Custom Firmware Thread: *RELEASED* Ver 1.1.1aE [DR500GW-HD]

Re: Custom Firmware Thread: *RELEASED* Ver 1.1.1aE [DR500GW-

When the 1.1.1aE was original released it had different daytime brightness. I think the original brightness was set as 5. Then there was a problem with the original firmware. The GPS and voices weren't working. So after the problem was fixes they released the firmware again but didn't change the firmware number. In the second release of 1.1.1aE the brightness had been altered to 3 I think and AWB was set to custom. Whereas in the original it was at Normal.

Those were the only differences I think. And those must have been mistakes because AWB should be set a Normal when you first get the firmware and the Daytime brightness should be 5.

kwaijhie said:
So when 1.1.1aE is installed, after it "installs" it reboots you hear that nice beautiful chime and the unit shuts down - no lights, no wifi, no nothing, basically the unit is a brick, it cannot turn on to get into recording mode (unless i revert back to 1.0.5es, then in that case see below).

When i revert back to 1.0.5es everything is fine except for no lights on the unit while it is recording (records fine, but no GPS light to indicate the unit is on and running fine).

When did you receive your firmware from Mio? The original firmware didn't have voices and GPS. Get the latest firmware from Mio

If you do have the latest firmware then after the update is done. Take the card out and delete everything in the system folder and reinsert the card into the dashcam and power it on, see if that makes a difference.

jsan, what do you mean by
jsan said:
When the 1.1.1aE was original released
?
Have you really seen two different versions of the 1.1.1a custom firmware?

A fragment of the config-custom.ini, version 1.1.1:
Code:
AWB=Custom
#
##########
# AWB Sensor (1...3): from "warm" to "cold"
#
AWBS=2
#
#########
# Daytime Brightness (1....5)
#
AECB=3
#
########
# Auto Expositure Speed (1...4)
#
AGGS=2
#
########
# Night Brightness (1....5)
#
AGGN=3
and version 1.1.1a:
Code:
AWB=Custom
#
##########
#
AWBS=2
#
#########
# Daytime Brightness (1....7)
#
AECB=3
#
########
#
AGGS=2
#
########
# Night Brightness (1....7)
#
AGGN=3
Scaling is a difference between the two, AWB=Custom in both.

jsan said:
kwaijhie said:
So when 1.1.1aE is installed, after it "installs" it reboots you hear that nice beautiful chime and the unit shuts down - no lights, no wifi, no nothing, basically the unit is a brick, it cannot turn on to get into recording mode (unless i revert back to 1.0.5es, then in that case see below).

When i revert back to 1.0.5es everything is fine except for no lights on the unit while it is recording (records fine, but no GPS light to indicate the unit is on and running fine).

When did you receive your firmware from Mio? The original firmware didn't have voices and GPS. Get the latest firmware from Mio

If you do have the latest firmware then after the update is done. Take the card out and delete everything in the system folder and reinsert the card into the dashcam and power it on, see if that makes a difference.

OK so that is something that I have not done, which is delete only the system folder once the update is done. Now the question I would have is whyjust the system folder and not the entire sd card. The issue that I see is that after the update is 'apparently' done, it shuts down and reload and then stops at the new chime and then everything goes to black (i.e. no lights and no indication of being alive). Not to poo poo your idea (as i am all ears), why only delete the system folder?

Let me know your thoughts, i would love to get to the bottom of all this.

kwaijhie said:
jsan said:
kwaijhie said:

OK so that is something that I have not done, which is delete only the system folder once the update is done. Now the question I would have is whyjust the system folder and not the entire sd card. The issue that I see is that after the update is 'apparently' done, it shuts down and reload and then stops at the new chime and then everything goes to black (i.e. no lights and no indication of being alive). Not to poo poo your idea (as i am all ears), why only delete the system folder?

Let me know your thoughts, i would love to get to the bottom of all this.

delete only the contents of the system folder, not the folder itself. If the dashcam doesn't automatically delete the contents of the system folder, then it tries to upgrade each time after the reboot, because the upgrade files are still there in the system folder.

So if you have any files in the system folder, then delete those and try the cam again

sciagent said:
jsan, what do you mean by
jsan said:
When the 1.1.1aE was original released
?
Have you really seen two different versions of the 1.1.1a custom firmware?

A fragment of the config-custom.ini, version 1.1.1:
Code:
AWB=Custom
#
##########
#
AWBS=2
#
#########
# Daytime Brightness (1....5)
#
AECB=3
#
########
#
AGGS=2
#
########
# Night Brightness (1....5)
#
AGGN=3
and version 1.1.1a:
Code:
AWB=Custom
#
##########
#
AWBS=2
#
#########
# Daytime Brightness (1....7)
#
AECB=3
#
########
#
AGGS=2
#
########
# Night Brightness (1....7)
#
AGGN=3
Scaling is a difference between the two, AWB=Custom in both.

