Custom Firmware Thread: *RELEASED* Ver 1.1.1aE [DR500GW-HD]

Re: Custom Firmware Thread: *RELEASED* Ver 1.1.1aE [DR500GW-

dashuser, yes, I agree with you!

Now there is an opportunity to select a language of the http://car-dvr.info/forum/
Both languages, English and Russian, are represented by flags at the right top corner of the forum.

The most recent English released version is 1.1.1a(ES). It is avaialble here:
http://car-dvr.info/forum/index.php?topic=13.0

Last edited by a moderator:

B20RRL said:
plug in the micro SD into the computer and change something in the config file. Is it just a case of popping it back into the camera and it will take onboard the new settings or do you have to re do the custom firmware install process?

No, you don't need to reinstall the custom firmware.

@All, please visit a dedicated forum (see info above) for everything relevant to a custom firmware, including you questions, problems, etc.

I can't even read the registration e-mail because everything is russian. :shock:

dashuser said:
Yeah, English would be nice because (almost) the entire world can read/speak englisch (more or less).

I can not understand anything and many others have the same problem.
Writing in English would make the custom firmware much more popular.

If you click on the English flag in the top r/h corner all will be revealed as mentioned by sciagent about 4 posts previously

i have got a problem after roll back to the stock FW, my GPS works fine but the time is incorrect. should i copy the citytime folder from custom firmware to the SD card?

micahfy said:
i have got a problem after roll back to the stock FW, my GPS works fine but the time is incorrect. should i copy the citytime folder from custom firmware to the SD card?

If you roll back to stock you should be able to set the time zone in the settings of the viewer. Otherwise if you have got the camera rolled back and running on stock format the SD card and reinstall the stock firmware and it should set it to give the setting menu. I have 1.007 on a SD card ready to go in the camera and it has the same setup as the older versions and gives me the same time zones as all prev versions.

Mios custom does not so may be a leftover from that.

Hillbilly said:
micahfy said:

If you roll back to stock you should be able to set the time zone in the settings of the viewer. Otherwise if you have got the camera rolled back and running on stock format the SD card and reinstall the stock firmware and it should set it to give the setting menu. I have 1.007 on a SD card ready to go in the camera and it has the same setup as the older versions and gives me the same time zones as all prev versions.

Mios custom does not so may be a leftover from that.
Thanks for the information. I did wipe the record folder after the GPS light on, the time issue got fixed after that.

Taking off the name stamp

I thought the best place for this topic is on this thread as it deals with the 1.1.1aE upgrade

to get rid of the name stamp on the bottom right corner, with Mio's "patch stamp" file(s) I followed the same instructions as I did for the 1.05 FW upgrade but this same process with the 1.1.1aE FW upgrade didn't work, any help to get rid of the name stamp on the bottom right corner with the 1.1.1aE FW will be most appreciated

many thanks

Actually night time quality is not that bad. To me, its very usable and acceptable.

Ok so I went and did the custom firmware last night and it went swimmingly well.

Now i have come to check the footage this morning and the results aren't great!

Day Time Footage

--

Night Time Footage

My Config file looks like the below:

Code:
version-1.1.1a]
#==========================================================
#                  Custom config file
#==========================================================
# ------ Voice = "KOR/RUS/ENG/FR"
Voice=ENG
# ---------- Play Volume
Volume=95%
# ---------- Priority of the main processes
priority=20
#
##########################################################
#  Set LED's (ON/OFF)
# Wi-Fi LED in normal mode
wfled1=ON
# Wi-Fi LED in parking mode
wfled2=OFF
# GPS LED in normal mode
gpsled1=ON
# GPS LED in parking mode
gpsled2=ON
#
# Set G-sensor value (Low/Normal/High/ST)
# G-sensor in Normal mode
gNormal=ST
# G-sensor in Parking mode
gPark=ST
#
# Set Video parameters
#
# 0 =  standard avserver
# 1 =  via avserver.sh in BlackVue/Config
# 2 =  custom:  AEC/AGG with AWB TI2A
#
Video=2
Size=1080P
Bitrate=15000000
Cabac=Yes
#
###########
#  Auto White Balance (Custom/Normal)
#
# Custom  - custom AWB
# Normal - standard avserver AWB
#
AWB=Custom
#
##########
# AWB Sensor (1...3): from "warm" to "cold"
#
AWBS=2
#
#########
# Daytime Brightness (1....7)
#
AECB=3
#
########
# Auto Expositure Speed (1...4)
#
AGGS=2
#
########
# Night Brightness (1....7)
#
AGGN=3
#
########
# Video special
#
######
# Video Flip & Mirror = (ON/OFF)
#
FM=OFF
#
#
#########################################################
#  Set Wi-Fi Parameters
#########################################################
# Mode:
#
# APS - standard access point
# APC - custom access point
# DIR - direct (P2P) Mode
# STA - station mode
#
Mode=APS
#
#   DHCP Server/client (ON/OFF)
#
DHCP=ON
#-------------------------------------------------------
#
IP=192.168.8.1
MASK=255.255.255.0
GW=192.168.8.1
DNS=192.168.8.1
# MODE=DIR (Direct Mode Parameters)
# P2P mode
#
# 0 = Disable P2P
# 1 = Enable P2P
# 2 = Device will be the P2P client mode
# 3 = Device will be the P2P group owner mode (SoftAP)
#
P2P=1
#
# Mac address of the peer device
MAC=00:11:22:33:44:55
#
# P2P Client Mode
# display - peer P2P device should display its PIN CODE on screen and the user should key-in this code on local device
# keypad - local P2P device should display its PIN CODE on its screen and the user should key-in this code on peer device
# pbc - two P2P device will use the WPS push button for the following WPS procedure
# label - user should read the PIN code from the label of peer P2P device and key-in this PIN CODE on the local P2P device
#
P2PC=label

The quality on the day footage looks shockingly bad... The night time footage shows up the the purple pixels from the heat.

