Dash cam recommendations needed (mirror type with rear camera)

rikaro

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi guys! I'm looking into getting a new dash cam as my current one is broken (some $30 junk). I'm hoping to get a new one with the following features:

-dvr recording front (and hopefully rear is possible)
-rear camera can be used for reverse parking
-mirror design with clip on and not one of those full replacements
-cosmetically oem looking
-auto dim (not mandatory but would be nice to have)

I have been looking around and the only one that fits my criteria is the Xiaomi 70 Steps Smart Rearview Mirror.

I hope i'm not asking too much but it's quite a tough choice given the amount of choices out there. It would be great if any of you experts out there can give me some idea what to get.

Rear dashcam cameras dont have the functionality of true reversing cameras, and they are also placed the wrong place for a reversing camera.
Normally a reversing camera are down low on a car ( bumper - rear hatch ASO ) where as a rear camera you will want up high ( top center of rear window ) so say you have a sedan, you will not be able to see the first meter or two directly behind the car.
Also dashcam dont have the guide lines in the footage, and normally they have a little screen where as reversing on a screen i at least would prefer a 6 - 7 " screen, and the dashcams dont have the mirrored footage so you will have to mentally compensate for that.
Also a dashcam with a rear camera dont switch to it automatically when you reverse like a true reversing camera would do ( as far as i know )

Xiaomi Yi has a camera that fits all your criteria (apart from auto dimming).

Maybe have a look at that, I think it’s around $90. :)

Back