Technically there is only one version that was released on this forum, which was 1.1.1aE

Mio gave that version out to everyone and after people installed the new firmware they noticed that GPS and/or voices weren't working. So they fixed that problem and released it again. They didn't change the firmware number because there was no change other than the voices and GPS were no working.

Apparently when they released the new fixed firmware they forgot to revert back to the normal AWB settings in the config files. I noticed it when I opened both Custom config files from both original and the fixed version of the firmware. The only difference was the daytime brightness and AWB=Custom.

I think by default the brightness is supposed to be 5 and the AWB=Normal from thereon people can adjust it to their liking.

OK so i went to the car dvr info site to grab a copy of 1.1.1aE, loaded it up and whamo it worked like a charm. So i suspect the FW that was given to me may have been an "issue" file to the same degree that others have been complaining about. So to help those that want the newest and greatest FW, head over to the site and grab a copy and load the baby up to your BV.

NOW the ugly...... HOLY CRAP the night view is terrible, and I am being nice in my statement there. Has anyone been able to get the night to look like the previous FW? Even with all the nice new slick features the night view just kills the camera now, almost wants me to revert back to the previous FW.

Thanks for all the suggestion from the folks here.

kwaijhie said:
NOW the ugly...... HOLY CRAP the night view is terrible, and I am being nice in my statement there. Has anyone been able to get the night to look like the previous FW? Even with all the nice new slick features the night view just kills the camera now, almost wants me to revert back to the previous FW.

I don't know if there is a best setting for night video, i just keep trying different settings. Some of them noise is quite noticeable.
I tried a new setting last night, and will try something different tonight.

sciagent said:
mollydog said:
I too would like the 1.1.1aE upgrade it would be most welcome

Developers of the custom firmware have launched a dedicated forum where everything relevant to the custom firmware will be discussed:
http://car-dvr.info/forum/
There is the Car-DVR – English Speaking Forums on that forum. That is a place where you will be able to find the most recent version of the custom firmware, ask for help, comment, give feedback, and suggestions, etc.

thank you for the link, its' much appreciated

mollydog said:
sciagent said:
mollydog said:
I too would like the 1.1.1aE upgrade it would be most welcome

Developers of the custom firmware have launched a dedicated forum where everything relevant to the custom firmware will be discussed:
There is the Car-DVR – English Speaking Forums on that forum. That is a place where you will be able to find the most recent version of the custom firmware, ask for help, comment, give feedback, and suggestions, etc.

thank you for the link, its' much appreciated

Always welcome!

Due to the heat issue, the graphic went very bad after every 30 minutes. I'm going to roll back to the stock 1.005E and check if the heat issue get solved. just in case if i misunderstand any of the instructions please help me check the steps:

1. copy the Custom firmware to the Micro-SD card
2. make sure the \\blackvue\system\ contains Custom firmware files.
3. copy cramfsimage_dr500gw, patch_dr500gw.bin and ulmage_dr500gw fromStock Firmwarefolder to SD card under \\blackvue\system\upgrade folder
4.boot up the camera wait for upgrade .

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorry guys I want so long in answering :oops:
I now prepare to the holiday
I will not be two weeks

Our team of DR500GW custom firmware developers has launched our own web resource:
http://car-dvr.info/
with the forum:
where we will post our releases of a firmware, keep discussions with, and provide assistance to firmware users.

Anyone, who is interested in a custom firmware - welcome!

Mio said:
I will not be two weeks

Our team of DR500GW custom firmware developers has launched our own web resource:
with the forum:
where we will post our releases of a firmware, keep discussions with, and provide assistance to firmware users.

had a look, all Russian there, couldn't see any English??

If you use Chrome it can auto translate to English

wozzzzza said:
Mio said:
I will not be two weeks

with the forum:

had a look, all Russian there, couldn't see any English??
There is an English Forum but no posts in it yet Rest would be good if we could read it

Yeah, English would be nice because (almost) the entire world can read/speak englisch (more or less).

I can not understand anything and many others have the same problem.
Writing in English would make the custom firmware much more popular.

Could someone please tell us which version is the current one?
There are different versions with different settings.

Which one is the newest?

Unfortunately, I'm thinking about to send my camera back.
I paid 270 € (~350 $) and for this price, the video quality is FAR to bad.
And don't forget about the heat problem. No other manufacturer has such a problem. (I think the constructors are a bit 'unable/incapable'.)

to get rid of the DR500 stamp on the bottom right, with FW 1.1.1aE can I still use the same patch Mio gave me to use with the 1.05 FW?

Edited to add: I found the info
many thanks

Hey guys!

Just done the update and it works a treat... Just going to whack it back in the car...

Quick question.

If I plug in the micro SD into the computer and change something in the config file. Is it just a case of popping it back into the camera and it will take onboard the new settings or do you have to re do the custom firmware install process?

Also how do you get rid of the text in the bottom right hand corner?

Thanks!

Back