D33 Super Mini

Maybe I should have said "superficial" resemblance. Also, come to think of it, there is no indication of size and it's hard to tell if the photo is even to scale when you look at the base unit and the cam.

hard to tell from that pic, here's a pic for size reference although this version also has GPS built into the cam mount so it's a little bigger

cam size.jpg

Edit: I'm also curious about what appears in the photo to be a cable with an HDMI designation connecting the base unit with the lens module.

Camera is connected via a mini HDMI cable, depending on hardware used it can go up to 5m from the DVR

jokiin could probably speak to this question better than me but I believe this camera, like many others, is not marketed in the West.

yeah Russia only at this stage, I was going to do a version of this previously but there were too many shortcomings that needed to be addressed, it was easier just to start fresh and do it over

hard to tell from that pic, here's a pic for size reference although this version also has GPS built into the cam mount so it's a little bigger

Thanks jokiin. The web site says 78.5mm x 52mm x 16 mm but that would be the base unit. Still, we could infer from the photo (maybe) that the remote cam is maybe half that size or less.

Camera is connected via a mini HDMI cable, depending on hardware used it can go up to 5m from the DVR

That is very interesting as it could open up a lot of creative possibilities about how one could use this camera. As one example, as I mentioned in another thread, I've experimented a little bit with using a Mobius for wildlife observation using long run bus powered USB cable.

Thanks jokiin. The web site says 78.5mm x 52mm x 16 mm but that would be the base unit. Still, we could infer that the remote cam is maybe half that size or less.

yes that would be the base unit, the camera is very small, it's only the size of the CMOS, lens and a bit of room for the mini HDMI connector, not a lot bigger than that in total and just a small bracket, the photo doesn't really show it clearly

I'm becoming more and more fascinated by the idea of small cameras, especially since having a Mobius for a few months and seeing how versatile and discreet it is. The D33/Mini 800 series could be especially compelling if developed to a higher level of performance and I'm glad to see this style of camera becoming available. I was perusing the website for Raymon.Chan's company, MEGtech and came across an interesting camera (also not marketed in the West) - the X72 that has a small remote rear cam on a cable and uses the Ambarella A7L-A chip-set. It would be very interesting to see a version of this camera developed into a stand alone small camera or a remote cam on a base unit/monitor.....or perhaps a system with two small cams. Maybe Raymon can offer some comments, info and thoughts?

x72a.jpg

Last edited:
it's not a matter of not being marketed in the west, these are just new models so you'll start to see them out once mass production starts happening, dual remote cams in this sort of setup is possible, will take a while though and there's a lot to doing it right, I expect we'll see quite a few that miss the mark

it's not a matter of not being marketed in the west, these are just new models so you'll start to see them out once mass production starts happening, dual remote cams in this sort of setup is possible, will take a while though and there's a lot to doing it right, I expect we'll see quite a few that miss the mark

You are right. As usual, I think most will miss the mark in one way or another. That's why so few rise to the top. There is a mystifying mindset to some of the design concepts we see in dashcams, as you know. I mean, look at the photo I posted and ask yourself, why would a company offer a tiny, discreet remote rear camera and put a shiny chrome ring around the lens? I understand there are cultural differences and attitudes towards dash cams but there is also common sense (or should be) about the logic behind making a tiny camera in the first place.

You are right. As usual, I think most will miss the mark in one way or another. That's why so few rise to the top. There is a mystifying mindset to some of the design concepts we see in dashcams, as you know. I mean, look at the photo I posted and ask yourself, why would a company offer a tiny, discreet remote rear camera and put a shiny chrome ring around the lens? I understand there are cultural differences and attitudes towards dash cams but there is also common sense (or should be) about the logic behind making a tiny camera in the first place.

the cultural ideas that carry over into design don't work for us, believe me when I show Chinese people our one they're not that impressed and always mention that it needs some chrome or whatever to make it look good ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I won't be adding any chrome, I can assure you of that

Easy now jokiin, you're getting me excited :)

I understand there are cultural differences and attitudes towards dash cams but there is also common sense (or should be) about the logic behind making a tiny camera in the first place.

Great summarize, "cultural differences"! depends on the ID designer!

there's not even any printing, all labels, markings etc are molded in

works great for your branded, not OEM.
factories have to concern the OEM customers.

the X72 that has a small remote rear cam on a cable and uses the Ambarella A7L-A chip-set.
View attachment 2227
Yes the X72 is dual cameras, both 1080P recording. X71 is alone build-in camera with WDR&GPS&LDWS.
In fact, there is another model which extend the alone camera out with a long cable, other details same with X71 (Amberalla A7); we didn't show it up to public.
(no camera on the console body.)
X73.jpg

Edit: The camera on this unit bears an interesting resemblance to the D33. Certainly, a remote lens/sensor module could be far smaller.
the incidental unit is a camera unit only, include image sensor, lens, connectors, but not include the main PCBA of the dash camera.
by the way, Samoon is the biggest dash camera supplier, or top two.

there's not even any printing, all labels, markings etc are molded in

works great for your branded, not OEM.
factories have to concern the OEM customers.

One of the reasons I posted about the D33 in the first place was not only its small size but that it has the product name molded into the shell with no paint or silk screening, so in this instance, based on what Rayman is saying, the OEM must have requested this, yes?

D33c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the X72 is dual cameras, both 1080P recording. X71 is alone build-in camera with WDR&GPS&LDWS.
In fact, there is another model which extend the alone camera out with a long cable, other details same with X71 (Amberalla A7); we didn't show it up to public.
(no camera on the console body.)
View attachment 2236
So, if we can have this unit but with 2 remote cams, I'll take a couple. I don't care if the largest market wants chrome rings and shiny cases (I can take them off)!
I don't care if there is a base model that doesn't have gps, motion sensor etc etc. All I am interested in is something hidden away that'll record when I turn on the ignition & turn off when I leave the car.

Back