Dash - a new website to view and analyse dash cam videos

This is very very insightful @Nigel, thank you. I have not yet tried RegistratorViewer and have not found that much information about it online so will be looking into getting a Windows machine sometime in May and download it for a try. Out of curiosity what was/is the most amazing thing (to you) about RegistratorViewer?

Not sure "technical" is the right word, you simply need to understand the options available on the command line, how to write them, and how to put them together - engineering skills.

But not everyone even knows what the command line is - solid engineering skills to be able to tell the machine what you want and have it :D

The video in your dropbox Ed is from the 4K pro, yeah, and I paid under £35 I think but I should use Resolve cos that's meant to be miles better but its quite technical...

The video in your dropbox Ed is from the 4K pro, yeah, and I paid under £35 I think but I should use Resolve cos that's meant to be miles better but its quite technical...

Great @Paul Iddon . I was definitely able to upload successfully and see GPS and speed data displayed. Also it played very smoothly in Dash but on my Macbook Pro it was very slow (framerate seemed to be 10 frames per second or less). Did you have the same problem playing the video on your local machine?

No problem in my computer. Even at X2 speed it played back smoothly

Also it played very smoothly in Dash but on my Macbook Pro it was very slow (framerate seemed to be 10 frames per second or less).
A common problem playing H264 dashcam video on recent Apple products, the H265 plays fine. Seems to be an incompatibility between the compression codec and decompression codec, not sure which side is incorrect.

We've got some good news to share with you all: we just released a new version of Dash online that includes a new video player with the following capabilities :D:

Ability to switch video resolution (@Leonauto I recall you mentioning this)
Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 15.54.43.png

Ability to change video playback speed
Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 15.54.53.png

Last but not least...
Ability to zoom in the video :geek::

Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 15.55.32.png

This is our initial release with those features and we will certainly polish up some of the rough edges ;) . We are also working on more features which will soon be released.

You can check all this out without with our usual example shared video on Dash . We'd love to get your feedback on those new features.

Thanks again for your patience everyone and stay tuned for more updates!

Ed.

Oh wow! Looks sweet! (y)

Out of curiosity what was/is the most amazing thing (to you) about RegistratorViewer?
Remembering that it was developed in the early years of dashcams, and today is far from modern technology:
  • The ability to display multiple loop recording files as a single journey.
  • The ability to show the GPS and g-sensor data.
  • The ability to cut sections of the (multi-file) journey without worrying about file joins.
  • The ability to splice multiple cut sections together, although that was not the easiest of features to use.
  • Speed, although computers have got faster so that became less important, and then 4K arrived with 4x the data and 1/4 the speed, so it became more of an issue again.

We've got some good news to share with you all: we just released a new version of Dash online that includes a new video player with the following capabilities :D:
Ability to switch video resolution (@Leonauto I recall you mentioning this)
Yes, thanks, I checked!
Everything works well!!! :)
Resolution.jpg

ZOOM_Dash.jpg

Out of curiosity what was/is the most amazing thing (to you) about RegistratorViewer?
I have no doubt that Registrator Viewer would still be the leading choice had it continued, the only thing about it that is outdated is that there are newer cameras which aren't supported so it can't be used for a lot of cameras now, it did everything well, was super fast but by far the best feature was that it was so lightweight, it was a standalone application that required no installation and just ran from the executable file, the version you'll find around that still works is a development build that had some logging etc and is around 10mb, the actual compiled version was only around 1mb, the fact that it was so small and required no installation was a great thing, in our first camera we actually had the program loaded in the camera ROM so when you would put a card in it would copy the software onto the memory card which meant you could put the card in a computer and the player was there ready to go, it worked so well, great loss to the industry when Vadim passed away

I have no doubt that Registrator Viewer would still be the leading choice had it continued, the only thing about it that is outdated is that there are newer cameras which aren't supported so it can't be used for a lot of cameras now, it did everything well, was super fast but by far the best feature was that it was so lightweight, it was a standalone application that required no installation and just ran from the executable file, the version you'll find around that still works is a development build that had some logging etc and is around 10mb, the actual compiled version was only around 1mb, the fact that it was so small and required no installation was a great thing, in our first camera we actually had the program loaded in the camera ROM so when you would put a card in it would copy the software onto the memory card which meant you could put the card in a computer and the player was there ready to go, it worked so well, great loss to the industry when Vadim passed away

Truly a great loss for this community and beyond! It's tragic when someone that shows so much promise and passion is taken away before they could reach their full potential. My (belated) condolences.

