock.
Have you tried using the Blackvue app to update the SSID and checking if it is then broadcast (format card first, install in the camera, once updated use the app to update SSID).

The issue with downgrading firmware that I had in the past was that the custom firmware was based on the Russian firmware and so loading English firmware was blocked. I did try it a while back with my camera but failed, I have not looked into it as the custom firmware works very well for me as long as the settings are not too high.

Yeah, I never changed the SSID. I have the thing in my car now recording, but I still can't connect with wifi. I guess I'll just have to live with that (grumble). Maybe the next Pittasoft update will fix my issue.

Sidenote - has anyone else had problems with their powermagic pro power cycling as soon as you turn on the car? I suspect since I don't drive it much the battery is always *just* about to get low enough for the powermagic to do its thing, and my 15 minute commute to work isn't enough to full charge the battery back up.

Yeah, I never changed the SSID. I have the thing in my car now recording, but I still can't connect with wifi. I guess I'll just have to live with that (grumble). Maybe the next Pittasoft update will fix my issue.

Sidenote - has anyone else had problems with their powermagic pro power cycling as soon as you turn on the car? I suspect since I don't drive it much the battery is always *just* about to get low enough for the powermagic to do its thing, and my 15 minute commute to work isn't enough to full charge the battery back up.

I think it is worth a try as each time you have loaded new files onto the card the firmware is not updated but the settings of the config.ini, for example, are uploaded to the camera. I am not saying it will work but well worth a try as it will only take 10 minutes.

Format the SD card
Insert it into the camera
Wait for it to boot until normal recording starts
Shutdown the camera and remove the card
Check settings on a PC in the Blackvue App
Change the SSID (and maybe password) to something new (make sure you only setup one device to connect to the camera initially)

Out of interest how will a Pittasoft update help if you are stuck on custom firmware?

Maybe its your phone that's the problem Can you see the camera when you try to pair it with the phone.

Have you in fact tried to pair it.

I have never ever inserted an SSID I have just turned WIFI on and looked for it and inserted the default pass word and it has worked,

Get the car battery checked We cant solve everything.

reckon there will be a 1.4? or has the custom firmware halted?

reckon there will be a 1.4? or has the custom firmware halted?
Soon to be the new custom firmware, based firmware from Blackvue DR650GW-2CH

This may be in the wrong place but i have just joined and this seems to be a popular thread.
I have two issues.
1. What to purchase
2. Fixing my old DR400G version 1

The old DR400G was a Korean model i flashed to english and was working fine until one day the power plug was removed and the centre plastic fell out and shorted the wire thus had to throw it away. i brought a universal cigarette adapter with the right size plug months later and camera didnt turn on, i tried upgrading the firmware and now i have no idea what is on it and it doesnt work. Sometimes a red ring appears briefly when first plugged in but then nothing..

1. How can i start from scratch and get this working again, 2. can i install the custom russian firmware that improves quality if there even is one for this model (yes i can donate)

I was about to buy the DR550GW dual and then i see the 650 is out.
You guys are really happy with the new firmware for the DR550W but is it better than the 650? Will @alexsoll make the 650 even better and i should just buy that?

Thoughts and help? Thanks :)

Last edited:

I think my wifi is dead now as well. I upgraded to custom firmware successfully and was able to change the bitrate. One day I tried to format SD card from 192.168.8.1 page but got some error messages said can't format the card. I saved the settings and tried to restart dr550gw. Then I couldn't find DR550's wifi anymore. The wifi light is on but just can't find the SSID. I could enter recovery mode and found SSID, "DR550GW-recovery", but can't open 192.168.8.1 using ssh. Later I rolled back to v2.002 and wifi is still not working. Now I can't use custom firmware anymore. Any help?

Last edited:
I think my wifi is dead now as well. I upgraded to custom firmware successfully and was able to change the bitrate. One day I tried to format SD card from 192.168.8.1 page but got some error messages said can't format the card. I saved the settings and tried to restart dr550gw. Then I couldn't find DR550's wifi anymore. The wifi light is on but just can't find the SSID. I could enter recovery mode and found SSID, "DR550GW-recovery", but can't open 192.168.8.1 using ssh. Later I rolled back to v2.002 and wifi is still not working. Now I can't use custom firmware anymore. Any help?
Yes, sometimes it happens.
Don't worry, after 1-2 days we specially collect a firmware fix.

I need help guys. I recently upgraded to the custom firmware and it gives me headaches. i cant lock to GPS,my clock are way out and i have this random please check the SD card error.
So i decided to revert back to stock by using the firmware downloaded from official site. Its version 2.002. Here is the step that i took:
Format the SD card
copy the whole blackvue folder into SD card
reboot the camera
I do get the upgrading notification stuff during the first time i tried to revert back to stock then the camera just wont stop saying "The version information is different"
can someone help me please? i tried formatting the card to fat32 and exfat32. I even tried changing the config bin language to Korea but nothing works

Back