DAB interference from PowerBank

joe384

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
2 x DR590W-2CH, Cellink B
I noticed my DAB would cut out when using my Viofo A139 recently, which I found odd as I've tested this dashcam quite a lot.

I eventually found out it was the PowerBank (yes!). There are no issues when I am plugged into the cars power or my cellink.

Some of you may remember I had a similar problem with my blueskysea B1W (inteference with GPS). I don't think I ever tested without the powerbank (which was really stupid of me if that's the case)

I am wondering if this is an earthing problem?

Yeah DAB and also satellite radio seem very sensitive, it is often that issue pop up in here.

The solutions are always the same, try ferrite bead on the wire, or in case or rear camera being the problem reroute the wire.

I noticed my DAB would cut out when using my Viofo A139 recently, which I found odd as I've tested this dashcam quite a lot.

I eventually found out it was the PowerBank (yes!). There are no issues when I am plugged into the cars power or my cellink.

Some of you may remember I had a similar problem with my blueskysea B1W (inteference with GPS). I don't think I ever tested without the powerbank (which was really stupid of me if that's the case)

I am wondering if this is an earthing problem?

As some here know, I've been testing and using a number of different power banks over the years. There's a reasonable chance that a different power bank won't cause this problem. Another power bank may have better electronic filtering and/or shielding.

Yeah.
Also first time i have heard of RF noise from a power bank when used in combination with dashcam.

Yeah.
Also first time i have heard of RF noise from a power bank when used in combination with dashcam.
Same here, and kudos to @joe384 for finding this and sharing it with us (y) I would not have expected it but I can see that it's possible. All modern voltage regulation and conversion is done via "switching mode" which by it's very nature will produce some RF signals somewhere on the spectrum. Good design, shielding, and filtering can mitigate most of that but consumer goods rarely get anything which is not required by law and very little is done for us in that regard :(

Can't say that I ever saw much need for DAB but it's here and will be coming to the USA too. Hopefully we will require the receivers be done to a better standard to help eliminate interference and drop-outs but I don't expect much there. You can't stop "progress" even when it's not moving forward as people thought it would :rolleyes:

Phil

You might get a big improvement by using a better shielded cable from the powerbank to camera.

Can't say that I ever saw much need for DAB but it's here and will be coming to the USA too. Hopefully we will require the receivers be done to a better standard to help eliminate interference and drop-outs but I don't expect much there. You can't stop "progress" even when it's not moving forward as people thought it would :rolleyes:
It is easy to find fault with DAB when it isn't working, but remember that the old analogue also didn't work well at times. I believe that our DAB is now better than the analogue for reception coverage over most of the country, it will often produce perfect quality in places that the analogue is poor and variable, it also provides far more channels.

I believe that our DAB is now better than the analogue for reception coverage over most of the country
geographical advantage, DAB in big countries is a much bigger challenge, end users think that it should just work everywhere, never going to happen where we are

geographical advantage, DAB in big countries is a much bigger challenge, end users think that it should just work everywhere, never going to happen where we are
True, we didn't design it for big countries, but to some extent you can just turn up the power to cope with larger areas as long as you have extra spacing between the transmitters. Ours is working surprisingly well in deep valleys these days, didn't when it was new but power was being limited due to lack of frequency space in the early years.

It is not a big issue, I have only been using the powerbanks since I stripped out a lot of the my wiring, so they are only a temporary measure. They are also cheap ones as well.

I was just relieved it wasn't the dashcam and also suprised how the minute you turn on the power bank and the dashcam starts drawing power I lose the DAB stations!

I also have some anker powerbanks, it would be interesting to see what happens with those.

Back