Good day everyone,

Yesterday we released an update to Dash, giving you the ability to download the original video you uploaded, thus giving you even more control over your footage. At the moment this feature only works for the owner of the video but we are working on how to set up a sensible permission system whereby the owner could grant permission to third parties to download their video.

@Leonauto has already tested the feature and is happy with it ;) . I am attaching a small image (from Leonauto again - thanks) to show how the download button appears on the video page (it should be quite obvious).

Screenshot 2020-05-07 at 11.13.24.png

It would be great if you could all help test out with your different dash cam models, browsers, etc and provide feedback and suggestions on how we can keep improving Dash.

Wishing you all a great day!
Ed.

Last edited:
Hello,

We are currently trying out a few AI techniques around number plate detection etc. It will take some time before we can add those to Dash but wanted to update you all on this ongoing work stream.

One thing we believe can be done in the future is the identification of accidents/collisions in videos. In order to be able to do that we need to have quite a few videos of accidents, to "train" the software to understand these cases. @Paul Iddon @jokiin @SawMaster @Nigel @Leonauto do you have some example dash cam videos of crashes you could share or know who could provide those examples? This is a difficult but exciting problem to solve :geek: .

Have a good week-end!
Ed.

I have one but it's obvious and clear but I will see if I still have it in the computer Ed.

Nothing here. Probably could ask one of the YT car crash vid compilers or join their social media channel and ask the others in the group who make regular contributions. "John Conner" credits his regular contributors this way as do some of the European channels.

Phil

Hello,

We are currently trying out a few AI techniques around number plate detection etc. It will take some time before we can add those to Dash but wanted to update you all on this ongoing work stream.

One thing we believe can be done in the future is the identification of accidents/collisions in videos. In order to be able to do that we need to have quite a few videos of accidents, to "train" the software to understand these cases. @Paul Iddon @jokiin @SawMaster @Nigel @Leonauto do you have some example dash cam videos of crashes you could share or know who could provide those examples? This is a difficult but exciting problem to solve :geek: .

Have a good week-end!
Ed.
a lot of the videos are showing other vehicles crashing, not as many from the impacted vehicle, what type of scenario are you looking for?

Nothing here. Probably could ask one of the YT car crash vid compilers or join their social media channel and ask the others in the group who make regular contributions. "John Conner" credits his regular contributors this way as do some of the European channels.

Phil

Sounds good Phil. We will reach out to some of the Youtube car crash compilation channels. They seem to be quite popular and I wonder whether the owners of these channels get significant add revenue from Youtube thanks to high viewership?

a lot of the videos are showing other vehicles crashing, not as many from the impacted vehicle, what type of scenario are you looking for?

@jokiin I think at this stage we are happy to consider both use cases. I understand that most videos available will probably depict accidents involving other vehicles and not the dash cam owner's but maybe that's even better as it generally shows the whole scene.

Have a great Sunday everyone,
Ed.

I had cameras in my car when i was rear ended a few years back, but the rear camera did not work.
And the car crash in a intersection i captured last summer i was at a 90 degree angle to the action and also some distance due to the size of the intersection so nothing to capture there either.

we could park a car at the side of the road, and pretend one of the cars passing buy tore off the mirror ?
Cant you just use regular driving footage ? i mean its about the same just without the bending of metal, i assume the feature need to pick the frame where it stand the best chance of getting a plate capture, and that is just before the crash not during it.
So i would assume any driving footage could be useful, as long as you can actually get a plate capture off it.

I wonder whether the owners of these channels get significant add revenue from Youtube thanks to high viewership?
in round numbers you need 1 million views in the first 5 days to earn $1000, it tapers off a lot if you don't hit those sorts of numbers

@jokiin I think at this stage we are happy to consider both use cases. I understand that most videos available will probably depict accidents involving other vehicles and not the dash cam owner's but maybe that's even better as it generally shows the whole scene.
I'll ask someone I know if they can share some suitable links for you, will speak to him sometime in the next few days

Last edited:
Back