DAB

Buff69

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi anyone have interference with there DAB radio while using the rear camera thanks

You are not alone, although I haven't had the problem. Try stringing the rear cable down the other side of the car. A real pain in the butt if you have done a good job of it rather than a test lash up (which is always a good idea)

Thanks M8TJT so it looks like all rear cams do this so why can’t manufactures do something about the problem. We pay enough for the Dashcams in the first place only to have trouble and have to mess around with fitting. Oh the joys of wires lol

Not all do. The rear cam for my 750 2CH doesn't kill DAB on my Civic.

There's some help for this HERE and HERE and HERE ;)

Essentially all RFI issues are the same, so the same solutions will apply with DAB. In short you want as much distance as possible between the cam and it's cabling, and the antenna and it's cabling. Snap-on ferrite chokes can help when used near the ends of cables (sometimes it takes more than one). Shielded cables or home-made shielding can also sometimes help. Try these solutions first before moving cams and cables.

No car or car audio manufacturer can design against every form of interference- the best they can do is test for problems with their own cars equipment or to follow good engineering practice regards shielding. Some cam manufacturers do better with shielding than others, but they too can't test their products with every possible car or installation. The problem comes from both ends and can usually be helped at least somewhat, but sometimes there's no easy solution and occasionally no solution at all.

It's a pain to undo an install, but that's what you have to do if added cable shielding and chokes don't get you acceptable results. Test the new cable routing by temporarily taping the cam cables as close as possible to where you want them to go, and do similar with the cam module. You car dealer may be helpful in telling you where the antenna and it's cable locations are so you can avoid their proximity. You may have no choice but to offset the cam to one side to avoid centered antennas, but at least you'll hopefully have both systems working that way.

Persistence and patience pays off here- rare are the cases where even a compromised solution couldn't be found. Sometimes a perfect solution can be found but don't expect that as that too doesn't often happen. All you can do is try different things till you get the best you can and hope that's enough. Good luck with this!

Phil

Thanks for the help and info,I haven’t got the cam yet or the car it’s going in to lol.
I’m liking the 750 and the new 4K one and it’s going in a RAV4 which we should get end of December or before hopefully, I’m asking this now so I have the knowledge to do a good install, the other cam on the short list is the Viofo duo pro. Il be either connecting via obd2 or external battery. On the RAV4 the aerial is a shark fin type but don’t know where the cable is routed so will try and find out cheers

If you partly pull of the rubber seal around the nearest door, you might be able to ease down the headlining enough to see where the cables go. In my experience they often go along the headlining then down one of the A frames.

Back