Cyclist on a multi-lane freeway

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2
Hey, if they are going to go thru stop lights and signs, at the same time pointing they have the same rights as motorized vehicles ... why not drive in places at one time which was restricted only to motorized vehicles.

Actually that and walking on shoulder is still is illegal and hopefully always is. Cyclists seem to make their own rules or selectively follow them.

Hey, in my pre dash cam days, I even saw a guy on a skateboard several kms to the East of there. When I called the provincial police or 911, I apparently wasn't the only one calling.

Riding a bicycle on the freeway is legal in California if there is no alternate road that can be used to get where they are going.
I have seen bicycles on the 101 freeway quite often between towns where there are no parallel roads.

Cyclists seem to make their own rules or selectively follow them.

This exactly is why they seem to have so many problems in traffic, and why most motorists don't want to share the roads with them :( When you are the cause of the problem only you can create the correct solution. If others are forced to solve your problems because you won't, then you most certainly will not like their solutions :eek:

My perspective is that if you can't keep up with the traffic flow as whole then you don't belong there. If there are no other alternatives then it is the minority who should give way to the majority. We're still applying early 20th century thinking to bicycles in traffic when those days are long gone. What may have once worked adequately no longer does. It's time to get the situation dealt with based on the world as it is today which the cyclists will not like for the reason I stated above :p

Phil

Over here we have wayyyyy more miles of bicycle path than we have freeways / motorways, even if you split the motorways up in individual lanes and then add them together.

It is a pedal-pushers paradise here.

O and off course its not legal to walk - bicycle or ride 30 km/h or 45 km/h mopeds on our motorways.
And still that do not stop some people :rolleyes:

I even saw that the Copenhagen skyway bicycle path have been exported to some place in China where they build a 8 Km long version, taking the pedal pushers above the general traffic and the pollution at street level.

https://www.wired.com/2014/08/copenhagens-new-bike-skyway-makes-commuting-look-fun/

Riding a bicycle on the freeway is legal in California if there is no alternate road that can be used to get where they are going.
I have seen bicycles on the 101 freeway quite often between towns where there are no parallel roads.
that's because the 101 isn't an interstate - it's a us highway, where i do believe cyclists are technically legal. it's all fine and good for a cyclist to be on a US highway when it's a "highway" (complete with air finger-quotes) thru town and the speed limit tops out at 45-50 mph, and there are lots of intersections with traffic lights to make things easier and safer for cyclists (when they choose to follow the laws), but when it's been improved into an actual freeway with on/off ramps, high speed limits and no intersections, then it SHOULD be common sense that a bicycle does not belong there.

unfortunately, common sense ain't so common anymore.

i think i want to buy all three of these shirts: http://www.roadkilltshirts.com/Search.aspx?k=common+sense

Last edited:
The clip made the news

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/02/07/cyclist-crossing-hwy-401-captured-in-dash-cam-video.html

article discusses not only that, but other incidents the cammer (someone I follow and posted his clips here before) has captured. He has submitted his videos to the province police.

Cyclist crossing Hwy. 401 captured in dash cam video

Tow truck driver Wayne Edward posts dash cam videos featuring a wide array of illegal and dangerous road behaviour.

By PETER GOFFINStaff Reporter
Tues., Feb. 7, 2017

It’s a little after noon on Monday and Wayne Edward is driving westbound on Hwy. 401, approaching Hwy. 427.

Suddenly, a cyclist heading against traffic swings off the right shoulder and cuts diagonally across four lanes of highway, performing a U-turn before hopping off his bike by the opposite guard rail.

Edward captured the whole unsettling scene on video with the dashboard camera in his flatbed tow truck.

“I saw the black car (beside me) was braking... so I did a quick mirror check to see if I could change lanes to give the black car room to move over,” said Edward.

“When I looked back that’s when I saw the guy darting across the highway.”

A fellow truck driver has seen the cyclist cross the highway before and believes he is trying to get to his workplace in the area, he added.

bike.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x589.jpg

Video from a dashboard camera shows a cyclist crossing four lanes of Hwy. 401 near Hwy. 427 Monday. (WAYNE EDWARD / YOUTUBE)
photo-ci-dashcam7.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x724.jpg

Wayne Edward has a dashboard camera in his tow truck, which he uses to capture bizarre and illegal behaviour in traffic. (RENE JOHNSTON / TORONTO STAR) | his Youtube account.

“The cyclist could be charged with (being a) pedestrian or cyclist on the highway and taken off the highway,” said Sgt. Kerry Schmidt of the OPP’s Highway Safety Division.

“It’s just unbelievably dangerous ... He’s probably going to die before he gets charged.”

Schmidt was not aware of any calls made to the OPP regarding the incident.

Edward has driven a tow truck for Avis car rental since 2003. It’s a job that takes him all over Ontario and the eastern United States, and exposes him to more than his share of strange and illegal behaviour on roads and highways.

Eventually he mounted a camera on his dash to record some of the action.

“I just put it there because I’ve seen so many things and I thought it would be cool to catch them on video,” he said. “And I’ve got one in my personal vehicle too.”

Over the past eight years, Edward has posted nearly 80 traffic videos to his Youtube account.

In one, from 2009, a senior citizen in a motorized scooter “jaywalks” across Bathurst St. near Steeles Ave. W., forcing drivers to slam on their brakes.

A video from November 2016 shows an SUV driving in the wrong lane, heading into oncoming traffic.

A TTC streetcar running a red light, a speeding car spinning out on a snowy Hwy. 420, and all manner of vehicles dangerously passing, merging or tailgating a wide variety of vehicles tailgating or passing each other far too fast, round out Edward’s collection of videos.

The most memorable, Edward said, is a video from 2013, in which a transport trailer rear-ends a road salt truck on Hwy. 401 southwest of London, Ont.

The collision footage is one of a handful of videos Edward has turned over to police.

Schmidt said dash cam video submitted by the public have become a valuable resource for OPP highway officers.

“We’re getting more and more of them all the time and they are so helpful and beneficial for us,” he said. “It just gives us that objective look as to what we’re (investigating) on the roads, instead of someone’s witness statement.​

Last edited:
We had a little bit of freezing rain yesterday, which made the drive home interesting. Look at the side mirrors in the photo.

O yeah that stuff can catch out even the best driver :eek:

edit, section in blue was missed in original cut and paste.

It happened again. Different Highway.

Bicycle lanes are designed by engineers so why do you expect anything about them to be correct? :rolleyes:

Phil

Back