dash cam for the rear window

Claudine

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. I just bought the SG966.... for my front window Thanks Pier28;) and everyone else who recommended!!!! Now, because I'm paranoid about being rear ended what is a great quality camera for the back?? I already have a back up camera that came with the vehicle so I don't need anything other than a suction cup mount. It's a 2015 Forester and I don't want it to suffer the same fate as my Mustang last year around this time!!!!
Again, most of my driving is still at night time, but this is mostly for rear ending so I'm not as finicky about the camera reading the plates!!! Any suggestions would be great!!! Also, I'd rather pay for a quality cam than pay later when dealing with insurance companies!!!!

Claudine

good value cam for the rear with a suction cup maybe look at the Mobius

Thanks, I might be looking at other install options. I'm reading that suction cup mount on rear windows don't work due to the angle.
By Mobius is that just the sport cam or do they make dash cams? I'm very green in this area!!!!

Putting a rear camera on any SUV with a rear door the opens up is a challenge. First you need a camera that is ok with vertical glass and second you need to be able to route the power wire around the hinge portion of the door. I have a Nissan X-Trail and have been looking at options for a rear camera as well. I'm thinking about a SGZC12RC style of camera so I can remotely install the main unit in one of the side panels in the back of the car.

I'm thinking about a SGZC12RC style of camera so I can remotely install the main unit in one of the side panels in the back of the car.

yeah that could be a good fit also, it was only the mention of suction mount that I didn't even think about it

I'm thinking that with the RC being so small that it won't be affected when the rear door gets bounced around opening and closing. My original Itronics would have been good in that role as well I think.

Edited for accuracy :D

appreciate your enthusiasm but I was happy with what I posted ;) as a sport cam (as questioned) it's not a GoPro, (not that it's trying to be mind you) and some people might baulk at the setup but it can do multiple tasks quite well, bit of a learning curve for some but overall I think it punches above its weight in a lot of areas, had I not thought that I wouldn't ever recommend it and it is a product I have recommended quite often when I've felt it was the right fit for the task

You may have to play with different mounts, but I've used a mobius in a tractor trailer for two years, and the windshield angle is much more vertical than most SUV rear glass.
The mounts are somewhat cheap, since they use a generic 1/2x20 tripod thread mount, you can buy from multiple online suppliers. If you end up using a mobius for a rear camera, you'll probably want to rotate the image via the software, (easy) and mount the mobius 'upside down'. The video comes out correctly.
The other thing, is, don't forget it's back there! Check the video files occasionally, and format the card at intervals.

I have to use a rental car for a few days for some work related BS, and ended up with a Hyundai Santa Fe. I popped a mobius in the front window, and every time some vehicle is on my rear bumper in traffic, I wish I had brought one to slap in the rear glass. I'm more used to having 8 feet of pickup truck bed, or a '53 trailer behind me. :)

I have been using a Rexing F9 (similar to g1wh) as rear camera and does the job very well.
It's right below the high brake light and not noticeable at all so size doesn't matter for the rear but color does so get something black.
Without flash:
20150826_192803-rexing-f9-jpg.16487

With flash:
20150826_192812-rexing-f9-jpg.16489

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I went with Mobius and bought the additional adhesive attachment. In theory I should be able to mount it on my back door (hatchback style I'm still getting use to). Lol, if I have any install issues with either device I know where to go for help:)

Thanks again everyone!!!!

Claudine

Back