Dash cam for rental car w/ suction cup.

DashTime

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys, I'm looking for a dash cam for use with rental cars.

I want easy removal, so I want a suction cup, an LCD screen and a capacitor. Doesn't need to be discrete, but that would be a plus.

The G1W-C comes to mind, but I've read reliability isn't what it should be.

Mobius - I'd have to connect to my phone to watch an accident on the scene, capacitor I can put in...

A118C/A119 - A little work making a suction cup work with it...

Any thoughts?

The suction cup is the default choice for your requirements, but also consider the sun visor mount ...

image.jpeg

This is my setup for use in a rental car.

That's another mount I would consider. There looks to be a slimmer sun visor mount which is a plus. Thanks for your input.

I suggest you consider upgrading your daily driver and use the old one.

Beyond that, considering the items I realized were left in the rental once relaxed at 30,000 ft, I suggest a price driven decision.

I have an A118c and I don't want to stick it to the rental

I have an itrue x3 for use in other cars. Same basic guts as the a118 but larger screen, a better lens which results in much better night vision, and simple suction mount.

I reviewed one not very long ago. Only box it doesn't check for you is capacitor but for occasional use, that's not a big deal. It's only when it lives in a car 24/7/365 that a battery becomes a liability.

http://www.gibson99.com/2015/10/itrue-x3-dashcam.html

Last edited:
I have a spare G1W-H which I use in rentals and sometimes company fleet vehicles.

I seem to always have a laptop or netbook on me, so I use a Mobius when I use rental cars.

Two non-capacitor cameras that have a screen and suction cup mount that have good video overall are the Ausdom A261, and AD282. Would be worth looking online for a good price.
Occasionally the A261 is $60-70.....via a slow boat from China. :)

Slowboat is offering ausdom261 for $66 again, I'm waiting for end of july delivery

Back