Custom Firmware Thread: *RELEASED* Ver 1.1.1aE [DR500GW-HD]

Re: Custom Firmware Thread: *RELEASED* Ver 1.1.1aE [DR500GW-

Dscheng said:
aRRHH ! I adjust the config ini setting via normal notepad. No wonder, i cant works at all. Definitely must use Notepad +++ !!
this goes without saying. Mio even mentions it in the instructions for those who do not know.

jokiin said:
jsan said:
You should know by now to never trust Demo videos from Manufacturer. Remember Blackvue's demo videos on their website and what we got?

yep, even with these they're very selective about what they show, drive through the neon jungle and of course it's going to look good, that's about as good as you're going to get, it won't fare so well on an unlit country road of course though so no surprises that that's not part of their demo

jsan said:
I don't know what kind of sensor the LS300 has, but it has a fast lens.

Lens is 1.6f, sensor is the AR0330, it's a good combination

That's even faster than I thought.

Help!
Hit snag. BV recognized reformatted 64 GB card with custom FW and announced "updating firmware". Seemed to be updating but a few minutes later BV said something I didn't understand and shut off. Turned off car unplugged BV, started car and plugged BV in again. DVR lights turn on then only the green light and then BV chimes and turns off. Reset doesn't help, just repeats same problem.

What should I do? Any suggestions?

as 64GB cards are not officially supported I think I would try running the firmware update from a smaller known working card instead

Pappy said:
Help!
Hit snag. BV recognized reformatted 64 GB card with custom FW and announced "updating firmware". Seemed to be updating but a few minutes later BV said something I didn't understand and shut off. Turned off car unplugged BV, started car and plugged BV in again. DVR lights turn on then only the green light and then BV chimes and turns off. Reset doesn't help, just repeats same problem.

Do you use the recommended link?
DR500GW-custom , I used to have the same problem as your. Mio email me the custom firmware which doesnt work. Go download from this link, this works ! Rem to use notepad++ only to edit your config setting. Good luck.

Hi all,

My sample video with custom setting. The night seem to be too bright. The day seem to be cold.

I think my night brightness set too high.

AWB=Custom
#
##########
# AWB Sensor (1...3): from "warm" to "cold"
#
AWBS=2
#
#########
# Daytime Brightness (1....7)
#
AECB=5
#
########
# Auto Expositure Speed (1...4)
#
AGGS=2
#
########
# Night Brightness (1....7)
#
AGGN=3

Last edited by a moderator:

Can't see the vid's? I also have way too much noise, so i reverted back to prev version.
Here is where I have another issue with the previous version. My car was hit when in parking mode (pretty good - too the point it was pushed over). An event was not registered and the settings were not changed from 1.0.5eS and so I was lucky that I took the card out to get the info.

Going to do some tests, but I may flip back to stock, or better yet return the camera. I'm all for testing around, but not at the expense of not picking up an event or worse.

Dscheng said:

Hi all,

My sample video with custom setting. The night seem to be too bright. The day seem to be cold.

I think my night brightness set too high.

AWB=Custom
#
##########
# AWB Sensor (1...3): from "warm" to "cold"
#
AWBS=2
#
#########
# Daytime Brightness (1....7)
#
AECB=5
#
########
# Auto Expositure Speed (1...4)
#
AGGS=2
#
########
# Night Brightness (1....7)
#
AGGN=3

Last edited by a moderator:

Dscheng said:
Pappy said:
Help!

Do you use the recommended link?
DR500GW-custom , I used to have the same problem as your. Mio email me the custom firmware which doesnt work. Go download from this link, this works ! Rem to use notepad++ only to edit your config setting. Good luck.
Saw your previous post and followed in your wake. Dld custom FW (from DVR-Talk link) and updated successfully (on a 64 GB card). Now up and running with following issues...
1) Image Quality not so great @ 11000 and 12000 bps so I must tweak settings.
2) WiFi issues... BV IOS software has trouble accessing vids (due to higher bitrate?) and even fails to access Live View on occasion.
GPS issues... Time is right but the GPS reading is incorrect, perhaps because I booted BV in underground garage. Will remove contents of Record directory and reboot outside.

Any suggestions?

