Dash Cam positioning - advice needed

NAZtradamus

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

I'm re-positioning my dash cam as I've rerouted the wires but upon doing so I'm now struggling on finding the 'perfect position'.

Previously I had it behind directly behind the mirror but to the drivers side - the lens was closest to the middle but the issue with that is you can't release the camera from the holder as there is no space but how likely is it that I will need to remove it from your experiences?

Another option is to flip it so that the sticky part is closest to the middle - the advantage is the wires will be more or less completely hidden but then the lens will not be as close to the middle of the windscreen. How much would this affect the viewing angle?

Third option is same above but behind the passenger side of the rear view mirror - I'm not so keen on this option as if I want to toggle on/off audio recording for example it will be hard to get to while driving.

Final option is to go below the rear view mirror so that the lens is completely central however the dash cam and wires will be more on show.

Sorry as I know this is all subjective but I think its finding a balance between looks and practicality so any advice would be much appreciated.

(Poor pic attached but just wanted to try and show the mirror surrounding to give a better idea - can post a better one later today)

Attachments

• IMG_2253.jpg
    IMG_2253.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 42
Another option is to flip it so that the sticky part is closest to the middle - the advantage is the wires will be more or less completely hidden but then the lens will not be as close to the middle of the windscreen. How much would this affect the viewing angle?
Not a lot I would think. Can you not view the pic it produces on your phone/tablet to help you decide? The amount it 'looks sideways' depends on the curvature of your screen.
My lens is not quite in the middle of my screen as I have the mounting sticky pad in the middle as then the cam is completely behind the rear view mirror with the lens offset a bit to the left. (R/H drive car)
Before you 'flip it' make sure that you can 'flip' the video otherwise it will be upside down.
I have flipped the rear view cam on my 750, and flipped the picture.

Make sure that the camera doesn't obscure any part of your view through the windscreen, if it does the Police {in the UK} are likely to ticket you for it.

Back