Dash Cam 45

raqball

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue 750X Plus
Picked up the Garmin Dash Cam 45 the other day along with the parking mode cable..

Got everything wired up and installed in my Audi A3 and updated the Dash Cam 45's firmware.

I have numerous other Garmin products (cycling) so when I was researching dash cams I also looked at Garmin. After watching a ton of videos on the Garmin's, Blackvue, Blacksys and VioFo I decided on the Garmin. I do not need voice commands and 1080p @ 30FPS is fine by me.

Overall happy with the setup after a few days use. I wonder how big of a drain on the battery the parking mode will be though. I'd hate to come out to a dead battery. I suppose I can leave it off when at home and only turn it on when out and about. That might be a bit of a pain though as I'd constantly have to go into the settings to adjust the setting.

A few questions.

1. How big of a drain will parking mode put on the battery?
2. I can't connect the camera to the Virb app unless I go into the Gallery option of the Dash Cam menu. I figured I'd have to do this once but does this need to be done every time I want to connect?

Thanks!

Picked up the Garmin Dash Cam 45 the other day along with the parking mode cable..

Got everything wired up and installed in my Audi A3 and updated the Dash Cam 45's firmware.

I have numerous other Garmin products (cycling) so when I was researching dash cams I also looked at Garmin. After watching a ton of videos on the Garmin's, Blackvue, Blacksys and VioFo I decided on the Garmin. I do not need voice commands and 1080p @ 30FPS is fine by me.

Overall happy with the setup after a few days use. I wonder how big of a drain on the battery the parking mode will be though. I'd hate to come out to a dead battery. I suppose I can leave it off when at home and only turn it on when out and about. That might be a bit of a pain though as I'd constantly have to go into the settings to adjust the setting.

A few questions.

1. How big of a drain will parking mode put on the battery?
2. I can't connect the camera to the Virb app unless I go into the Gallery option of the Dash Cam menu. I figured I'd have to do this once but does this need to be done every time I want to connect?

Thanks!
1. Garmin's parking mode accessory has a built in battery discharge prevention so I wouldn't worry if your battery is in good shape.

2. Yes, that is the only way.

Awesome sauce and thanks! # 1 is great news! I don't really mind # 2 but it is a pain.

So far I am diggin the camera and think I made the right choice.

Here are a few photos of my setup and how I have it installed.

IMG_20171222_150337.jpg

00000_IMG_00000_BURST20171229164302467_COVER.jpg

00100d_PORTRAIT_00100_BURST20171229164337565_COVER.jpg

00100d_PORTRAIT_00100_BURST20171229164356587_COVER.jpg

00100d_PORTRAIT_00100_BURST20171229164506621_COVER.jpg

I installed the 55 model the other day, same as you on my Audi TT.

I also used the parking mode cable, but I did modified the cut-off voltage from 11,7v to 12,3v just to be sure it won't hurt the battery.

You can do this by opening the plastic square on the cable and switch a jumper from a pin to another ;)

IMG_6162.JPG

I was going to do the same but then I remembered I just got new 1000A battery so I didn't bother.

I read somewhere the default setting is 11.7V.. Why would Garmin default it at 11.7? That's pretty much a dead battery..

Wish I would have known this before I installed.. Time to tear it apart and set it to 12.3V as that's a safe setting..

Thanks for sharing the image @Tomsuits

I read somewhere the default setting is 11.7V.. Why would Garmin default it at 11.7? That's pretty much a dead battery..

Wish I would have known this before I installed.. Time to tear it apart and set it to 12.3V as that's a safe setting..

Thanks for sharing the image @Tomsuits

I predict you will end up with zero parking mode videos because the Garmin will shut off when the battery is totally fine!

My voltmeter built into my 12V splitter always reads 12.2-12.3v when the car is turned off. It's a VW Golf Alltrack. On my previous car, a Ford C-Max with a small 12v battery, it would read 11.4v after the car was off just a few minutes

It has always been my understanding that 11.7V is pretty much a dead battery. No? I am no battery guru so thoughts are welcomed. Should I leave it at 11.7? Cars these days are loaded to the hilt with electronics and I'd hate for the battery to die due to a dash cam.

Last edited:
That may be the case but the volt meters are inaccurate

I don't think you have to worry at all because the Garmin will draw 1amp max. That's the power rating of the 12v plug. In reality I'm sure it draws much less than that especially with the screen off. So it would take a long time to run down your battery, so IMO the risk is not worth worrying about. Instead I worry about premature shut down due to a cutoff set too high

Update to my camera... It started boot looping yesterday so I called Garmin and they advised it was faulty and to return to Best Buy since I was within the return period. I planned on exchanging it but they didn't have another in stock. My options were to return for a refund or go home, call Garmin again and have them replace it under the warranty.

I returned it for a refund and looked at a Thinkware F800 that Best Buy had in stock. $300 is a lot of cash for a dash cam so I am thinking it over.

Off related question to those who might know. I had the Garmin hard wired and I'd like to use the same cable BUT it's micro USB an most dash cams use DC in for power. I wonder if this adapter would work. It's a micro USB to DC adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01AE1P4H8

Update to my camera... It started boot looping yesterday so I called Garmin and they advised it was faulty and to return to Best Buy since I was within the return period. I planned on exchanging it but they didn't have another in stock. My options were to return for a refund or go home, call Garmin again and have them replace it under the warranty.

I returned it for a refund and looked at a Thinkware F800 that Best Buy had in stock. $300 is a lot of cash for a dash cam so I am thinking it over.

Off related question to those who might know. I had the Garmin hard wired and I'd like to use the same cable BUT it's micro USB an most dash cams use DC in for power. I wonder if this adapter would work. It's a micro USB to DC adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01AE1P4H8

Isn't the Thinkware 12v? USB is only 5v

Garmin will replace your camera quickly and can ship you a replacement before you ship the defective one back. It took about 3 days for them to replace my 45 when it stopped reading SD cards. They sent a refurb

How did you run that cable and where is it connected? I have the same mirror in my Golf

Not sure on the Thinkware.. The Garmin parking cable is hardwired to battery 12V and to my cars ACC...

My cable is ran though the mirror housing (as shown) across the headliner to driver side then down the a-pilar to the fuse box.

Yes the Thinkware is 12v so that cable won't work. I'd just buy another Garmin

BTW when I got in my car this morning it definitely read 12.2v. So if you set your cutoff to 12.2v I bet it will just never be running

I am considering another Garmin... I mean their customer service is top notch!

I am now debating the 55 but have to do a bit more research into it 1st. Not sure if 1440p @ 30 would be a large benefit over 1080p @ 60 or even 1080p @ 30...

I am considering another Garmin... I mean their customer service is top notch!

I am now debating the 55 but have to do a bit more research into it 1st. Not sure if 1440p @ 30 would be a large benefit over 1080p @ 60 or even 1080p @ 30...

Iacibaci seems to like the 1440p. Even at lower res the quality should be improved because it's binning multiple pixels. It also has an HDR mode so you could mount it inside the vehicle and the windows won't overexpose

Back