Dash Cam principle, what if power fail

dainova

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
I'm using Cobra CDR-835 and it worked fine, till I discovered that because of weak battery last file upon disconnect got corrupted and become useless.
This is happened when ignition turn OFF or when camera flies away in the accident or cable disconnected).
With Cobra after power off it has prompt <do you want to shut it down or it will be auto shut in 30 sec>. I wish there was default option to finalize file right away as in the most cases those LIPO 200mA batteries go week within the year and they won't run for those 30 sec.

Anybody know if this is true for all modern Dash Cams? Or any cameras can store video last second before power goes down and assuming battery is weak?

Thanks
allcder.jpg

Yes that is often the problem with battery bases cameras, it is pretty rare you have that problem with capacitor based cameras.

The battery swell up and go bad, or in worst case "POOF" like you have seen some phones or vaping devises do.

658f213f0e22056a4808ffd280b000414b60cf53.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, anybody can recommend brand/model with capacitor ?

Tx Nigel and all. Wow you probably can tell this by price range being much higher )!

Tx Nigel and all. Wow you probably can tell this by price range being much higher )!
It is not just the lifespan that is significantly better, the best buys are good value, and the cost is still a fraction of what most people pay for insurance each year.

Tx, I still see in best 2020 list some with batteries (assume it's actual battery). Only Blueskysea is Capacitor
  1. Blueskysea B1W (No screen, discreet, capacitor)
  2. 70Mai Smart Dash Cam 1S / MiDrive D06 (No screen, discreet, battery)
Discreet single camera with a screen and GPS

1. VIOFO A119 V3 (all around great camera)
  2. Street Guardian SGGCX2PRO (great video and best support)
  3. 70Mai Dash Cam Pro / MiDrive D02 (battery)
I believe it is only the 70Mai dashcams that have a battery, certainly Viofo and SG don't use them.
Not too sure why the 70Mai cameras are in the list, don't seem particularly popular on this site, guess it is that they are good value for money if you ignore the battery issue.
For people in colder climates a battery isn't an automatic disaster, still don't recommend one though.

When you look at cameras some might appear from photos to be enormous cameras, this mistake have often made some people bypassing cameras like SG and Viofo ( wedge shape cameras )
If you can not find the actual size of the camera in the listing then most often the diagonal size of the LCD display will be listed, and from that you can gauge the actual size.

What you should think about is the real estate of your windscreen, some cars are pretty bad in regard to installing a dashcam, it could be large sensor arrays going down the middle of the windscreen ( though you can some times mount of the sensor array plastic and actually get a pretty darn stealthy install )
Other cars have a dotted area on top of the windscreen, this are excellent for mounting wedge cameras on as in then conceal the sticky mount and the bulk of the camera, and you just have the bottom with the lens peeking out below the dotted area.
This can in some cases be ruined a little of mirrors that mount off the windscreen glass, but then you can mount a little to the side as this dont matter all that much due to the wide angle lenses used in dashcams.

Personally i am a big fan of the wedge shape cameras, and as my mirror hang off the roof as a tester i can have 4-5 of them beside eachother on the dotted area in front of my mirror, that many are of course not stealthy at all, but that's just the price for being a tester of dashcams.

img_20180414_143906-jpg.37474

If you browse the "where did you mount your dashcam" picture thread backwards you can see pictures of solutions people have used with different cameras.

Back