Dash Cam For Daily Driving and Motor Sports (updated)

Revy

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi everyone, I was hoping that I could receive some advice from this forum as I will be using my dash cam for motor sports too.

Features I need
  • I will be using the dash cam to record track days, therefore I want the video quality to be excellent as I will be uploading the videos to youtube.
  • I will also be using the dash cam for regular driving as well, therefore night quality is important to me too (I drive quite a bit at night).
  • Maybe gps
  • Good sound recording quality for engine sound
  • Parking mode, and are there any battery discharge prevention units you would recommend? Sometimes my car sits for a week or more.
  • Panorama G is almost perfect, but I don't like how over saturated the colours look. Lukas 7900 seems to have some reliability issues and the night recording isn't rated very highly. Vicovation cameras are out of my price range, and seem expensive considering they lack parking mode and built in gps. Based on this, I almost want to get something cheaper with more accurate colours.

I’ll set the maximum budget at 200 including an SD card, unless if there is a really good solution that’s a bit more expensive. I'd prefer to spend less though.

Thanks for reading!
Revy

Last edited:
i use my F70 for recording autocross events and it's fine for that: www.youtube.com/gibson99dotcom - not HD but good enough for me, especially at that price point. since my F70 came with both a flat plastic pad mount and a suction cup mount, it's easy to move it between my Camry and whatever car i may be racing, whether it's my own miata or friends' cars (you'll see what i mean when you get to my youtube page).

depending on how long your drive to/from events is, you may want to consider getting a second SD card just for the track days, so you don't accidentally lose track footage on your way home. sd cards are cheap, but unfortunately very easy to lose, so keep that in mind.

personally i review each run immediately after i get back to grid, so having a decent sized screen on the cam itself is important to me, as are easy to use controls. some cameras are a real pain to get into playback mode. but then if you have one that does wifi, that may be moot since you can just watch on your phone or tablet. i may spring for a wifi one if/when this F70 dies.

Thanks for the reply! Nice videos, but I actually just ordered the Panorama 2s earlier today after watching the videos on their sub-forum with the upgraded firmware. Upgrading it to 15mbps seems to remove a lot of the colour saturation in the videos.
Great idea to bring two SD cards though, would be a pain to accidentally overwrite my track footage. Hopefully the screen will be adequate for playback otherwise I'll have to bring my laptop along.

Back