jmdlcar

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Maxi, Mobius 2
Rename thread.

Last edited:
I am getting a Olds Barvada and the back windows are tinted if I put my Mobius 2 in the back Window will have any problem with the video recording?

I take it that it won't work.

It will work, but the question is more of what your expectations are. And with this cam being EOL/abandoned, it wouldn't be my personal choice regardless.

Phil

I guest if I could sell my Mobius 2 I could buy a Mobius 1 or another Mobius Maxi. I could reinstall the Lens the Mobius 2 had when I bought it.

I seem to recall a couple DCT members in Europe or Asia who use and like the M2, but shipping that far would be a problem. Since you've got it, you could try it and see whether you like the results using a temporay mount of some sort. It's got good enough vids for a rear cam on clear glass IMHO but lacking all the adjustability of the M1 means there's a limit to what it will deliver.

Much sadness over the M2, which like the JooVuu "X" could have been really nice if the problems had been resolved better. Still hoping the Maxi will do what the M2 should have but as of right now the only Mobius I like is the hoary old M1- outdated as it may be it is still excellent and even unmatched in certain situations.

Phil

I am getting a Olds Barvada and the back windows are tinted if I put my Mobius 2 in the back Window will have any problem with the video recording?

You can increase the exposure value in the GUI and it should work fine, except that the videos will have increased motion blur due to the longer shutter speeds. The best thing to do would be to try it out using different exposure settings and see if you are satisfied with the results. You can always buy a different camera later.

I use Mobius 1 cameras for side views behind tinted windows and this requires that I increase the exposure. I'm very happy with the results I achieve but side facing cameras can be subject to motion blur in many situations no matter what EV setting you use unless the conditions are extremely bright.

In your favour, rear cameras spend much of their time recording someone following you, so there's not so much motion blur compared to front or side-facing cameras. As it happens, the M2 is better than most cameras for motion blur since it runs at a relatively high gain. The downside of cranking up the gain is that it's much noisier than most cameras, so you will lose the finer details as a result.

Since you have gone to the trouble of installing that 4.35mm lens in the M2 it would be a shame not to use it. I find ~4mm is a good focal length for a single rear-facing camera, although I'm sure others will have a different opinion.

Back