Dash cam for convertible

• Thread starter Deleted member 56879
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 56879

Hi I’m sure this has been asked many times. I have an 05 Mustang GT convertible and would like to do a front / rear dash cam.

The back seat is fairly thin between the two rear head rest, so any mount is sure to come flying off when I get up to speed...

I also realize the quality of the rear cam would be dismal of placed on the windshield facing backwards.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll need to drive with hypervelocity to tear off a single piece of red 3m tape :)

I’m not taking about the glass, I saw an installer mount a telescopic bracket on the rear seat for the camera. The car was a M4 with retractable roof.

Maybe some rearview mirror dashcam.

I used to use a cam with and interior cam. Sure it's not as good as having a rear cam, but it good enough for me.

For general protection in case of a event the front camera will be just fine in 99% of cases, cuz what it do is document what you do, and if you do nothing wrong, then whatever have transpired cant be your fault.
But if you like to finger bad drivers on youtube, then you cant have too many cameras.
And don't get me wrong a rear camera are nice, i wouldn't have it any other way myself, but its not a absolute must.

Resurrecting an old thread. I have a thinkware f800 pro and I'm racking my brain on how to use the rear camera.

As you can see the headrests are molded so they don't raise or lower. Anything too close to the seat will not have visibility over the folded roof or rear deck spoiler, nor the smaller rear window when the roof is up.

IMG_5531.JPG

From the back there is little hooks on the back of the headrest. I was thinking of getting the GoPro jaws with the small arm and finding a way to fasten that, but it appears to be a bit over the top, and there is no real clear way to mount the little camera on the goose arm.

Another option, since no one will ever sit in the back set is if there is a way to latch something onto one of the head rest arms.

IMG_5530 (2).JPG

I played with it getting mounted it to the center stack above on the place where the map lights are, but just not a lot of room, and the view of the camera seems distant. And Ford has that weird ribbed surface, so no telling of the tape will stick.

IMG_5532.JPG

If there are any geeky engineers out there, I'm all ears.

Resurrecting an old thread. I have a thinkware f800 pro and I'm racking my brain on how to use the rear camera.

As you can see the headrests are molded so they don't raise or lower. Anything too close to the seat will not have visibility over the folded roof or rear deck spoiler, nor the smaller rear window when the roof is up.

View attachment 49670

From the back there is little hooks on the back of the headrest. I was thinking of getting the GoPro jaws with the small arm and finding a way to fasten that, but it appears to be a bit over the top, and there is no real clear way to mount the little camera on the goose arm.

Another option, since no one will ever sit in the back set is if there is a way to latch something onto one of the head rest arms.

View attachment 49671

I played with it getting mounted it to the center stack above on the place where the map lights are, but just not a lot of room, and the view of the camera seems distant. And Ford has that weird ribbed surface, so no telling of the tape will stick.

View attachment 49672

If there are any geeky engineers out there, I'm all ears.
Is this some sort of "hook / hanger"?
IMG_20191123_081905.jpg

Some quick DIY mounts ideas.

IMG_20191123_082751.jpg
IMG_20191123_083152.jpg

IMG_20191123_083506.jpg

Niko, love your ideas and thank you for doing the mock-ups!

Do you have any ideas on materials, where to get them?

It's either metal (aluminium?), plastic, or fiberglass. In any case it is quite specific job and the outcome depends on the master. If you want a high-class setup then you might quote the garages who is dealing with custom built fiberglass speakers / cars interiors.

Many convertibles have roll hoops fitted there, there may be some available for that vehicle, or you could use some designed for another. They should give a solid vibration free mount that will look like it should be there.

If you are making something just for the camera then aluminum tube would be sensible for the main part of the mount, plastic is likely to have too much vibration. The sort of size used for TV aerial masts.

I'm big on repurposing things. My approach is to visualize what I want, then spend some time watching the world around me until I see something of that shape (or which can be easily made into that shape) of a suitable material. It usually works given enough time!

Phil

Doing some research and I found this: https://mounts.factoryoutletstore.c...e.html?category_id=78716&catalogitemid=488752

I think the unit can either attach to those little coat-hooks behind the back-seat head rests, or I think just connecting it to the arm of the front seat passenger head rest will do the trick.

I can't remember who, but someone tried a front seat headrest mount and found that vibrations spoiled the video. I'd go something more solid if I could. At least test the location first- some blue painter's tape or rubber bands holding the cam and a short drive on a rough road will give you some idea of what to expect before spending your money on something which might not work as well as you want ;)

Phil

Just set up the RAM mount. So far so good... could use just a little more height so I emails Ram Mount.

a8adc4f676f2e1256bd40924712d8409.jpg

View... we’ll see how it looks on the road tomorrow.

30f95871a5fb27fac0b0c41004eb8e88.jpg

Could always add a block of whatever between the cam and mount to raise it. Doesn't look like it needs much. This looks like a good set-up; hope it works well for you :)

Phil

Could always add a block of whatever between the cam and mount to raise it. Doesn't look like it needs much. This looks like a good set-up; hope it works well for you :)

Phil

Hey Phil, thanks. We have one more part coming in from RAM Mounts to extend it up by or swivel it by 4”. Once that adjustment is made it will be golden.

Footage looks good, no vibration and I ran the cables neatly along the sill and under the seat to the center console.

Back