Custom Firmware Using AFT Tool

Jeremy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665GC & Mobius 1
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to make a custom Mini 0801 FW using the AFT tool from Tobias, but I keep bricking my Camera and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong... Hopefully someone has done this successfully and can help.

- I have the latest version of AFT, latest Java
- The FW I'm using is 20140906 (Eprance Branded, no GPS, single card)

Here's the steps I follow:

- Run AFT133.jar
- Open A2 Binary
- Select the 20140906 FW (filename is "firmware-NO1-SPIF-TB15.bin")
- in AFT, I click Partitions > Extract all

- then I click ROM/RFS > Extract ROM to disk
- then, in the "rtosfs" folder, I replace the logo.jpg with the my new logo

- back in AFT, I click ROM/RFS > Build ROM from disk
- then I click Build > Firmware Update
- A FW file appears and I attempt to update my camera per the normal process (put on SD card)
- update appears to be successful, cam shuts off
- cam is bricked

I did notice that the new logo file I used says it has 96 dpi whereas the original logo.jpg is 72 dpi... Relevant?

Last edited:
Ok, so I just tried this whole process again, same exact steps, but without replacing the logo.jpg or anything else. Basically I just used AFT to decompile and then rebuild the FW without changing anything else.

Same result. Mini 080-brick :(

On a positive note, I can now un-brick in like under 2 minutes.

if you can't decompile and then recompile successfully then something going wrong in your process (obviously), maybe ask @Tobi@s to point you in the right direction

Uhm just curious: Does the logo.jpg contain EXIF data? If so, the os doesn't support exif for boot/shutdown logo and throws an exception on startup which results in a crash after startup = "brick".

I can check for EXIF data (I'll have to research that :p) but I'm not sure that would be the cause, since it still bricks even when I don't change the picture.

Oh thats something different. Please upload original firmware + brick one (without modifications) and share it here.

Ok, here are the files.

Source Firmware File (named "firmware-NO1-SPIF-TB15.bin"): http://1drv.ms/1H0JPaD
- This is the 20140906 FW that came straight from your Firmware repository page.

Bricking Firmware (named "a2firmware.bin"): http://1drv.ms/1H0JO6C
- I made this straight from the AFT tool (load, extract partitions, extract rom, build rom, build FW update)

When loading the file to my SD card to update the cam, I rename the file "firmware-NO1-SPIF-TB15.bin" per the norm...

Thanks for looking into this! :D

Thanks, I tried the FW and it still bricks the cam (blue light only, no screen, no sound)

At first it wasn't prompting for FW update, but I found that I had named it "firmware-NO1-SPI-TB15", so I fixed the name to "firmware-NO1-SPIF-TB15" and it prompted for update. The update seems to work, it says "Processing" for a few minutes, gives the shutdown sound, then I power it off and back on, then it's bricked.

Ok seems like I have to find my old 0801 for debugging, will have a closer look asap.

Any closure for this issue?

This process is also what bricked my 0801. I'm now able to unbrick, so I want to give this another try.

Thanks.

The primary partition in Mini 0801 must first be unzipped, then make changes, then pack and only then compile the firmware.
Although in this version the primary partition is unpacked.
In the early versions of firmware it was necessary to unpack it beforehand...

Last edited:
Back