Dash Cam Installation

Matthew D

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently purchased a dual-channel dash cam for my car. This is a picture of the rear dashcam, with accompanying cables.
8MmtHh1.jpg

The black cable to the left plugs into the front camera, and is of sufficient length to reach the back of the car. However the red/black cable is only about 2 feet long and is attached to the rear camera, so there's no chance in hell it can reach the fusebox in the front of the car. Does it matter what kind/gauge of wire I crimp onto this red/black wire so it can reach? Also these red/black wires are connected at the moment, but I shouldn't plug them both directly into my piggyback fuse right? The black should be separated and grounded?

rear cams are normally powered by the cable to the front cam, that might be for some other feature, have you tested it yet?

it seems this photo was taken with the same type of camera used to photograph bigfoot ;) a link to the product you have might be more useful so we know what it is, would be easier to help if we know what we're looking at

So there's a long black cable that connects to the front cam, that's long enough to reach the front of the car. That is directly wired into the rear and has an aux-like connector to connect to the front cam.

My real question is about the red/black wire. It's the actual cable you need to wire into a fusebox, but it's length is only 2 feet and is directly attached to the rear cam for some god awful reason. Would it matter what kind of wire I scrounge up and attach to it for extra length?

I've got the same... must be for reversing light as it has reversing aid

Back