Damn dog...

Module 79L

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Dash Cam
AT11DA, SG9665XS, G1W-H
I always do my best to avoid hitting animals on the road (except for snakes and rats) but if it was some random cat or dog and I couldn't avoid running them over, I wouldn't feel that bad. In this case it would be very complicated because I know the dog and the owner is my former driving instructor. :(

Last edited:
Good save, and I hope the dog learned to stay away from cars.

Phil

I both love dogs and don't want to damage my vehicle (or anyone else's property) but if that's my only choice it's "Sorry, dog" as humanity matters more. I'll do what I can but I'm only half of the equation, and if the dog insists on committing suicide there's nothing I can do about that.

My last dog avoided roads and traffic, but she was rather haughty and would not move once laid down in the HER driveway. To teach her better behavior one day I slowly creeped forward until the front wheel pressed against her. She didn't bat an eyelash and it was I that got taught instead :p Best little friend I ever had and I still miss her crazy ways.

Phil

We had a dog like that ( Tibetan spaniel ) and it did die under a car, problem was the little dog was also a escape artist, so in spite of a dual layer of fence and a thick hedge around our garden the little dog managed to get out once in a while.

But at least the little dog managed to escape and get home alive for 5 years or so before it died at the age of 10.

Oh man.
Now he has to try again as his 1st suicide attempt failed. ;)

Why did you brake then? ;)
:D:D:D
Rats are not that big (or those dogs are not that small). :p
However, I've seen some seriously big rats HERE. It's said that there's a network of tunnels linking the palace to the nearby beach resort of Ericeira but no one could ever prove their existence. What's known is that the palace has 3 underground floors that are sealed with concrete because they're infested with rats, and that sometimes they manage to come out through the sewage system. I did part of the military service there and I've seen some as big as rabbits.

Sound like a place for me and my airgun, perhaps a all expense paid "vacation" next year. :cool:

Day or night, if it creep or crawl and is within 50 M its dead as soon as it stop moving for a few seconds. :)

Sounds like you've never heard of a nutria. Many moons ago, I saw a couple of them that had got into a neighbor's attic and were building a nest. Hard to catch, since we didn't want them to die in the attic and stink up the house.

Sound like a place for me and my airgun, perhaps a all expense paid "vacation" next year. :cool:

Day or night, if it creep or crawl and is within 50 M its dead as soon as it stop moving for a few seconds. :)
The problem is that they only come up once in a while, so it would probably be a boring vacation for you. :D

Many years ago, the local City Hall and the authority in charge of the national patrimony hired a foreign company specialized in pest control and they estimated (just an estimate, even they couldn't determine how big the infestation is) that just to control it (not to get rid of it) they would have to get everyone evacuated from an area with a 15km radius for 3 months! That impossibility and also all the unpredictable consequences of "flushing" out an undetermined amount of rats to the surface without being able to know where or when they would come out, led to leaving it as it is.

Since this thread has already gone off course, here's another piece of trivia for you: the Palace of Mafra withstood the 1755 earthquake and was certified by engineers and demolition experts to be nuclear proof. Its construction is surrounded by a lot of myths and stories and many people believe it was built by aliens. :confused::D

Nutrias have weakened the earthen levees around New Orleans with their tunneling, and that played a role when Ktrina visited there. When I first moved in here ten years ago I spied something under my car, thinking it was a small adult cat at first but something didn't look right so I looked closer- it was a rat :eek: Meeting the neighbors confirmed it, they had been having problems with them for years. I found several tunnels leading under my house slab and I dropped poison in then covered the holes securely. I trapped two half the size of the one I saw the next day and three more the following week. About once a year me or a neighbor will see one or two but that's it. Twice my dog has caught one and left it on my walkway. To be expected in a 250 year old city I guess and I can live with how it is now.

My current dog doesn't like leaving her yard or to be near moving cars. I can live with that too.

Phil

Back