Dash cam insurance cover.

vixcrack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just checking those in the UK, considering the high price of some dash cams, like blackvue, where can I get replacement insurance cover, in case it was stolen?

As a dashcam are out in the open i dont think you can.

It is the same with other stuff here, if it is not in the boot of your car or in the glove box it will not get covered by insurance if stolen.
You could go with something like the SG9663DR camera, it have its two cameras on wires off a main unit you can hide well in the car, so would take quite a while to take out of a car, VS a normal system where the main unit sit on the windscreen as the front unit and only the rear camera are separated.

Of course if they drive away with your car, they probably have a place to strip it down nice and easy, but smash and grab is the main problem i think.

Just checking those in the UK, considering the high price of some dash cams, like blackvue, where can I get replacement insurance cover, in case it was stolen?
Check with your insurance company! I have just renewed mine with NFU Mutual and it covers me up to £500 for accessories. This will cover the cost of my Thinkware U1000 +rear camera and radar module.

Check with your insurance company! I have just renewed mine with NFU Mutual and it covers me up to £500 for accessories. This will cover the cost of my Thinkware U1000 +rear camera and radar module.
Your cover for accessories or personnel effects should cover this. Of course you can always check with the insurer to be 100% sure.
Many ask if you have one fitted now when quoting, not seen it make much if any difference but if it's noted as part of your details it won't hurt.

Your cover for accessories or personnel effects should cover this. Of course you can always check with the insurer to be 100% sure.
Many ask if you have one fitted now when quoting, not seen it make much if any difference but if it's noted as part of your details it won't hurt.
Thanks all for the information. I will call my insurance company and check.

That's a lot of kit there, how visible is yours when fitted?

That's a lot of kit there, how visible is yours when fitted?
It is not relevant, because that is the accessory cost limit on the insurance policy (£500). My limit is £500, so if £600 worth of accessories was stolen, then they would only pay out £500. Understand?
All my Thinkware U1000 bits are visible. If you think about it, the front camera + radar module + rear camera have to be visible to function as they should.
My costs are not what a normal user would pay. I get mates rates when he fits stuff for me and he gets mates rates from his supplier for the kit.

Last edited:
No matter what insurance company you are with, if you add an accessory such as a dashcam to your car at a later date, it is best to advise them, just in case you have to make a claim.
Most of the time it does not affect the premium but there are occasions when it might do.
In my case, as stated previously, I was starting a new policy with NFU Mutual after being with Liverpool and Victoria with a 2 car policy for many years.

Back