What changes should I make to get my decent quality footage back and stop the purple pixels? I am happy to sacrifice a lower bit-rate than 15.

Will post this up on the DVR forum as mentioned in previous posts...

Thanks

B20RRL said:
The quality on the day footage looks shockingly bad... The night time footage shows up the the purple pixels from the heat.

What changes should I make to get my decent quality footage back and stop the purple pixels? I am happy to sacrifice a lower bit-rate than 15.

Will post this up on the DVR forum as mentioned in previous posts...

Thanks

Try AWB=Normal
It makes significant difference

Ok, unfortunately I am going to send my blackvue back to the seller. :(
I can not accept these problems compared with such a high price.

Goodbye Blackvue 500, hello DOD LS300W.

just thinking, my mobile phone has more options and more stuff, wireless, internet, camera, can receive phone calls and make them, is about the same size not as round and doesn't even get the slightest warm.
why should this camera get hot what I cant work out, whats the difference?.

dashuser said:
Ok, unfortunately I am going to send my blackvue back to the seller. :(
I can not accept these problems compared with such a high price.

Goodbye Blackvue 500, hello DOD LS300W.

I returned my last week for an exchange. If this suffers from the same issues, it will be going back for a full refund. 2 Weeks til I get my replacement....

1 week for the camera to get to their technician. Another week to get back to me. Instead of just sending a replacement asap....

I saw a sample video of the DOD LS300W and wow, the nighttime clip (if real) looks amazing. That's real 1080P HD quality right there. And unlike my previous blackvue, you can clearly read the license plate.

You should know by now to never trust Demo videos from Manufacturer. Remember Blackvue's demo videos on their website and what we got?

But seeing customers' videos on youtube LS300 does have a pretty kick ass low-light performance. It's got a nice fast lens, I think it was f/1.8. I priced one out when I bricked my DR500GW. It came to $250CAD from a DOD certified dealer. I might buy one for my other car.

I think DR500GW is a lost cause for low-light performance. Too much lost detail, too much grain and noise when you go to adjust the brightness. A Camera needs a fast lens and a big sensor for better low light quality. I don't know what kind of sensor the LS300 has, but it has a fast lens.

The Panasonic Lumix LX7 has an f/1.4!! lens and a big sensor. It has some pretty nice low-light quality and it costs about $50 more than the DR500GW. BUT it's a digital camera not a dashcam, although it does record 1920x1080 30FPS or 1280x720 120FPS. It would've been nice if this camera was usable as a dashcam.

The Main thing I'm looking out for is GoPro to come out with HERO 4. As of now the GoPro can't be used as a dashcam because it lacks features as Record on power on, Loop files WITHOUT any lost footage.
From the Rumours I read, it will enable shooting at 120FPS @ Full 1080p and shooting at 250FPS @ 720p. Along with a backlit sensor for better low light video. Now imaging if GoPRO made it usable as a dashcam. It'll be in the same price range as DR500GW.

jsan said:
You should know by now to never trust Demo videos from Manufacturer. Remember Blackvue's demo videos on their website and what we got?

yep, even with these they're very selective about what they show, drive through the neon jungle and of course it's going to look good, that's about as good as you're going to get, it won't fare so well on an unlit country road of course though so no surprises that that's not part of their demo

jsan said:
I don't know what kind of sensor the LS300 has, but it has a fast lens.

Lens is 1.6f, sensor is the AR0330, it's a good combination

Guys, pls help the following setting? There are three config file, one is Avserver / Config.ini and Config-custom. Which one should i choose to change the below setting?

1) WIFI password
2) DVR volume

Dscheng said:
Guys, pls help the following setting? There are three config file, one is Avserver / Config.ini and Config-custom. Which one should i choose to change the below setting?

1) WIFI password
2) DVR volume

Your Blackvue software should do those things.

Volume can be changed from Config.ini as well. You can change the SSID for wifi in Config.ini as well, but for password use the blackvue software

aRRHH ! I adjust the config ini setting via normal notepad. No wonder, i cant works at all. Definitely must use Notepad +++ !!
I had adjust the GPS and Wifi led off during parking mode. But when it turn to parking mode, both LED are still ON? Strange?

# Set LED's (ON/OFF)
# Wi-Fi LED in normal mode
wfled1=ON
# Wi-Fi LED in parking mode
wfled2=OFF
# GPS LED in normal mode
gpsled1=ON
# GPS LED in parking mode
gpsled2=OFF

Back