Custom Firmware Thread: *RELEASED* Ver 1.1.1aE [DR500GW-HD]

Re: Custom Firmware Thread: *RELEASED* Ver 1.1.1aE [DR500GW-

just got back from the first road test, hell of a lot better and I only got it at 12 for bitrate not 15. mainly I notice the iris or what ever it is, is a lot faster and doesn't black out going from light to bright and vica versa, instead it goes gradually nice and fast.
I put the gps patch on when I upgraded firmware any way and gps is working ok.
I also like the little bit of music it plays at startup now.
Good job mio.

but one question, how do you know the temperature the dvr runs at??

wozzzzza said:
mainly I notice the iris or what ever it is, is a lot faster and doesn't black out going from light to bright and vica versa, instead it goes gradually nice and fast.?

I believe that is the effect of the Auto-White Balance (AWB) in the config-custom. Default it comes as AWB=Normal. I am really curious what AWB=Custom will do - I may have to try this out tomorrow. I can only compare to the stock firmware but Normal is a huge improvement already. Maybe when we get the translated documentation this will be explained, or was this a feature in the previous custom firmware?

Edit: May also be related to auto-exposure AGGS setting. I'm not an expert on this kind of stuff.

Just installed 1.1.1aE
Dash camera has voice but no gps at first(waited 20 min). So i installed the gps and voice patch.
Everything seems working fine now. The auto exposure improved alot :)
Mio, thanks alot for your hardwork.

M-Element said:
Just installed 1.1.1aE
Dash camera has voice but no gps at first(waited 20 min). So i installed the gps and voice patch.

Good to know am keen to try it but when I unzip the default_sd.tgz file remains a Zip file Do you just place that in the root of the card along with the others

Hillbilly I sent you a corrected version of the firmware. Upgrade again

if AWB = custom colors less saturated ;)

Hillbilly said:
M-Element said:
Just installed 1.1.1aE

Good to know am keen to try it but when I unzip the default_sd.tgz file remains a Zip file Do you just place that in the root of the card along with the others

After unzip the patch_GPS_ENG, i place the default_sd.tgz and main_app_DR400G in the root of the card. And place the upgrade folder in the system folder. Then put the SD card back to the camera, it will run and you should hear the voice saying starting debug mode, and then blackvue for safe driving something like that.
Then take the sd card out and delete the two files and one folder you just added. Then put the sd card back to the camera, everything should now working properly(both gps and voice) :)

Mio said:

Many thanks will try it tomorrow

Hillbilly said:
mike1088 said:
Firstly, many thanks to Mio and everyone else involved for all the hard work with this firmware and for the patch. Also thank you to SumitB for the step by step instructions.

I installed the firmware but afterwards had no GPS, so I then installed the patch and everything appears to be working properly with the video at 15mb/sec. GPS position was picked up straight away. I've been out for a little test drive and it seems to be much easier to see the number plates clearly of vehicles coming towards me so I am really pleased with the upgrade so far. I'm looking forward to the document translation so i can read more about what the new firmware can do.

One thing I have noticed though. If I play the footage through the Blackvue application/viewer, the video is jerky, but if I play it through VLC Player, it plays smoothly. Does anyone know why this is? Is this because of the very high bitrate now, as I didn't have this problem when it was running at 12mb/sec?

Have you tried adjusting the speed in the viewer or does that not make any difference

Thanks Hillbilly, I have dropped the speed on the viewer from 1.0 to 0.7 and it plays more smoothly now. It is not a huge problem and is something I can live with, I just wondered if anyone else was having the the same thing.

yeah everything works! Many thanks to Mio and whoever worked on this custom FW,you guys are so great!
few more question here, do I have to change the avserver.sh to English one? And how?
Can I use the iPhone client to adjust the settings? It seems the WIFI connection is not very stable after the upgrade.

Mio said:

Mio, is there a new(er) firmware version? On one of my dvr's the sd card is getting corrupted again and again. How do I resolve this issue. It started after the outside temp. went to about 30 degrees Celsius.

SumitB said:
Mio said:

Mio, is there a new(er) firmware version? On one of my dvr's the sd card is getting corrupted again and again. How do I resolve this issue. It started after the outside temp. went to about 30 degrees Celsius.

Go and buy a new one They do wear out 30 isnt even hot really

Mio, could you please send me the updated firmware as well? I sent you a private message with my e-mail address. Thanks in advance!

I reformatted the sd card using the gui utility and the problems seem to be over for now. Now, I searched the entire forum but could not find the instructions to use the dvr in wifi client mode. Has anyone been able to use it or do we wait for Mio to release the documentation to use the advanced functions?

mike1088 said:
Hillbilly said:
mike1088 said:
Firstly, many thanks to Mio and everyone else involved for all the hard work with this firmware and for the patch. Also thank you to SumitB for the step by step instructions.

I installed the firmware but afterwards had no GPS, so I then installed the patch and everything appears to be working properly with the video at 15mb/sec. GPS position was picked up straight away. I've been out for a little test drive and it seems to be much easier to see the number plates clearly of vehicles coming towards me so I am really pleased with the upgrade so far. I'm looking forward to the document translation so i can read more about what the new firmware can do.

One thing I have noticed though. If I play the footage through the Blackvue application/viewer, the video is jerky, but if I play it through VLC Player, it plays smoothly. Does anyone know why this is? Is this because of the very high bitrate now, as I didn't have this problem when it was running at 12mb/sec?

Have you tried adjusting the speed in the viewer or does that not make any difference

Thanks Hillbilly, I have dropped the speed on the viewer from 1.0 to 0.7 and it plays more smoothly now. It is not a huge problem and is something I can live with, I just wondered if anyone else was having the the same thing.

Perhaps the viewer is having trouble with the increased bit rate or something There is a new version viewer in the Thread about new version firmware it is 2.033 link to Firmware 1.007E here

http://www.share-online.biz/dl/6CCG0ROMQHP

Last edited by a moderator:

Mio, Thank you for the custom firmware and patch, unfortunately even after applying the patch I still have no gps also the time is 3 hours out!
I am following all the instructions and all is well, I then delete the upgrade file from system and the other 2 files from the root, put the sd card back in the camera it boots up with the jingle and says starting normal recording but then no gps light no blinking or anything, I have left it in all night and still nothing. any ideas?

have you gone for a drive in it out in the open?? gps probably wont work inside your garage or house. go for a 15 minute drive and see what happens.

Car is outside all the time and connected full time, I have driven it 4-5 times and reapplied the firmware and patches, the video looks great, it's just no gps and the wrong time :(

Last edited by a moderator:

ianm said:
Car is outside all the time and connected full time, I have driven it 4-5 times and reapplied the firmware and patches, the video looks great, it's just no gps and the wrong time :(

Before upgrader GPS OK?? if yes, you try to do:
format SD card by PC, put it into Camera and power up then Camera will recording ( may be no voice ) check if GPS working??

Things are now going from bad to worse :shock: I am now getting a message that sounds like (upgrade appears to be finished) and it just keeps on repeating :idea: I have formatted the card again and inserted it blank and just get the same message :evil:

Back