Dash Cam Comparison page

Zelig

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi @DashCamMan, now that "The Rest" on the Dash Cam Comparison page is getting quite large, would it be possible to include a column with the approximate release date of the camera ?

Doesn't need to be exact - maybe just month and year or if month is not known, at least the year of release ?

Also, is it possible to put thin vertical lines between the columns ?

Sometimes, when reading the "Video Quality", I end up reading the "Reliability" score, so I might end up seeing "Day: Very Poor" when it really should be "Video Quality - Day: Very Good" & "Reliability - Poor".

eg Blackvue DR400G-HD II
Day: Very Poor
Good
Night:
Good

Others often read as "Day: Very Average"

Poor old Blackvue DR400G-HD ends up reading as "Day: Very Very Poor".

If vertical separating lines are not possible, perhaps make the Video Quality column wider.

Thanks

Others often read as "Day: Very Average"
Poor old Blackvue DR400G-HD ends up reading as "Day: Very Very Poor".
I was a little sad i could not get mine to say Day: Very Very Poor
I was maybe thinking that maybe since things are getting a little long that
The Best....
New 2014.....
The Rest
Should maybe each be their own page.
I might even make a new page that says Stay Away From and add the really bad devices.

I added the vertical lines...thanks for the suggestion! It looks better now.

I will consider the date released. The problem is adding columns makes the table more cluttered. I initially had more columns and I cut it down to what we have now.

The Dash Cam Comparison page is actually the most popular page on the entire site. It is getting long but I am torn on whether to separate it to many pages. There are pros and cons. I like that someone can scroll down 1-page and see every camera that we have written about. Kind of like a Table of Contents for Dash Cams.

On the other hand maybe the comparison should be "The Best" and "New 2014" to keep it manageable. Then put "The Rest" are on another page. Might make for easier navigation.

I will need to think about that. A "Stay Away From" could be possible, but there are many people who are satisfied with cameras that we would consider "trash". Think the $20 SD dash cams.

I added the vertical lines...thanks for the suggestion! It looks better now.

I will consider the date released. The problem is adding columns makes the table more cluttered. I initially had more columns and I cut it down to what we have now.

Maybe the Release Date could appear in the first column under the Camera Name.

eg

Mini 0801
(Sep 2013)

I will need to think about that. A "Stay Away From" could be possible, but there are many people who are satisfied with cameras that we would consider "trash". Think the $20 SD dash cams.
Yea that is what I was thinking the 20 dollar SD maybe change the name was just popped into my head.

You might include your rating definitions or hierarchy. Is good better than average?

To me this looks like a better dash cam grouping system.

It would still be the same one page format now in use.

The Best “Bang for your Buck” Dash Cams

New 2015 Dashboard Cameras (2014 is almost over)

2014 dashboard cameras without enough reviews to properly rate them

The top performing dash cams (best performance and quality including reliability)

The average dash cams (not great, not bad either)

The least desirable dash cams (features and parts/video quality)

The most problematic dash cams (based on reliability)

Multi-channel Dashboard Cameras (when appropriate add the sections below)

2 channel

3 channel

4 or more channels

Instead of a "stay away from" group how about trying a rating system as shown above?

As long as the ratings are based on honest reviews this looks like it would be a legitimate system to me.

Last edited:
That seems like a comprehensive breakdown put it is difficult to group them into those buckets. I will think about it but the reality is there may not be enough data points to classify them like that. Also different people want different features so one person's least desirable dash cam is another persons favorite (i.e. smaller / discrete cameras may have less features than some of the larger Korean touch screen cameras).

Thanks for the input...I will be updating those charts soon.

I was reading the page and perhaps it is just me...in comment section, several review is steering readers to buy a particular brand unit...

I was reading the page and perhaps it is just me...in comment section, several review is steering readers to buy a particular brand unit...

I think you are referring to the Mobius. When a similar style camera to the Mobius is released, it will be compared to the Mobius. If it does not provide a better value than the Mobius, it will be stated in the comments section.

Curious to know if you believe there are any inaccuracies in the comment section?

The comparison table is fair good and accurate. a great tool
I would let readers decide..it is like all opinions including mine...

The comparison table is fair good and accurate. a great tool
I would let readers decide..it is like all opinions including mine...
I wouldn't describe it as accurate, in fact I find it a bit confusing.

For example the mini 0801 is the most expensive mini while the 0805 is the cheapest, in reality it is the other way around, if the prices aren't updated then maybe the column should be "price at release date". The 0801 also says "Firmware has not been reliable" which while true, it appears that the firmware has been reliable for maybe the last year, it's certainly not a reason to avoid it these days. The 0801 video quality is described as "very good" and maybe that is still true for the price but doesn't help decide between an 0801 or an 0805 which is also described as "very good", or an 0806 for that matter: 0806 | 0801 comparison

I guess that is what most people using it want, if it doesn't tell them which to ignore and which to have a close look at then it isn't doing it's job! Maybe it is the way it does it that is the issue, I do get the feeling that it does push you towards a single model instead of a small choice of models, it shouldn't be making the final decision on which people should buy because everyone has slightly different requirements.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find the dashcam comparison either needs updating or there needs to be some additional comparisons eg. Lukas dashcams.

Back