Dangers of a dash cam...

I usually will swear or say stuff (in spanish, my native language) when I feel a dangerous situation is going to happen.

That time when I nearly understeered towards a guardrail for example.

I usually will swear or say stuff (in spanish, my native language) when I feel a dangerous situation is going to happen.

That time when I nearly understeered towards a guardrail for example.

I think probably most people swear in situations like that but it's a genuine spontaneous reaction rather than something calculated to make things seem worse than they really are.

when i was in that wreck with a truck that didn't turn from a left turn only lane, i didn't swear till afterwards, once we'd come to a stop and i turned on the emergency flashers. just before the hit, i flinched, jerked my hand/arm away from the door he was about to hit, and held my breath. didn't really think about it.

also, adrenaline often gives you hyper-focus, so unless you practice lying and faking injuries, chances are it won't work right and will look and sound fake/forced when the time comes. which in itself makes you no better than the scammers out there.

like this girl in the white car:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...shcam-gps-data-clearly-shows-otherwise.13792/

when i was in that wreck with a truck that didn't turn from a left turn only lane, i didn't swear till afterwards, once we'd come to a stop and i turned on the emergency flashers. just before the hit, i flinched, jerked my hand/arm away from the door he was about to hit, and held my breath. didn't really think about it.

also, adrenaline often gives you hyper-focus, so unless you practice lying and faking injuries, chances are it won't work right and will look and sound fake/forced when the time comes. which in itself makes you no better than the scammers out there.

like this girl in the white car:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...shcam-gps-data-clearly-shows-otherwise.13792/

Another perfect example of why we have dash cams!

Here, it's a poor driver who intends to blame the victim for the consequences not realizing the victim can prove otherwise.

Last edited:
Exchange informations, biich plz....only the dumbs and being so nice would do that. Folks that ask to exchange infos are one who will flip the story aka fraud insurance.

I never thought to do anything but honk the horn.

Sometimes you have time to react, sometimes not so much. Other times you react after a perceived danger is over.

Uhh in most USA states now the cops will not come unless there are injuries, they expect you to exchange info with the other driver. So the comment of only "dumbs & being so nice" is incorrect for most.
I know I saw an article around here on the forums about how in Las Vegas now the cops wont come to an accident unless there are injuries, but at the moment I cant find it. But I did find this article after a quick websearch... https://www.safetyinsurance.com/resource_center/personalauto/accidentscene.html
and this one from Chicago Tribune.. http://www.chicagotribune.com/class...ar-accident-what-to-do-next-112310-story.html
Now, I am not a lawyer, nor do I know the law in all 50 states & I have not a clue on countries outside the states as I never drove when I was in the military, so YMMV.

After I was rear ended several years ago (front car in a 3-car pileup) my insurance said they wouldn't do anything without a police report. Then they found out that the guy who caused it was also insured by the same company I use. So they paid up.

After I was rear ended several years ago (front car in a 3-car pileup) my insurance said they wouldn't do anything without a police report. Then they found out that the guy who caused it was also insured by the same company I use. So they paid up.
Over here is the opposite: if you're unlucky enough to be involved in an accident, and you're not at fault, with a driver insured by the same company as you, you're screwed!

One thing I've learned from the years I've been around is that unless you are absolutely positive that you have not been injured it is best to assume that you have been until a Doctor says otherwise. As a passenger in a severe crash, I thought I wasn't hurt, never realizing that I was in a state of shock until about twenty minutes later. Years afterward I had health problems which were probably caused by injuries sustained in that crash but since I wasn't checked out post-crash I'll never know for sure, only that is was possible related. So unless the shunt is very minor I presume I have been injured and that's how I will report it. I'm sorry the Police don't want to be bothered to do their job but that's their problem, not mine, so let them own it.

Phil

One thing I've learned from the years I've been around is that unless you are absolutely positive that you have not been injured it is best to assume that you have been until a Doctor says otherwise. As a passenger in a severe crash, I thought I wasn't hurt, never realizing that I was in a state of shock until about twenty minutes later. Years afterward I had health problems which were probably caused by injuries sustained in that crash but since I wasn't checked out post-crash I'll never know for sure, only that is was possible related. So unless the shunt is very minor I presume I have been injured and that's how I will report it. I'm sorry the Police don't want to be bothered to do their job but that's their problem, not mine, so let them own it.

