Dash - a new website to view and analyse dash cam videos

Don't want to stray too far off topic here, but YT's recent policy changes have left most or all of the 'car crash' type channels (and a lot of other topics too) stripped of most or all of the ad-related funding they used to get :( Those who are still going have had to resort to asking for viewer contributions in one form or another. The channel I spoke of has kept going as other much larger ones have gone dormant. I know he's pulling some clips from other YT channels (which I suppose is with their permission as this has been going on for years) but he does have some apparently exclusive clips too from the sources I mentioned.

I've had some small PM's with "John" in the past as well as some on-channel commentary between us and it seems that he's the kind of person who would help you in your endeavors, especially if you "helped" him with some Paypal or Patreon assistance (which is normal for his culture) but you can go that way if a "freebie" approach isn't working. Just explain your purposes and assure him you're not going to repost the vids and I think he will help out. I don't 'follow' many of he other channels where I've seen credited viewer contributions which you might be able to source but if you want I'll note them when the next round of my insomnia habit sees me off into the 'rabbit hole' of watching crash vids once again. Can't say what kind of responses you might get from those channels though.

Not knowing much about this kind of thing, but is it possible that you could use the YT vids directly as a data soucce? That would certainly provide you with all you could want and more. Might be something to consider if other preferred approaches aren't working as well as you need. Also there are some members here on DCT who do some of the crash-vid channels like @David Markham and @DublinsDashcamFootage as well as some individual posters in our Dashcam Videos Recorded By You forum who I'm sure would be glad to help with your project. Not sure there's an easy way to get what you need but these possibilities exist and I hope they help.

Phil

Last edited:
I think there is a war in among those crash channels, so the report each other and file copyright claims ASO, so they are at least not able to make money off YT.
The one i "followed" once changed name like 3 times and in the end i lost contact with it.

It is also sort of the same here with people not in tune with the general political map, or at least are on the right side of it,,,, left side dont seem to be a problem, anyway they are soon made unable to make money on YT and often they get banned all together.
And when in existence they get harassed, one channel i cant even post a few lines from a HC Andersen fairy tale, everything i and many other try to post there get deleted, and fairy tales are not violating YT rules, so it can only be personal or political oppression ( which is both illegal in Denmark )
By now i had it up to here ( pad my own head ) and just want all Google services banned & blocked from Denmark.
And i disgust myself from still using them,,,,,, but one day soon :devilish:

Last edited:
I have a few near misses today,,,, okay the oncoming van, well i did try and teach him lesson, which i can do cuz i can place my car within a inch of the curb just fine, and i know how wide it is.
But yeah it was a tight fit, hopefully the idiot learn, cuz even if he kept his place and done right he would have no problem making that Left turn.

I had cameras in my car when i was rear ended a few years back, but the rear camera did not work.
And the car crash in a intersection i captured last summer i was at a 90 degree angle to the action and also some distance due to the size of the intersection so nothing to capture there either.

we could park a car at the side of the road, and pretend one of the cars passing buy tore off the mirror ?
Cant you just use regular driving footage ? i mean its about the same just without the bending of metal, i assume the feature need to pick the frame where it stand the best chance of getting a plate capture, and that is just before the crash not during it.
So i would assume any driving footage could be useful, as long as you can actually get a plate capture off it.

Regular driving footage is good for us, please don't damage your vehicle for us :LOL: ! Thanks for sharing your video of the near miss on YT: very helpful. You can also upload it for free on Dash and share the link ;).

Don't want to stray too far off topic here, but YT's recent policy changes have left most or all of the 'car crash' type channels (and a lot of other topics too) stripped of most or all of the ad-related funding they used to get :( Those who are still going have had to resort to asking for viewer contributions in one form or another. The channel I spoke of has kept going as other much larger ones have gone dormant. I know he's pulling some clips from other YT channels (which I suppose is with their permission as this has been going on for years) but he does have some apparently exclusive clips too from the sources I mentioned.

