Dash cam for the hallway ...

ketogene

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there guys,
I hope you don't mind if I pick your brains (so to speak).
My mum has dementia. Mum can't always remember who has called at the house, or what they wanted.
If I could place a dash cam in the hallway, that has a motion-sensing feature (only recording when there's something to record),
and a slot for a nice fat capacity SD-Card, I could leave it running before i go out to do the shopping,
and there would be a record of what's happened in my absence.
With perhaps loop recording, so it over-writes the older videos, and never runs out of space.
That could be extremely useful.
So, high capacity SD card (at least 64Gb) motion sensing and loop recording.
It doesn't have to be great quality video. It can be cheap and cheerful.
I would be very grateful for your advice on which models to consider.
Thank you very much for your help.
Have a very nice day ;)
Rob

You could do that, but you would be better off with one of the many home CCTV cameras like wyze - arlo And so on.
Also dont have to expensive.

O yeah thats also a option, also a lot of those to choose from, and not insane prices too.

I was thinking about putting one up at my apartment door, but the ones that can be tied to my IP system are huge and industrial looking, so for now that is paused as i still have my peephole camera.

I'm also a fan of Arlo but make sure you get a SDCard model and not the basic ArloQ that I've got.

The problem with RING and similar systems, is that they are interactive and in the moment.
I would have to be paying attention. I have to be watching my mobile phone. But that's too inconvenient.
I might be driving the car. I might be in a meeting. I might be doing the paperwork.
I might be running in the park. I might be taking a shower. Or having lunch... etc.
I would much prefer a system that will auto record what has happened.
The video quality doesn't have to be brilliant, the frame rate doesn't have to be high.
A budget end dashcam with motion detection, and loop around and a reasonable Micro-SD card capacity.

Would anyone like to suggest some of the better budget end models ?
Thanks to any and all that reply :)

Ketogene

I would think that powering a dashcam long-term indoors would make this idea a non-starter.

As others have said, get a cam designed for the purpose, there's an endless array of choices available.

FWIW I've had a G1W/S running for 2 years+ as a security powered by a phone charger. Not ideal as others have said, but it would otherwise be doing nothing.

The "Ring" doorbell cams are excellent and I've seen good comments abiout the Arlo cams. Wyze has had some problems according to people I trust.

Even cheap decent dashcams start at around $45 and you can get a security cam for that price which will do better.

Phil

If you use motion detect, and a semsible level of activety to trigger it, sure why not, but only if you have a old dashcam lying around, otherwise i would go for a more dedicated solution.

Bit of a lateral thought, but I'd bought one of my daughters a very good babycam when she started a family, 2 x wireless cameras and an 8 or 9 inch screen/hub, which also took a memory card, so depending on card size that could store varying amounts of footage, very simple and no moving parts, relatively cheap - as per the market intended for.

I've also had a mum with dementia although a sister lived closer and took the main brunt of everything, mum was living in a bungalow with wardens to help, but as time went by and memory went she started walking to different villages, then knocking on strangers doors not knowing where she was but upset, police involved several times, eventually moving into secure accommodation.
The tech wasn't available then, but things like the babycam I've mentioned may have helped, more recent developments like a GPS tracker if could be sure could be on her all the time would have also helped.

As for Ring video doorbells, 2 doors up had one stolen - I blame that on one of the adverts on tv showing one being assembled - and someone twigging the reverse was too easy, I gather they use a unique ident so can't be reused in another system, but even so, flawed. (Oh covid 19 - hat, mask, sunglasses - normal now or can be!)

Trying now to find that large screen baby monitor with memory card, I can't, many seem to thing 5 inch is large, will have to dig out the make when see her.

Listed at 480P, which might be good enough at close ranges but I'd want at least 720P (and 1080P if I could get it) just for the sharper details you'll be able to see.

Phil

EDIT: reading more it's 240P when 4 cams are used :eek:

The wifi security camera I have, no real name, chinese, has been working well for 6 months. Decent video, even at night, The motion detection seems to work well. The app works OK. V 380

These are sold under various names. Amazon probably has them, in Asia they are around $20 USD.

I check the card and functioning about once a month, otherwise leave it alone unless something happened at the house.

A budget end dashcam with motion detection, and loop around and a reasonable Micro-SD card capacity.
The problem with a budget dashcam is that the motion detection will be unreliable. It's not great even on the more expensive ones since they're just not designed for this type of application.

Something like this for just £25 is going to be a better option for you. It has an SD card slot so it will record locally, then you can browse through the files using your phone when you get back.

TP-LINK Tapo Pan/Tilt Smart Security Camera, Indoor CCTV
Screenshot_20210421-034258.png

Listed at 480P, which might be good enough at close ranges but I'd want at least 720P (and 1080P if I could get it)
I'm still poised and undecided, I can see ones like I listed but yes the clarity is suspect, I also have a existing internal cctv for hallway and garage with the DVR/HD in the basement which is years old, not sure if still working, need to fight the spiders and maybe resurrect that.
But still with home cctv, the headline claim - mostly with 4K, ends up being nothing like!

I instantly dislike a cctv camera if it's white, why do that? (yes know deterrent but hey if it's that bad, move!)

Black are not a good color for any camera if it get hit by the sun while operating, hence most outdoor cameras are white and today it dont make much sense to make a indoor and a outdoor range, so many cameras are made to deal with both situations.

At least i think thats the main reason.

The problem with RING and similar systems, is that they are interactive and in the moment.
I would have to be paying attention. I have to be watching my mobile phone. But that's too inconvenient.
I might be driving the car. I might be in a meeting. I might be doing the paperwork.
I might be running in the park. I might be taking a shower. Or having lunch... etc.
I would much prefer a system that will auto record what has happened.
The video quality doesn't have to be brilliant, the frame rate doesn't have to be high.

Would anyone like to suggest some of the better budget end models ?
Thanks to any and all that reply :)

Ketogene
I have a ring system. Including doorbell amd security system. It is very customizable and if you don’t want alerts you can turn them all off. I have a camera inside in the first floor and one in the garage. I have them set to record 24/7 and you can link one with another. For example. When someone rings the doorbell. Not only the doorbell record but the one inside the condo also records a linked event to the doorbell. No cards required. All in the cloud and I pay a 100 bucks a year. Including the private security monitoring service. Also have a myq sensor on the garage door that is also linked to the garage door. I’m very happy with the system. Just waiting for them to update the myq to work with carplay. Is supposed to be coming this year.
Also. The recordings can be triggered by motion detection or kind of time lapse. Or both. The service holds the recording for I believe 30 days.

Back