Dash cam breaking SD cards?

Jc0187

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all. I've had my BlueSkySea dash cam for a little over a year. In this time, this dash cam has eaten several high end micro SD cards. It's becoming an expensive hobby buying new micro SD cards every few months. The micro SD cards I have been using are the SanDisk High Endurance 64 GB.

Since buying this Dash cam, I have gone through 3 or 4 SD cards. That's around 1 micro SD card every 2 to 3 months. Does this seem excessive?

Hello all. I've had my BlueSkySea dash cam for a little over a year. In this time, this dash cam has eaten several high end micro SD cards. It's becoming an expensive hobby buying new micro SD cards every few months. The micro SD cards I have been using are the SanDisk High Endurance 64 GB.

Since buying this Dash cam, I have gone through 3 or 4 SD cards. That's around 1 micro SD card every 2 to 3 months. Does this seem excessive?

You may need to do a low level write every 2-3 months to keep the card "working". As constant writes and rewrites can result in errors developing. Also, certain brands work better in cameras than others. I would try https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/ and do a low level / overwrite format to see if the card is working again upon completion.

Extremely so; I have had the same SD card 1 year and continues to work perfectly, though on a different dashcam. Hope this helps!

You may need to do a low level write every 2-3 months to keep the card "working". As constant writes and rewrites can result in errors developing. Also, certain brands work better in cameras than others. I would try https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/ and do a low level / overwrite format to see if the card is working again upon completion.
Hey thanks for the reply. I formatted the card earlier today. Everything was working fine for about 30 minutes and then my cam kept saying "SD card slow speed" again. This is exactly what happens each and every time before I need to replace the SD card.

Extremely so; I have had the same SD card 1 year and continues to work perfectly, though on a different dashcam. Hope this helps!
I think I'm just going to scrap my dash cam and buy another one.

Hey thanks for the reply. I formatted the card earlier today. Everything was working fine for about 30 minutes and then my cam kept saying "SD card slow speed" again. This is exactly what happens each and every time before I need to replace the SD card.

Did you use the program I linked and format using overwrite format? A quick format will not resolve the issue. You need to do a low level format like I suggested. If you did, and the car is malfunctioning, then yes it is likely bad or the camera has an issue.

There's been many changes with the B1W since I used mine, and it has become rather finicky about which cards it 'likes'. So I can't dorectly recommend one, but that info should be available in the more recent posts on the B1W subforum HERE

Many years with various dashcams has shown me clearly that there is no one card good for every cam and that card specs don't often mean a card will work with any given cam. The best way to approach card selection has always been and remains being to see what others are currently experiencing with your exact cam and cards, then use one which has been found to work well for most folks. Best to use whichever one nobody is having problems with if such a card is being spoken of. Then you use that exact same card, nothing similar or meeting it's specs or in a size which hasn't been tested and proven good by several people.

Even this won't guarantee success but it is by far the best chance you've got to finding the right card. If the top choice of others fails in your cam then try the next best one; that's usually as far along as you need to go. Everyone has favorite brands and favorite cards but with dashcams the only thing which means anything is which card works as it should for you and your cam- everything else is meaningless.

Phil

Back