Phil

I agree. I had always heard the term "shock", but never understood what it actually meant until I experienced it.

I agree. I had always heard the term "shock", but never understood what it actually meant until I experienced it.
I've never experienced it first hand but observed it when I was in the military.

A guy I was stationed with got his arm caught in a winch and was pulled in almost up to his elbow. The quickest, and theoretically safest, way to get his arm out was to reverse the winch and 'back' it out. He later told me he felt no pain at all until he woke up after the subsequent surgery done to repair the dozen or so bone fractures.

I've never experienced it first hand but observed it when I was in the military.

A guy I was stationed with got his arm caught in a winch and was pulled in almost up to his elbow. The quickest, and theoretically safest, way to get his arm out was to reverse the winch and 'back' it out. He later told me he felt no pain at all until he woke up after the subsequent surgery done to repair the dozen or so bone fractures.

I can vouch for the no pain theory.

As a 9 year old I jumped off a swing and landed on my arm and although there was no pain I went home cradling it as I knew something was wrong.

15 minutes later at home my mum rolled up my long sleeved jumper and we both saw the "s" shape just above my wrist and the moment she exclaimed "its broken" I felt intense pain and it did nt stop until I woke up in hospital with a pot on !

I remember traumatic things well :D on another occasion my mum could nt believe I could describe the saw room and colours of the walls and how many people were in the room when I had a broken leg pot off at the age of 8 months....

...when I had a broken leg pot off at the age of 8 months....
All right, this just begs the question - How did you get a broken leg at 8 months? :eek:

How did you get a broken leg at 8 months
With a little force, it's easy done; find some babies to test :D
The right question is: how could some remember what happened at such an early age.

With a little force, it's easy done; find some babies to test :D....
I've raised 4. It's surprising how 'flexible' babies are. :eek:

I was talking about human nature. Risk perception changes attitudes and actions for most people. ...Between 1974 and 1982 cycling mileage in Britain increased 70%, but there was no increase in fatalities until the seatbelt law was introduced in 1983 ...Cyclists who wear protective helmets are more likely to be knocked down by passing vehicles, new research from Bath University suggests.
While you're right about habits changing, generalizing is a big mistake; anyway, the weirdest title is the one from BBC: Wearing helmets 'more dangerous' :Do_O
People tend to think they are immortals and, when the problems strike, they can't cope with reality. All these safety features are useful, but there isn't yet one to make people less morons (probably smart cars are the answer).

I recall reading where someone said they might let another car hit them because their dash cam would prove they were not at fault.
Following some youtube channels presenting accidents (mostly from Russia), I've asked the same. Some accidents could have been easily avoided; of course, it's easier to analyse from behind the screen.

Enough to sometimes annoy the people behind me.
As long as you follow road rules, you shouldn't be annoyed; if, for some reason, someone is annoyed, then he shouldn't be on the road at that time.

it is best to assume that you have been until a Doctor says otherwise
This made me remember about a story: three years ago the father and the sister of one of my colleague were involved in an accident. While his sister was hospitalised, his father didn't show any visible trauma. He died months later as he developed a brain blood clot.

As long as you follow road rules, you shouldn't be annoyed; if, for some reason, someone is annoyed, then he shouldn't be on the road at that time.
True, but they are on the roads nonetheless.
Another annoying thing I do is obey 20mph speed limits. They are all over the place in London now. Entire boroughs are defined as 20mph zones (except major roads where it is out of the local council's hands, I believe.) They are utterly ridiculous and unjustified but I (mostly) obey them. People don't like that, I can tell you.

True, but they are on the roads nonetheless.
While indeed you should be aware of the presence of other drivers, there should be only one set of rules: road rules (independently if those speeds are 20mph or 200mph; not for the sake of respecting the law, but having a common set of rules).

Yes, but safety is a higher priority still.
What do you do if you're joining a motorway from a slip road and need to move into a gap - but the traffic is exceeding the speed limit?
  1. Exceed the limit and perform the manoeuvre safely?
  2. Stick to the limit and force your way in dangerously?
  3. Stop on the slip road?
Sadly we don't always have the luxury of a safe, legal option. Even stopping (the last-resort get out) isn't always a good choice. So sometimes, a little compromise is forced on us.

Back