DAB radio drop out problems

Jonah

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently changed my car to a Ford Kuga which has DAB radio with an aerial in the rear window. Before getting the front and rear camera installed, DAB radio reception was brilliant with no drop-outs. Since installation, DAB constantly drops out for minutes at a time. This happens on all stations, some it seems are worse than others for dropping out.

I believe that the rear camera or cable is to blame. I have tested this theory by unplugging the rear camera from the front camera and reception is again perfect with no drop-outs. When the rear camera is plugged back in, drop outs happen constantly.

Does anyone know how this problem can be sorted?

For info: the cameras were installed by Halfords with them being hard wired in.

Hi Jonah,

Thanks for your question. So the reason for this is relatively simple;
because your aerial is within the rear window itself, you're then sticking a device with electronic noise directly onto your aerial, which is distorting the signal. The only thing I could suggest, apart from trying to re-position the Rear Camera (try not to put it on any heating elements or lines within the window) is to install some ferrite cores around the Camera's cable, which should help to insulate any electronic noise.

Do you have any of these ferrite cores to hand? If not, please drop me a direct message and I'll be able to help.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Thanks for the reply Millie. If this is a known problem, I'm surprised that Nextbase don't supply cabling which is insulated against electronic noise as standard.

I have never heard of ferrite cores so I will send you a PM shortly.

All of our devices are thoroughly tested for elecro-magnetic compatibility (EMC) as part of EU regulation, and all our Dash Cams are well below the limits set. Our cables are also insulated, as our the Dash Cams themselves.

Unfortunately some radios are far more susceptible to interference than others, especially when the rear window is the aerial itself. Ferrite cores usually help to suppress this. Usually we'd suggest to change the routing of the power cable to avoid the aerial for the radio, but in some vehicles this is impossible, such as yours, purely due to the window being the aerial rather than the vehicle having a separate aerial.

I look forward to your message.

Regards,
Millie

Most rear cams can affected no matter which brand.

It's one of those situations which presents itself and can be frustrating and hard sometimes to rectify.

The problem is not brand specific.

Back