Damaged rear camera cable

thomas harley

Reaction score
Country
United States
LGD521 cable from rear camera damaged....can i remove the damage & reattach to the plug?......buy a new cable, which may not be possible since this system is not on the forum..banned?
i have had it for almost 3 year & am just hooking up for the first time....front is OK but when i plug in rear it turns off, then i found the damage behind the A-pillar
I would like to splice or remove damage & reattach to plug but have not found how-to

you can probably reconnect the existing plug, from the manual it looks like it's just a common 3.5mm plug

good to know it can be done...have enough skill with household wiring, but never disassembled a dashcam cable/plug....just twist/pull/pry until it opens, then splice/solder the wires (4?) to the plug ?
if it is that easy i will be happy thanks
i guess LG dropped the ball somewhere with this system since no one has it anymore & most retail people do not want to even talk about a LGD521...may be to my long benefit to get a newer system installed by a shop?

I think I would cut the wire and rejoin the individual conductors with a soldering iron, only problem then is the shield if it has one, but that is probably not critical as long as there is a connection. Use some heat shrink tube over each conductor to provide the insulation.

If you play with the plug then you will quite likely need to get a new one and the soldering will be more difficult than repairing the middle of the cable.

It's not a common camera, and a bit outdated now with only 720 resolution on the rear, but much better than to have nothing.

If it's a shielded cable, make sure the shield connections are exposed on both sides, then wrap the repair with aluminum foil covered with shrink wrap. Not a perfect repair but it performs well enough as long as you don't flex the cable at this point.

Phil

If it's a shielded cable, make sure the shield connections are exposed on both sides, then wrap the repair with aluminum foil covered with shrink wrap. Not a perfect repair but it performs well enough as long as you don't flex the cable at this point.

Phil
will get that done thanks

Back