Dash Cam for Property Surveillance ??

Nick B

Reaction score
I'm in the business of acquiring problem properties in rough neighborhoods. It was suggested that I might utilize a dash cam to do some surveillance on a property that I'm considering buying. Instead of sitting outside in my car every night for a whole week seeing how many people are coming and going from each apartment, and what kind of criminal activities are going on, I could duct-tape a dash cam to, say, a roof-gutter or a tree and point it at the courtyard. Later i could retrieve it and and review the footage from the safety of my home.

The device would be small ans entirely self contained. I would retrieve it a few days later and download the SD card(s). It would be battery powered and would last a few days. And it would have night vision.

Can somebody suggest a good model or device? I'm not techie enough to find the right device on my own.

Nick

dashcam won't do it, maybe one of those hunting camouflage cameras would be suitable, don't know enough about those to say for sure but might be worth a look

4ch standalone car dvr like the latest XDVR004 ( 64Gb SSD / external HDD, wifi / 3g option ) + 4 x low lux cameras ( 0.01 lux ) will do the job at night. Just need a good external battery pack.

niko said:
4ch standalone car dvr like the latest XDVR004 ( 64Gb SSD / external HDD, wifi / 3g option ) + 4 x low lux cameras ( 0.01 lux ) will do the job at night. Just need a good external battery pack.

hiding that away might be a challenge, I got the impression he wanted to be discreet

jokiin said:
niko said:

hiding that away might be a challenge, I got the impression he wanted to be discreet

I think this one is very discreet and with very good specs.

1/3 SONY CCD Effio-E DSP 700TVL 9-22mm Lens CCTV Security PCB Board Color Camera 0.001 Lux

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shi ... 43119.html

Image Sensor: 1/3 inch Sony CCD
Horizontal Resolution: 700TV Lines
Min. Illumination: 0.01Lux , F1.2
Size: 3.8 x 3.8 x 0.2 cm

Last edited by a moderator:
niko said:
jokiin said:
niko said:

I think this one is very discreet and with very good specs.

1/3 SONY CCD Effio-E DSP 700TVL 9-22mm Lens CCTV Security PCB Board Color Camera 0.001 Lux

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shi ... 43119.html

depends where he could hide the rest of it away I guess

Sensor board size is only 3.8cm. Lens with housing are about 15mm in diameter, - only this 15mm area will be visible.
I have this DIY project idea for few years to use something like xdvr004 + similar cameras mentioned above.
Front camera can be DIY built into rearview mirror.
Rear camera built into the centre or rear brake light which is ( if ) at the top of rear windows.
Side cameras mounter to the centre of rear doors top pillar.
Everything can be done DIY with result where only 15mm lens + housing will be visible to outside. This size is very hard to spot, especially front and rear cameras the way i described. But this kind of project involves a lot of DIY and can be done by enthusiast or professional installer who for sure will charge a fortune.

yeah the camera is not such an issue, depends where he could hide the rest of it away, if it's a rough area as suggested I'm not too sure the locals would be impressed by the covert surveillance going on

jokiin said:
yeah the camera is not such an issue, depends where he could hide the rest of it away, if it's a rough area as suggested I'm not too sure the locals would be impressed by the covert surveillance going on

Ok, i see what you mean. Main unit can be hidden into boot spare wheel compartment and even can do DIY metal cover with lock to stop access in case if car will be brake in. Unit IR remote control eye can be run to the front and unit can be connected to the car headunit and operated from the front.

Front and rear cameras are very hard to notice. For side cameras i had also idea to built in them into the roof bars mounts if car has such ( most SUV and wagon type cars have them ). Or built into the side mirror side ( not under side mirror like many 360 panorama parking systems ) but specifically to the side, if mirror profile allows it.

There are dozens of ways on how to hide and what technology to use, but its all about customer budget.

he was talking of hiding something in the gutter of the house or in a tree, a lot of problems with trying to do something like this I would think, hiding something in a vehicle is no issue in comparison

jokiin said:
he was talking of hiding something in the gutter of the house or in a tree, a lot of problems with trying to do something like this I would think, hiding something in a vehicle is no issue in comparison

You are right. My bad translation and mis-understanding on the first place.
I agree with you on using so called trail or hunting dvr

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?Sea ... 0715021028

They have option of motion detection recording, external battery pack or wall socket power option.
SMS / MMS notification.
850NM or invisible 940NM IR.

Back