Dash cam recommendation

arktik

Reaction score
Hello,

I am brand new dash cams and need help picking out one. I live in Alaska so I need one with good night time viewing for the winter. I'd like one that is install and forget. One that is (preferably) smaller and more discrete. My budget is no more than $150. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

If the temperatures are low in Alaska, I think the best mode is to have the camera always on. Some of them have batteries and others capacitors. If the low temperature can destroy a battery I think cameras with capacitors are better if you are planning to not use the camera non-stop.
Good in low light is almost impossible to find because most of them are korean which have better results and a korean one is up to $200. Try to search for some discrete Itronics ITB-100HD on this forum and maybe you can find a way to buy it under $200.
Or maybe a Vosonic V747w which is also good in low light, but the form factor is not discrete.
On ebay you can find at about $180 the IROAD IONE-3800FU.

Because you will use a lot the wipers, read here some tips.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Mtz said, good night time viewing, small and under $150 is difficult / impossible to find. His suggestions are the best bet.

And I just discovered the Livue LB100 at a fantastic price of $100. And if the night mode is good I can say it is the best buy for now.
You can see here the camera features which are so great. You don't even need a UPC (power magic) to protect your car battery.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Mtz. Great find. It is a 720p dash cam with GPS optional but it has G-sensor and parking mode. It looks quite discrete as well.

For anyone interested, as Mtz mentioned, lightnspace on eBay has it for $100.

With this 720p Livue for $100 and the IONE-3800FU for $160, looks like some well-priced alternatives to the Itronics, Blackvue and FineVu cameras are finally appearing. I think those manufacturers may eventually regret making it so difficult to get their products at a reasonable price.

I just hope to not be a typo in the price because apple-ct have it at $269 from some weeks ago.
I was expecting to be $249-$99=$150.

The $100 is a fair price for a good quality 720p camera. Depending how much is the GPS module, if under $115 is still a good camera also because of the firmware great options.

If the $100 is true, I expect they (It-On Korea) will make or preparing to launch some 1080p camera.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
Depending how much is the GPS module
The GPS antenna is $39. A lot of money (40%) compared to the actual price of the dashcam. I am not a GPS fan, but if I will find some cheap GPS antenna which will work with the Livue I will try, but for sure I will not order a $39 GPS antenna.

enjoy,
Mtz

Hi Mtz,

I agree, $39 is a bit much for the GPS module.

Back