Dash Cam Reactions

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Last year, I had someone hit my car, and I was amused and bewildered by people's reaction when I had a video of accident. Some people thought the idea was really cool. Others had the reaction, "I've heard of accidents being caught on Camera, but I've really never seen anyone in person actually have a Video".

Which gets me thinking of two questions.

1. With all the insurance scams, people on the road, why do so few people actually run Dash Cameras?

2. If you've ever captured an accident or incident, what are the reactions you get from people involved and/or people in general?

I run a Viofo A129 Duo (Front + Rear) Hardwired. - Might invest in a Uber type cam in future for full coverage of sides.

Anyway, figured this might be a fun thread to start.

Last edited:
1. With all the insurance scams, people on the road, why do so few people actually run Dash Cameras?
I think some drivers don't want their own behaviour on the road to be recorded... Lots of threads in here about disabling GPS to hide their speed etc.

1- Here in SC USA my insurance agent told me that no insurers here offer any discounts for dashcams :(Some do offer discounts for installing a GPS device that monitors your speed and location provided it shows compliance with speed limits and mileages driven within spec for getting the discount. It's not insurance scams you have to worry about in SC; it's hit-and-runs by uninsured drivers :cautious: Back in 2016 SC admitted that about 20% of the cars with SC plates were not insured according to their own records :eek: There has apparently been no direct effort made to address the problem :mad: So even capturing a plate number on video with witnesses may not do you any direct good here in SC, where at best the courts will order a judgement amount to be paid you, but there's no legal method of compelling that the payment is actually made at all :devilish:

2- The back of my workvan has this:
1580679680001.png

and I've noticed many tailgaters backing off after reading it when we had to stop at a red light :p I don't have an inside mirror but I've looked at the vids a few times and the expressions on their faces is priceless :LOL: One 'redneck' type actually got mad and shook his fist- then he realized that was going to be on my video recording too. Then he looked as sad and unhappy as a wet puppy :ROFLMAO: One of the hands at the lumber store who was loading wood saw the sign and smiled at it. My boss saw the smile and asked him what it was about. I told my boss that not only did he read my sign, he did what it said and didn't have to be scolded into doing it. I said we needed to hire that guy because none of our current workers were anywhere near that good :cool: Occasionally someone will see my sign and cam walking by in a parking lot then smile as they walk on. I'd share some of these priceless vid clips, but I neither seek them out nor save them; I do not use my cams that way. For me they are evidence-gatherers and that is the only type of video I bother saving.

A car was recently stolen one night from the parking lot where I live; I gave the Police and it's owner my video evidence and my cams became known here at that point as I always back into my spot so my sign hadn't been seen here before that. A side-effect from this incident was that the steady stream of rough-looking 5-minute visitors to one neighbor's door came to a screeching halt, and within a month those people moved out :sneaky: so the mere known presence of my cams got a likely drug dealer out of here too (y) Not accident-related but I thought it worth sharing.

Phil

I think some drivers don't want their own behaviour on the road to be recorded... Lots of threads in here about disabling GPS to hide their speed etc.

It's like the police. The cameras are there to protect them, and not the people they arrest or shoot. Your Dash Camera is meant to be your friend. Imagine someone causing a wreck isn't going to volunteer up evidence to prove their own guilt. So disabling GPS / Speed to hide information or making sure that memory card and/or camera magically malfunctioned aren't all that shocking responses.

1- Here in SC USA my insurance agent told me that no insurers here offer any discounts for dashcams :(Some do offer discounts for installing a GPS device that monitors your speed and location provided it shows compliance with speed limits and mileages driven within spec for getting the discount. It's not insurance scams you have to worry about in SC; it's hit-and-runs by uninsured drivers :cautious: Back in 2016 SC admitted that about 20% of the cars with SC plates were not insured according to their own records :eek: There has apparently been no direct effort made to address the problem :mad: So even capturing a plate number on video with witnesses may not do you any direct good here in SC, where at best the courts will order a judgement amount to be paid you, but there's no legal method of compelling that the payment is actually made at all :devilish:

Those black boxes are risky propositions. If you brake too hard, accelerate too fast, drive in a manner the recorder doesn't like, those expected discounts may result in rate hikes.

Ya, uninsured drivers are a major issue. Hit and Runs. Scams. Witnessing an accident. All are very good reasons to have a camera. Video doesn't lie and eliminates the he said / she said.

My car was hit last year. Insurance company tried to pull some crap. I said here's the video and that shut them up very quickly.

2- The back of my workvan has this: [/quote\

Ha I love it! - Is it rigged with a Battery or where does that 12V socket terminate?