Hey guys, you don't need to revert back to the older version. Just go to config-custom.ini, and change video= to 1. Then open up avserver.sh and change bitrate from 12 to 15. There you go, you bypass all the AWB settings and you're back to dashcam's original video settings and colors (except the bitrate)

#
# 0 = standard avserver
# 1 = via avserver.sh in BlackVue/Config
# 2 = custom: AEC/AGG with AWB TI2A
#
Video=1
Size=1080P
Bitrate=15000000
Cabac=Yes
#

Is anyone using custom FW (with high bitrate) able to access and play vids on their BV cellphone app? I can't access VOD via wifi on my iPhone which is one of BV's best features! :x

Pappy said:
Is anyone using custom FW (with high bitrate) able to access and play vids on their BV cellphone app? I can't access VOD via wifi on my iPhone which is one of BV's best features! :x

Can not, I am back to 1.007E, with viewer 33, It is ok

Pappy said:

Yes, I can download, and watch videos on the Blackvue app with 1.1.1aE firmware. I can also get the live view.

jsan said:
Pappy said:

Yes, I can download, and watch videos on the Blackvue app with 1.1.1aE firmware. I can also get the live view.
Thanks all! After rebooting BV I can access clips and Live View on my iPhone running 11,000 bps uncompressed clips. BV can also access 64 GB card using Mio's custom firmware. Thanks you Mio and Company! The custom FW works and has made the BV much more capable. The real issie now is finding the right birate and setting to get an optimum picture. My output isn't much better than the stock BV.

With stock firmware 1.005, I was having problems with the Time. Each time I powered on, it would reset the time to 00:00:00 1/1/1970 (-8 UTC time zone adjustment per config file). I used the TimeSet program, which worked to create the "settime.bin" file and "Updating the Time", but would be lost after a power cycle. Out of frustration, I installed MiO's 1.1.1aE, but am having the same problem! Using the 192.168.8.1 browser, I shut down action, deleted the recorded files, reset the GPS, and reboot. Back to 00:00:00 1/1/1970. I've let it sit in full view of the sky for an hour, no change. The GPS location and speed are recorded correctly (could only verify after using TimeSet on the first boot). I cracked open the case and measured the watch battery: 3.0V

I'm out of ideas. :x I have another unit that functions perfectly, but this one keeps forgetting the time :(

TomVue said:
With stock firmware 1.005, I was having problems with the Time. Each time I powered on, it would reset the time to 00:00:00 1/1/1970 (-8 UTC time zone adjustment per config file). I used the TimeSet program, which worked to create the "settime.bin" file and "Updating the Time", but would be lost after a power cycle. Out of frustration, I installed MiO's 1.1.1aE, but am having the same problem! Using the 192.168.8.1 browser, I shut down action, deleted the recorded files, reset the GPS, and reboot. Back to 00:00:00 1/1/1970. I've let it sit in full view of the sky for an hour, no change. The GPS location and speed are recorded correctly (could only verify after using TimeSet on the first boot). I cracked open the case and measured the watch battery: 3.0V

I'm out of ideas. :x I have another unit that functions perfectly, but this one keeps forgetting the time :(

I have been running 1.005 for weeks and only use my car about once a fortnight I set the timezone for east coast Australia and have never had any trouble.

With the 400 I have, I took it to USA and forgot to set the time zone and it still worked Just gave the wrong date and time offset.

After resetting it a few days later using the setting in the Viewer it worked fine for 7 weeks and then I did the same thing when I came home and it worked for a week on USA Pacific time.
Reset it again in the viewer and a year later its still Ok

I didnt delete the Record files on either occasion

TomVue said:

Search this thread, I think there was another user who had this problem, maybe he posted how he resolved it.

did you put the proper files in the timezone folder?

jsan said:
TomVue said:

Search this thread, I think there was another user who had this problem, maybe he posted how he resolved it.

I did see that, one user found a dead watch battery and replaced it. Mine isn't dead.

Yes, proper timezone file, and the timestamp reflects the -8 adjustment.

TomVue said:
jsan said:
TomVue said:

I did see that, one user found a dead watch battery and replaced it. Mine isn't dead.

Yes, proper timezone file, and the timestamp reflects the -8 adjustment.

My 1.005 Firmware doesnt have a timeset folder or file in it I just set it in the Viewer settings and when I turn it on the GPS sets the time correctly

Hillbilly said:
My 1.005 Firmware doesnt have a timeset folder or file in it I just set it in the Viewer settings and when I turn it on the GPS sets the time correctly
Right, that's what it's supposed to do, and my other unit does that fine.

TomVue said:
Hillbilly said:
Right, that's what it's supposed to do, and my other unit does that fine.

The 1.007 has that folder and a list of cities but I havent used it because it doesnt have an Australian cities in it.

However it does have a standard config in which I can set the correct time zone

Back