Dash Cam for a Firetruck

Crumbo85

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I've been tasked with buying 2 dashcams for our volunteer rural fire fighting trucks. Our budget is around the $200 mark (each - $AUD). The main want/need out of the cameras is to capture number plates on cars. GPS tracking would be nice but not essential. Also, motion detection to start recording would be nice but again, not essential. Being in fire zones, something that will handle hot condtions would be worthwhile too :) Welcome any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Hi Dash, that would be fantastic :) When we respond to a fire out in the middle of no-where, we try (whenever possible) to scribble down any car number plates that drive past us, just in case the fire is suspicious. It's also handy to hand footage into the relevant authorities for cars that don't get out of the way of a fire truck with blazing lights and sirens blaring (very rarely happens I'm glad to say!).

I mentioned the ability of motion activated just so that it starts recording as soon as we are in the truck and also so that it might capture some of our responses to fires so we could potentially use the footage as training material.

Hi @Crumbo85
@Chris Hunt is a fantastic seller of our cameras and others - I'm sure he can find you something that suits your needs.

Cheers,

A capacitor based cam would be best. I was hinting that some of the Australian vendors would chime in. (and they are starting to)
Most decent cams may get enough of the number plates in daytime, you may be out of luck at night, though, but you'll probably see enough of cars that pass to help a little.

I've been tasked with buying 2 dashcams for our volunteer rural fire fighting trucks. Our budget is around the $200 mark (each - $AUD). The main want/need out of the cameras is to capture number plates on cars. GPS tracking would be nice but not essential. Also, motion detection to start recording would be nice but again, not essential. Being in fire zones, something that will handle hot condtions would be worthwhile too :) Welcome any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Hi Crumbo85,

Welcome to the forum...Send me a PM, (private message)... or e-mail to info@ozdashcams.com.au ... we are more than happy to offer some assistance to our emergency services...we can give you a call or will reply via message ...e-mail...

If plates are your biggest woe I'd even consider hooking something up to the rear to get the back plate as they pass by. A real arson would know you'd be looking for plates and might remove the front plate or happen through some mud.

Thanks for all the assistance and suggestions. Going to take some ideas to the guys at the station and see what they think (and how much money I'm allowed to spend!)

Back