D33 Super Mini

Dashmellow

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Umpteen
I'm not suggesting anyone race out and buy this camera but I noticed it newly posted at FoxOffer and it caught my eye because of its size and general understanding of the interest in stealthiness for Dash Cams.

I like the fact that the logo is molded into the case (as jokiin intends for his cams) rather than silk screened on as well as the textured finish to most of the black case. It seems with the Mini 0801 and now the D33 the concept of small discreet cameras is finally catching on with Chinese manufacturers. With the right components and build quality the D33 in new iterations could be an attractive option. (A kind of Mobius with a screen, if you will.)

D33b.jpg

D33a.jpg

Last edited:
Nice size, tho i wouldent mind if they got even smaller ( W - H )
But offcourse if it have a screen it cant be mutch smaller i assume.

Found it 2 weeks ago on some Chinese website, but was hard to trace msnufacturer due to not speaking chinese and most info was printed on pictures.
Very promising form-factor. should be discrete install.
Hope night video quality is also good.
Day video quality looks nice.
Also could be installed as a rear camera.

Does not appear to be either a Novatek or Ambarella solution and records in AVI?

Does not appear to be either a Novatek or Ambarella solution and records in AVI?

Yes, that's why I said, "With the right components and build quality the D33 in new iterations could be an attractive option". I really mention this cam for its form factor only at this point. Perhaps we'll find out eventually what is inside this thing.

Discrete?
Why not simply have a remote lens in your screen & the dvr itself can be as big as you like - you can have all the bells and whistles you like in the main unit without a lot of the problems associated with miniaturising the components to fit inside a tiny case.

Discrete?
Why not simply have a remote lens in your screen & the dvr itself can be as big as you like - you can have all the bells and whistles you like in the main unit without a lot of the problems associated with miniaturising the components to fit inside a tiny case.

Yes, can be, but price will be many times higher. Its all about price and demand. If today most buyers want to spend 70-100 usd max then manufacturers will try to produce maximum performanse and minimal size within that price.
If "tomorrow" we all say to manufacturers: we are not cheap any more and we are ready to pay 300,400,500 usd then of course they will give us different product.

AIT or Sunplus possibly, form factor is almost right, they built it upside down, if the lens were at the bottom the install could be much more discrete

AIT or Sunplus possibly, form factor is almost right, they built it upside down, if the lens were at the bottom the install could be much more discrete

Upside down solution was my first thought when I saw it but if to add 180 degree image recording rotation and clip on bracket then it solves situation.

Looks like a standard tripod thread in the top so not what they were thinking I guess, close but still wrong, just goes to show that the people designing them still don't know how they're actually used

"they built it upside down, if the lens were at the bottom the install could be much more discrete"

I had the exact same thought when I saw this. In fact, if the lens were at the bottom the mounting point could be positioned in such a way so that about half the camera would be behind the mount rather than under it.

I had the exact same thought when I saw this. In fact, if the lens were at the bottom the mounting point could be positioned in such a way so that about half the camera would be behind the mount rather than under it.
my thoughts exactly

Back in post #6 speedman points out that the D33 looks quite a lot like the Garmin GDR35 and he is quite right. What is interesting is that the GDR35 is a dual camera system with the primary cam measuring 82mm x 66mm x 42 mm and a smaller 720p camera for the rear of a vehicle. The D33 measures only 45.8 x 45.8 x 20.5mm and it appears that it is an almost exact copy of the GDR35 rear cam but with components for a 1080p unit of some sort.

As these kind of Chinese knock-offs go it is a clever sort of concept rip-off to use the form factor of the smaller rear cam as a primary cam.

GDR35_img04.jpg

D33b.jpg

GDR35D-250x250.jpg

Last edited:
If they're going to do a knockoff at least they picked a decent design to copy, better than what they normally produce

Thanks for posting the video billknow! While not the best nighttime video, it isn't bad at all. I was impressed by the shadow detail among the trees and darker areas along the sides of the FOV. The video makes me even more curious to know what sensor and DSP are in this camera.

Last edited:
Mainboard picture, can jokkin confirm the solution?
there's a couple of Russian references to the same chip in some cheap public model camera and claiming to be a new 'smaller' Ambarella A7 variant, the numbers don't match anything I've got from Ambarella, personally I'd be a bit suspicious that these have been silk screened, there's been a bit of that going on recently and more than a few suppliers are doing it, if that is the case I'd really need to see it and compare to some other product to try and work out what it really is

if it works well and the price is ok then I don't see the need to try and pretend to be some different solution

Back