D33 Super Mini

could be done at a reasonable upcost and I'm sure there's appeal, but there's also a lot of challenges to getting the design right, sounds appealing having a camera up front and hiding the DVR away, but then how about the microphone, how about when you want to turn the microphone off or on while recording, or what about when you want to manually save a file, and if you want GPS, stuff that we take for granted when everything is up on the window within easy reach

it's something I'm looking at but it's not really that straightforward
Do people really keep turning the mic on and off? For me, a dvr under the dash would be able to pick up my indicator relay clicking and, being under the dash, would afford passengers some privacy. but for anyone that wants a mic to record & the ability to turn on/off, why not also provide a socket for external mic & then provide (at cost) a suitable external mic with on/off button? (and maybe include an additional button for saving a file?).
Although, to be honest, I've never had a need for that - my DR32 will just about fit a full day's filming onto a 32GB card & I review files at the end of the day.
Did you mention the GPS because it needs a window-mounted aerial? Again, this could be offered as part of an upgrade?
If you want GPS, buy the extension pack which would include window mount aerial plus firmware upgrade?

Do people really keep turning the mic on and off? For me, a dvr under the dash would be able to pick up my indicator relay clicking and, being under the dash, would afford passengers some privacy. but for anyone that wants a mic to record & the ability to turn on/off, why not also provide a socket for external mic & then provide (at cost) a suitable external mic with on/off button? (and maybe include an additional button for saving a file?).
Although, to be honest, I've never had a need for that - my DR32 will just about fit a full day's filming onto a 32GB card & I review files at the end of the day.
Did you mention the GPS because it needs a window-mounted aerial? Again, this could be offered as part of an upgrade?
If you want GPS, buy the extension pack which would include window mount aerial plus firmware upgrade?

all well and good but you then start to add complexity, extra cables, optional extras, messier install, all the things you want to avoid, it's not as simple a product as it might seem

You could have a console mounted DVR with cables going to front and rear lens modules.........and as an option, one module for each side window...and a cable going up to a GPS antenna. It could be called the Dash Spider? :D

Seriously though, I agree with jokiin.....avoid making it overly complex......keep it simple. Personally, I like the idea of a GPS module as part of the mount.

Einstein said it best, "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

Last edited:
all well and good but you then start to add complexity, extra cables, optional extras, messier install, all the things you want to avoid, it's not as simple a product as it might seem
agree

When you say "messier install"...
The DR32 in my bus at work has the one cable - which is routed across the dash, up the side of the screen & then across the top of the screen - all held in place with blue-tack (to make it semi-permanent). the few times I have to swap vehicles, this all has to come out.
In my car...
The F70 has 2 cables - power & rear lens.
Since the cam is mounted close to the side at the top of the screen, the cable is only hidden behind the trim to the side of the screen - loosen 2 screws.
The cable to the rear screen was tucked behind the trim to run it to the rear screen.
My satnav has a whopping big power cable running to the screen mount, it also has a smaller cable attached to the screen to access traffic info along route.
My mobile has a small power cable running to it.
My reversing cam has a power cable from the fuseboard up behind the window trim. It also has a cable to the lens hidden in the number plate light in my tailgate (which also has a feed running to/from the reversing light.

An under dash solution would hardly require much more of a messier install than any other gadget we install - especially given the people out there who love to chop the plug and wire things directly to the car.

I would far sooner have the slight hassle of mounting a hidden DVR than having all the hassle of someone breaking in because they see an expensive dashcam hanging off my windscreen.
No matter how black these things seem to be, once the sun comes out, they can stand out like a pimple on a bum.
As to the complexity - is it really that complex? I know my cheapo F70 isn't seen as the most reliable or even the greatest dashcam out there, but in the main, it seems to manage to record from two lenses without much hassle and, to be honest, if the industry doesn't come out with a half decent 4 cam solution, I might simply buy another F70 to cover the side windows. It'll be hassle running ignition power to the rear of the car - but I feel it'd be worth it.
(And maybe copy an idea from my reversing cam - the cable for the lens is only a few inches long, the main cable running through the car has a plug on one end and a socket on the other.
Therefore, if you want to upgrade the system, a new lens is easy to install with minimal hassle - or a new DVR could be installed by simply unplugging a few cables - 4 cams, 1 mic, 1 power, 1 gps.

a new DVR could be installed by simply unplugging a few cables - 4 cams, 1 mic, 1 power, 1 gps.

current none dash camera can support 4 channel recording.
only the vehicle black box can support 4 channel D1 resolution, but not HD or FullHD.

Now I am sure it use AIT8427 chip. I tried to update the FW which support gps logger feature, I see the upgrade guide mentioned AIT8427.

Now I am sure it use AIT8427 chip. I tried to update the FW which support gps logger feature, I see the upgrade guide mentioned AIT8427.
;) no secret on DCT

;) no secret on DCT

I don't believe there's any benefit to be had in pretending the chipset is something else, it has nothing to do with patents and everything to do with pretending it's something that it's not, makes no sense at all, there are no secrets, DOD tried pretending they have their own chipset and were found out very quickly, it just makes them look stupid, they still do it even though everyone knows, crazy

I don't believe there's any benefit to be had in pretending the chipset is something else
yes we understand this. But, the customer asked for this, even more cost...........

yes we understand this. But, the customer asked for this, even more cost...........

yes I understand in most cases it's the customers asking for this, still can't see any advantage, before they even get a chance to sell it the truth gets revealed so what should a potential customer think about it then, it discredits the product in my opinion

Back