Dash Cam Killing Battery

TonyFL

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I searched a few different ways through the forums but did not find an answer to my question. I have a Garmin Dash Cam 45 hard wired with the Garmin parking mode cable, installed by Best Buy, in a Chevy Tahoe. It was installed almost 2 years ago and I have not had any problems until 2 weeks ago. I went to start my vehicle and the battery was dead. I had the battery tested and it read as "good but needs charging." We tested the alternator and it was good. Even after a few 3+ hour drives, the battery would still be dead by the next morning. I took it to Chevy. They kept it overnight and noticed that the dash cam is doing a major current draw every 10-15 seconds when the vehicle is off. They charged the battery and unplugged the camera but the vehicle was dead again this morning when I went to leave. Now, I am wondering if the transformer in the cable has gone bad. I disconnected it from the fuse block to see if that changes anything. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Hello,

When the battery in the dashcam is discharged and dead, the dashcam can be switched on and off spontaneously, without any system. Perhaps this is the problem and you need to replace the battery, and then look further what will happen, although there is a chance that some of the elements in the adapter have failed and this leads to the discharge of the car battery

Hello,

When the battery in the dashcam is discharged and dead, the dashcam can be switched on and off spontaneously, without any system. Perhaps this is the problem and you need to replace the battery, and then look further what will happen, although there is a chance that some of the elements in the adapter have failed and this leads to the discharge of the car battery

Thank you for the reply. Is there any way to test that battery?

Does anyone know what the voltage cutoff is for the parking mode cables? All the docs say is that when the battery gets dangerously low it'll cut power off to prevent it from totally draining. However, nowhere does it say what the minimum voltage is, and Garmin's tech support have no idea either. My Thinkware F800 has a setting so I can specify the exact voltage I want to allow it to drop to, but the Garmin appears to be pre-set to some unknown value.

Back