I've had some small PM's with "John" in the past as well as some on-channel commentary between us and it seems that he's the kind of person who would help you in your endeavors, especially if you "helped" him with some Paypal or Patreon assistance (which is normal for his culture) but you can go that way if a "freebie" approach isn't working. Just explain your purposes and assure him you're not going to repost the vids and I think he will help out. I don't 'follow' many of he other channels where I've seen credited viewer contributions which you might be able to source but if you want I'll note them when the next round of my insomnia habit sees me off into the 'rabbit hole' of watching crash vids once again. Can't say what kind of responses you might get from those channels though.

Not knowing much about this kind of thing, but is it possible that you could use the YT vids directly as a data soucce? That would certainly provide you with all you could want and more. Might be something to consider if other preferred approaches aren't working as well as you need. Also there are some members here on DCT who do some of the crash-vid channels like @David Markham and @DublinsDashcamFootage as well as some individual posters in our Dashcam Videos Recorded By You forum who I'm sure would be glad to help with your project. Not sure there's an easy way to get what you need but these possibilities exist and I hope they help.

Phil

Very interesting information from you and @jokiin on YT policy changes. It's very frustrating to be a hostage of big platforms like YT and FB where they can change the rules of the game at any time...
I am happy to contribute a bit to support some of those channels as well.

Cheers,
Ed.

I have added a speeding van clip @edvision - nothing dangerous but an obvious infraction in a 30mph speed limit zone.

I've set it to public if anyone wants to try and view it? Here is the link to the non-GPS file if anyone wants to try. Here is the link to the full GPS included file.

The 30 second clip in the Dash software (from my A129 Pro Duo 4k dashcam) doesn't seem to have picked up GPS info/data which was edited to shorten it. However, the unedited 2 minute file DOES retain my GPS data.

Paul.

Happy Monday everyone!

@Paul Iddon Legend!! Thanks so much for sharing the videos: it's super useful and I love how clear you've made the description :).

Btw I wanted to inform everyone that we have just released a new feature called:
Video Tagging

You can now add up to 5 tags to describe your videos. The goal is for you to better organise them and possibly retrieve them using tags.

The screenshot below shows how you can easily add tags to your videos. Try it out and let us know what you think ;)
Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 16.40.45.png

More Goodness to come...

AI Experiments

We are still early in this area but have started testing out a few object detection and recognition techniques to identify vehicles, pedestrians, etc in videos. See example video bellow:

Tagging Version 2

We are also working on giving you the ability to tag a specific time or time range within your videos. Stay tuned for this bit...

We are very excited about the future of Dash. Hope you are too :). In the meantime don't hesitate to provide feedback as usual.

Cheers,
Ed.

Btw does anyone have/use a Vantrue dash cam? We'd like to test compatibility of Dash against videos from dash cams from this brand.

I've set it to public if anyone wants to try and view it? Here is the link to the non-GPS file if anyone wants to try. Here is the link to the full GPS included file.
That's a cool app, will try it out. I've got a nextbase 312 GW so curious to see if it works

Hello everyone!

It's been a while :D. We've been (and continue to be) super busy with Dash, but I wanted to share some recent updates on the product. We've recently released a bunch of new features and improvements so here they come:

Sound

It may sound like a small thing but believe it or not we did transcode the videos with sound. It was on our to-do list but it's only in the last few days that I've managed to find some time to sit down and right this wrong. Every new video uploaded to Dash will now retain its sound . You can see it for yourselves by clicking on this example video link.

Tour

We now give an interactive tour of the application to give new users a better understanding of what they can do in Dash. It will also appear for any previously registered user who has not gone through the tour yet.
The screenshot below shows what the tour looks like:

dash_tour_smaller.png

Video Bookmarks

You can now create named bookmarks with up to 5 tags for particular moments in time for your videos. This way you can highlight and pinpoint important information within your video timeline. We show the associated thumbnail for each of your bookmarks and also display them on speed graph and map for you to contextually and situationally visualise this information as well. When you click on a bookmark (either on map, speed graph, or bookmark panel) the video goes to the specific location of the bookmark. You can see some of it in action through the gif below (and also the video link I shared above as well).

dash_bookmarks.gif

What's next for Dash?

