Custom Mobius install with remote lens

sd4x4

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mobius dashcam install

Finished off my Mobius dashcam install today, pleased with the stealth look. Had the camera initially attached to the windscreen, but it hung down below the mirror so was too obvious for me from outside. Then tried to install it below the mirror housing, adapting the windscreen mount so it hung below the housing. It worked for a while, but then the glue came unstuck and he camera started bobbing about over every bump.

normal_image~2.jpg

Drastic action was called for, so I bought a spare case, lens extender cable and capacitor and set to work. The spare case was cut up and sanded to create a micro camera housing, and then attached to the mirror housing using a magnetic oxo good grips fridge mini fridge clamp. The main unit is tucked away on the side of the mirror housing, fastened in its cradle with zip ties through four small holes in the mirror housing. I stuck everything together with black sugru - which is great stuff if a bit messy! It sets to form solid rubber, but can be worked for half an hour like play dough.

normal_image~0.jpg

normal_image~3.jpg

The whole system is removable, and I am pleased with the discreet form which when viewed face on is hidden against the background of the mirror housing.

normal_image~6.jpg

normal_image~7.jpg

normal_image~4.jpg

Power comes from a fuse tap into F5 in the passenger footwell, using a twin USB supply, leaving me with a spare socket. The camera USB lead simply plugs in and then runs up the rubber inside he A pillar and along the top of the screen totally out of sight.
icon_thumbs.gif

Haha baby mobius :) nice.

Nice and discrete.:)

Mobius little brother :)
Good DIY !

That was very clever, i just might copy that idea some day:)

nice idea. bookmarked for future reference

Thank you for all the positive comments, always good to get feedback

Here are some more photos of v2 of the camera housing. I wasn't happy with the original shut lines, so I made a new version from another case. This time I wrapped it in tape before cutting, so the cut was a much cleaner and easier to fit back together.

I also realised the camera housing could be much smaller, so reduced the form of the camera by a fair amount.

View from the drivers side. The led lights are visible from the drivers seat, so you can check it is recording, but the möbius is hidden by the dots on the windscreen.
image.jpeg

View from the passenger side looking at the lens unit.
image.jpeg

Side view of the lens unit, the joints are now much neater.
image.jpeg

View from outside, the lens is difficult to see which was the plan!
image.jpeg

Thank you for all the positive comments, always good to get feedback

Here are some more photos of v2 of the camera housing. I wasn't happy with the original shut lines, so I made a new version from another case. This time I wrapped it in tape before cutting, so the cut was a much cleaner and easier to fit back together.

I also realised the camera housing could be much smaller, so reduced the form of the camera by a fair amount.

View from the drivers side. The led lights are visible from the drivers seat, so you can check it is recording, but the möbius is hidden by the dots on the windscreen.
View attachment 23143

View from the passenger side looking at the lens unit.
View attachment 23144

Side view of the lens unit, the joints are now much neater.
View attachment 23145

View from outside, the lens is difficult to see which was the plan!
View attachment 23146
Hei Where do thet sell mobius cases, can you post a link please. I want istall stelt in my SLK.

Cases can be bought from Banggood or Gearbest I think, can't remember which ATM. One of the nicest things about Mobius is that all parts can be had cheaply and are drop-ins, not just certain ones or a generic that may need alteration to work.

LOVE the idea of sectioning a case to make a CMOS/lens housing. Super-clean, cheap, and easy. That idea is stellar :D

Phil

Thanks Phil, I appreciate your comments!

SLK, I bought a case from Banggood, they are less than $3. When you split the case, you will see the molding that holds the lens in place. I cut mine behind that line and another cut further back. You need to allow room for the curve on the rear of the case and the wires coming out of the lens. I would say the 'micro-mobius' is about a third the size of the original case!

Good luck, keep us updated with your install!

Chris

Back