Dash cam or internal camera for dog rescue van

AdamSD

Reaction score
Country
United States
Our dog rescue has a rescue van. We use it to pick up supplies but on occasion we are also doing street rescue at the same time and and we need to keep an eye on the van when we are out and about in case we need to stop in for medical supplies at a store or to pick up dog food, water or other supplies. The driver would need to be able to see live feed into the van through his phone and we would have a wifi hotspot in the car so the cam would be wifi enabled. We were looking at the Blackvue DR590-1CH with a battery pack and wifi hotspot in the car. I just wanted to get some feedback to make sure this would work for what we need. We would need to check the live feed about every 15 minutes when on our routes and not in the van. Being a non profit dog rescue we just want to make sure we use our money wisely for this set up as we have limited resources. If any cold help out with some feed back that would be great.

For such a scenario, I would recommend something like the $20 Xiaofang camera with IR.

These record to a SD card and the smartphone apps support live view. Input is 5V Micro-USB, could even use a power bank or the battery pack.

Just an FYI about BlackVue live feed... they have a free version but it only gives you 10 minutes a day.
You'd be looking at least $9.99/month to get unlimited.

Just an FYI about BlackVue live feed... they have a free version but it only gives you 10 minutes a day.
You'd be looking at least $9.99/month to get unlimited.
Thank you! I did not realize that. I think it will be ok as long as that model works with the cloud and is able to view the inside of the van.

For such a scenario, I would recommend something like the $20 Xiaofang camera with IR.

These record to a SD card and the smartphone apps support live view. Input is 5V Micro-USB, could even use a power bank or the battery pack.

I agree. This cam could be a good option in this scenario. The identical WyzeCam 2 (except for firmware and app) at the same price would probably be a better option for someone in the USA though. Another plus for this camera if used inside a van is that it has built-in IR illumination for times when the van interior might be too dark for other cameras.

Thank you! I did not realize that. I think it will be ok as long as that model works with the cloud and is able to view the inside of the van.

Yeah, you'll want to make sure that the device you go with has IR (infrared) to be able to see into your vehicle.
I don't believe the DR590 has Cloud either.
If you want to stick with BlackVue, the DR750S-2CH IR is probably the better device for your needs... assuming you want something that records both the road in front of you AND the interior of your van.
Says it ships with a 4.9-ft cable (you can order longer if needed), so might be ideal if your Van has a separate area.

Might be better options out there if you just want interior, but I'm not sure of any interior only w/ cloud access cameras.

I agree. This cam could be a good option in this scenario. The identical WyzeCam 2 (except for firmware and app) at the same price would probably be a better option for someone in the USA though. Another plus for this camera if used inside a van is that it has built-in IR illumination for times when the van interior might be too dark for other cameras.
Does the WyzeCam 2 have wifi capability so we can see live into the van? Also would the camera be streaming data all the time with the live view or would it only stream when we access it through the app. Since we are using a cell phone hot spot we are just concerned about how much data it will eat up.

Yeah, you'll want to make sure that the device you go with has IR (infrared) to be able to see into your vehicle.
I don't believe the DR590 has Cloud either.
If you want to stick with BlackVue, the DR750S-2CH IR is probably the better device for your needs... assuming you want something that records both the road in front of you AND the interior of your van.
Says it ships with a 4.9-ft cable (you can order longer if needed), so might be ideal if your Van has a separate area.

Might be better options out there if you just want interior, but I'm not sure of any interior only w/ cloud access cameras.
I am not stuck on BlackVue. We do not need the recording option we just need to be able to access the camera remotely to see into the van maybe 5-6 times in a day for about a minute each, one day a week. The biggest needs are: a camera with wifi so it can be accessed remotely. That i t can see into the van. and that it is not eating up a ton of data having to be streaming live the whole day.

Does the WyzeCam 2 have wifi capability so we can see live into the van? Also would the camera be streaming data all the time with the live view or would it only stream when we access it through the app. Since we are using a cell phone hot spot we are just concerned about how much data it will eat up.

It's a cell phone/tablet app which will let you see live into the van. And yes it has built-in WiFi. It also has two way audio so you could hear the dogs as well as talk to them, except that the tiny speaker isn't too loud. It can send alerts based on sounds or motion. It also lets you toggle between HD and SD which should help out with data issues. I would recommend checking out the WyzeCam 2 support page which should answer most of your questions and they also have a phone number to call listed on their web site. Also check out the specs - HERE.

You might also check out some online reviews that might better help you decide if this camera will meet your needs. The general consensus is that this camera is a bargain for 20 dollars (plus shipping). I'm happy with mine but I don't use it the way you would be so it's hard for me to know how well it would work for you. For example, I only access it remotely through an iPad via WiFi, not with a cellphone.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/smart-home-reviews/wyzecam-v2-review/

https://www.techhive.com/article/3240446/security-cameras/wyzecam-review.html

https://homealarmreport.com/wyzecam-review/

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I think we are going to go with the Wyzecam 2 with a battery pack and a boost mobile hotspot and data plan.

Back