We are exploring some light video editing capabilities like clipping of videos (while retaining GPS and speed information), multi-channel video visualisation, and other goodies. Next month we are planning to introduce pricing plans too - there will be a generous free tier with most many features available in there. It would be great to understand from your perspective what users would be willing to pay for (and how much). We want to keep showing appreciation to this community: for those of you who registered and have been helping us along the way: if you are still on the free tier after we introduce our paying plans, we will look at "bumping" your accounts so that you benefit from some extra features. We could also provide a discount on price - just for you ;).

Stay tuned for more updates!
Ed.

Liking that bookmark idea Ed... ;)

All looking good (dark mode?)

Paul.

Hello fellow riders :)

We've just released an exciting new feature so I wanted to share it with you first before the rest of the world finds out about it ;)

New Feature - Video Trimming

You can now trim videos in Dash! Some quick instructions on how to use the feature:
  • Simply navigate to the page of the video you would like to trim
  • Click on the the scissors icon
  • This opens up a trimming editor where you can move either end of the video to select the interval you want to trim
  • You also have the ability to remove sound from the resulting trimmed video via the toggle
  • Once you are happy with the interval and sound settings, just click on the "Trim" button and let Dash do its magic!
  • Once trimming is done you can either navigate to the new trimmed video on stay on the current page to do more trimming

Extras with Video Trimming:
  • If speed data was present in the original video, trimmed videos retain the speed data that spans the trimmed interval
  • If GPS data was present in the original video, trimmed videos retain the GPS data that spans the trimmed interval
  • If bookmarks are present in the original video, trimmed videos retain bookmarks that span the trimmed interval
A picture/gif is worth a thousand words so here it is:

dash_trimming_short.gif

For those who prefer videos, here's the Youtube showcasing the feature:

As usual, feedback is welcome and encouraged. If some of you have forgotten our URL, just go to https://app.getdash.ai and start or continue your journey with us :).

Cheers,
Ed.

New Feature - Video Trimming
I checked the video trimming . Everything turns out well. (y)
The trimming video is saved to a new file.

When you press the TRIM (scissors) button,
Trim video_1aa.jpg

new buttons appear on the timeline along the edges.
Trim video_7e.jpg

Just move the cursor to the left edge, press the left button on the mouse and move to the place where the new file will start.
Trim video_7c.jpg
Then do the same on the right - trim the end of the file.
Trim video_6a.jpg

Pressing the TRIM button will create a new file of your size.
Trim video_bb.jpg

Trimming video example

Last edited:
Hello :) ,

We've added a small goodie to Dash again!

Social Media Sharing

You can now share your favourite videos to Facebook or Twitter straight from Dash! The screenshot below illustrates how to do this:
Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 12.27.43.png

Let me know if there is another social media network it makes sense to add a share button for.

Soon we will also enable you to allow other logged in users to download videos that you shared, as long as you enable the Can download toggle in the video sharing options from the screenshot above. Stay tuned ;).

Happy sharing on Dash!:D

Ed.

I haven't read this entire thread, but the idea sounds interesting. I don't know if this has already been suggested, but you might include an "enhancement feature / service". There have been a few occasions on this site where people have posted Dash Cam Videos of an accident, and struggled to identify the license plate or vehicle.

Not sure if this is a useful suggestion or not but figured I'd throw it out there.

I haven't read this entire thread, but the idea sounds interesting. I don't know if this has already been suggested, but you might include an "enhancement feature / service". There have been a few occasions on this site where people have posted Dash Cam Videos of an accident, and struggled to identify the license plate or vehicle.

Not sure if this is a useful suggestion or not but figured I'd throw it out there.

Thanks for your feedback @HonestReview . We already offer a "Zoom" feature on Dash in the player (check out this test video ). On the player click on the tools icon and you will have the ability to change playback speed or zoom in on the video.

Regarding other enhancement, we are working on some artificial intelligence features like number plate recognition (ANPR/ALPR is the term). We're still unsure that level of sophistication is required for most Dash users. We are also evaluating number plate blurring to preserve the privacy of other drivers. See example gif below:

dash_anpr_number_plate_blurring.gif

It would be awesome if you could try Dash and provide more feedback. It's completely free and comes with lots of features out of the box.

All the best,
Ed.

Back