View attachment 50468

and I've noticed many tailgaters backing off after reading it when we had to stop at a red light :p I don't have an inside mirror but I've looked at the vids a few times and the expressions on their faces is priceless :LOL: One 'redneck' type actually got mad and shook his fist- then he realized that was going to be on my video recording too. Then he looked as sad and unhappy as a wet puppy :ROFLMAO: One of the hands at the lumber store who was loading wood saw the sign and smiled at it. My boss saw the smile and asked him what it was about. I told my boss that not only did he read my sign, he did what it said and didn't have to be scolded into doing it. I said we needed to hire that guy because none of our current workers were anywhere near that good :cool: Occasionally someone will see my sign and cam walking by in a parking lot then smile as they walk on. I'd share some of these priceless vid clips, but I neither seek them out nor save them; I do not use my cams that way. For me they are evidence-gatherers and that is the only type of video I bother saving.

I've had a piece of debris flying at my car on the highway at highway speeds take out the top cap on my bumper. Caught on video, but flew from opposite side of highway so didn't help much. My windows are tinted so I doubt anyone ever notices I have a camera. Just as well, let them act stupid and then I have evidence!

It's quite an amazing social experiment when people realize they're being recorded. Pretty hard to deny evidence when all you have to do is play back the video!

A car was recently stolen one night from the parking lot where I live; I gave the Police and it's owner my video evidence and my cams became known here at that point as I always back into my spot so my sign hadn't been seen here before that. A side-effect from this incident was that the steady stream of rough-looking 5-minute visitors to one neighbor's door came to a screeching halt, and within a month those people moved out :sneaky: so the mere known presence of my cams got a likely drug dealer out of here too (y) Not accident-related but I thought it worth sharing.

Phil

+1. Unintended benefits are still a benefit!

Last edited:
There's 30A wiring feeding the back of my van, but it's not a finished project since it feeds from a fusebox tap through a switch for now. It will eventually go to either the starting battery or an auxiliary battery with it's own fuse there. It can handle my uses now as it is: a cam or two and a cellphone charger.

Phil

There's 30A wiring feeding the back of my van, but it's not a finished project since it feeds from a fusebox tap through a switch for now. It will eventually go to either the starting battery or an auxiliary battery with it's own fuse there. It can handle my uses now as it is: a cam or two and a cellphone charger.

Phil

Definitely. Dash Camera and a Cell phone are definitely low energy draw devices. Love the sign and setup.

Everyone in my underground Parkade where I live knows that I run battery packs to power my RSA NANO all night long on motion detection, and when they have damage, they contact me. And they have relied on my evidence when they have to make an insurance claim. I wish more people would bother to use a dash cam. We have had so much vandalism in the last two years of people smashing windows, or I should say trying when it comes to laminated windows like my Buick or my neighbours Cadillac, they can crack those windows but they can’t get in, so far. I recorded a lot of videos and taking screenshots and giving them to the police and many times it is like they are directly looking at my dash cam and they know it is there. They try my doorhandles and I can hear that on the recording playback but I’ve been lucky personally where they haven’t attempted to break my window yet. They probably know it is a laminated window from the factory or that a Buick is an “old man’s car” and they do not bother because there is nothing good inside, but the key is to never leave things in your car like leather jackets, etc. One neighbour had a bag of dirty laundry in his back seat and they smashed his Chevy Cruise window to take a look.

c53d63fcaddbbfcb7aedc7197a0ff605.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who is the person walking behind the car? Someone who tried to cause damage to vehicles?

Having been a dash cam user for quite a long time and being an early DCT member I believe I may be among the first to start experimenting with "parking mode" (using power banks). It was a revelation! I remember being rather amused by some of the things I would capture that had nothing to do with fender benders or other typical things we all use dash cams for. Over the years I started to put together a small folder of screen shots of people noticing my camera in parking lots. My dash cam set-up was not quite so stealthy as the one I have now but even so, it was fairly rare that anyone would notice the camera. Of the people who did, one of my early favorites was this guy.

fat-guy-noticing-camera.jpg

Last edited:
Well i sort of do the same,,,, checking how my baldness level progress, that guy are about 1/4 inch ahead of me.

Ya someone trying all the door handles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, one of those twats who if the doors left open, will steal all the change and valuables. Man, that image couldn't make him look more suspicious, if he had a bulls eye on his head!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Dash Cam Discussion 0
G Dash Cam Discussion 0
I Dash Cam Discussion 6
B Dash Cam Discussion 6
S Dash Cam Discussion 7
Back