dash cam around$200-300

sahilpatel12

Reaction score
Country
United States
hello i wanted to get my first official real deal dash cam since i have been using my spare iphone 6 plus as dash cam but again i don't want to leave it out in car hanging out in open view, so i went to local bestbuy. They only had one kind of dash cam with built in gps navi . i just bought it today and returned that thing in less than 4 hrs after testing and it was pretty much crap for what i paid :$169ish plus tax http://www.bestbuy.com/site/magella...ates/5275129.p?id=1219117626224&skuId=5275129

So my wanted list is 1080p with /night vison perfered.
32gb support least.
size dont really matter or color.
dual channel camera would be plus (front and rear).

i was looking at Garmin dash 20 cam as a choice but wanted to get someones .2 cents in also since experiences help.

hello i wanted to get my first official real deal dash cam since i have been using my spare iphone 6 plus as dash cam but again i don't want to leave it out in car hanging out in open view, so i went to local bestbuy. They only had one kind of dash cam with built in gps navi . i just bought it today and returned that thing in less than 4 hrs after testing and it was pretty much crap for what i paid :$169ish plus tax http://www.bestbuy.com/site/magella...ates/5275129.p?id=1219117626224&skuId=5275129

So my wanted list is 1080p with /night vison perfered.
32gb support least.
size dont really matter or color.
dual channel camera would be plus (front and rear).

i was looking at Garmin dash 20 cam as a choice but wanted to get someones .2 cents in also since experiences help.
get SGZC12RC/panorama X1 or SG9665GC you won't regret it, if in USA @Pier28 or Europe @niko

@Pier28 im triming list down right now its two cameras to choose from panorma s or g (dont like that speed stamp tho) and SG9665GC . any major difference between those twos? sg and panorma series

If you don't need GPS, the S is perfect. Same IMX322 Sensor and wide angle lens. SG9665GC is top quality as well and will cover the optional GPS needs.

Possibly the Blackvue DR650GW-2CH? A little over $300 from some sellers on eBay; I think on DCT under South Korea vendor, they're selling for $295 + $25 shipping

Check out the Blackvue they're pretty decent. They also have an device called power magic pro which you can power on 24/7.

Check out the Blackvue they're pretty decent. They also have an device called power magic pro which you can power on 24/7.

I'm not a fan of Blackvue or we would be selling their products by now. It's better if you use the custom Russian firmware, but we don't want to sell DIY home brew enhanced products at this time.
I'll just leave this here since I feel the same way.
While I don't mind trying a custom firmware on one of my Minis having to use one to make something I bought for a lot of money be on par with other cameras that cost as much or are cheaper is ridiculous.

well my dad said he wanted garmin dash cam 20 since its name brand so what the heck i got him that and now im still looking, but i have a question if anyone can maybe help me with that.

since he doesnt have anymore 12v lighter ports open , both of them are full except the one which he use to charge his phone but he use a dual usb charging one so i was wondering maybe.... can i use https://www.amazon.com/gp/B002KL8N6A that to power it and since it 15feet its plenty of room for the wire to run in whole car lol. but main question is this.@!! his thing gives out 20watts 4.2 amps as total output but it trims down to half of it for each port so everyone port only gives 10watts and 2.1 amps. i read that garmin dash 20 uses 5v as power supply, so question is this can i use that usb charger to power his garmin?

I've had a few previous Garmin owners return it and buy a Street Guardian in the last few months. (Just say'n).

Last edited:
I'm enjoying success with our GT680w bought through foxoffer for the last year. I have a second in the box waiting for warm weather to install in the truck. This model is being superceded and is available for near half of your budget. Shadow tec has a newer unit with OBD II that I wouldn't hesitate to buy. Many here have the 080#'s.

I looked at the specs from more familiar names, but IMHO they're rushing to market and haven't got their act together yet.

With respect to 32gb, most list that as max due to "standard" configuration, but thanks to folks here, I found third party software that formated my 64gb to fat32 and the extra headroom is definately worth the cost. As the prices drop, I suggest 128gb.

I also suggest hardwire with an add-a-fuse and loose 12v socket burried with the fusebox and wires shoved behind finishes for a set and forget install.

Last edited:
I've had a few previous Garmin owners return it and buy a Street Guardian in the last few months. (Just say'n).
yeah i can see why lol but hes fine with the problem. thing i ran into was it would get hot but not untouchable and lens were not wide enough,even if you mount it directly behind readview. you cant see edge of your cars since it not wide enough and it would only cover front and not alot of sides corner.

so thats no no for me on garmin.

are panoramas and other getting hot or something? also when charging

im thinking about s or g . how much will they cost if i via direct rather than amazon?

Amazon G is free shipping, direct I lowered the price a bit to even it out. PM me if you want a bundle deal

i thought about getting blackvue series but considering low bitrate and also using 3m tape mount.. i have tint windows lol so im still handicapped on how to mount it on rear window

While that has some interesting features it's still only 720p unfortunately which doesn't get a lot of interest around here

Back