Dash Cam for ridesharing purpose primarily - advice

BorisZX6R

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. I have been reading around for a while now but just decided to register for support purposes and some advice.

I am looking for a dash cam for my vehicle (2016 VW Passat - US version). Ideally I would want a camera or multiple cameras setup that would allow recording action in front of me as well as behind me.
As a 3rd option it would be interesting to have in-car recording as well.

I was thinking of using a A119S for the front and maybe a G1WC for the rear, if that makes any sense? Or even A119S + A118 or something like that.
DDPai M6+ seems to be great according to techmoan but looks strange and mounting options may not be greatest, but I love the feature that you can move it to record action on the side if needed (road rage etc.)
Not sure if these cameras have overlap in their clips?! But from what I have seen on YouTube the quality seems very good.

Some driving will be done during day time hours but there will also be night time driving.

Some things I am looking for:
* best video quality for the money. (1080p at 30fps, not sure if it would be beneficial to have 60fps or higher resolution?)
* some sort of parking mode, not sure what is better, time lapse or g-sensor based?
* camera that hides well
* no overlap - I am not a big fan of cameras that have a overlap in their clips so ideally I would want something where I can stitch clips together without an overlap but if the quality and features are all there then this should not be a deal breaker

I would install this and hide wires as much as possible and it will be hardwired.
Is there a need for some battery pack or is the car's battery enough?

Spending power around $200 total but will go higher if the value is there.

Thank you in advance and looking forward to your advice!

__
BorisZX6R

Hi everyone,
to be honest I was expecting some replies on this thread but maybe I did not formulate my questions properly.
I think Viofo A119S v2 is a great candidate but I was also looking at the Vantrue N2 PRO
Does anyone have any raw footage about the Vantrue ? From what I could find it seems like the quality is not quite like A119S but I would like to confirm that with you guys.
I wanted to pull the trigger today and buy one or the other. Just need some advice.

Thank you!
__
BorisZX6R

the Vantrue has a battery inside, not ideal if used for extended periods or in warmer climates, the A119S would be the better choice for most of your criteria anyway

the Vantrue has a battery inside, not ideal if used for extended periods or in warmer climates, the A119S would be the better choice for most of your criteria anyway
Perfect - thank you for your input. The A119S it is :)

Are there any preferred places to buy ?!
Not sure if I am allowed to post links but here is the info.
$101.10 for a A119S v2 with GPS mount and some EVA Foam
Sold by OCD Tronic and Fulfilled by Amazon.

Perfect - thank you for your input. The A119S it is :)

Are there any preferred places to buy ?!
Not sure if I am allowed to post links but here is the info.
$101.10 for a A119S v2 with GPS mount and some EVA Foam
Sold by OCD Tronic and Fulfilled by Amazon.

links are ok and yes that is a trusted vendor (and regular contributor) here

links are ok and yes that is a trusted vendor (and regular contributor) here
jokiin thank you very much for the prompt responses!

I am interested also in hiding all the wiring in my car and possibly hardwiring the cam.
Do you think this will do the job?
or do I need to have some sort of battery pack to feed into it?

don't buy the spytec hardwire kit, it's not a good match for this camera, the voltage fluctuates on this power supply, particularly in cold weather

@OCD Tronic will be able to advise you which power supplies are suited

Less wire would be Vantrue N2 pro as both cameras are built in in the same unit to record outside and inside.
Perfect for uber taxi drivers.
Also it has great IR led for recording inside the cabin at night.

don't buy the spytec hardwire kit, it's not a good match for this camera, the voltage fluctuates on this power supply, particularly in cold weather

@OCD Tronic will be able to advise you which power supplies are suited
Ok, thanks!

I could also use what another guy did in his B7 Passat (2016 VW Passat US version), he basically got a female cigarette lighter socket and wired that into the fuse box with add a circuit fuse tap and used the supplied cable and cigarrete lighter plug to keep it all stock...

Ok, thanks!

I could also use what another guy did in his B7 Passat (2016 VW Passat US version), he basically got a female cigarette lighter socket and wired that into the fuse box with add a circuit fuse tap and used the supplied cable and cigarrete lighter plug to keep it all stock...

yep, that works fine also

Back