dash cam records conversation from my car bluetooth speakerphone, should I tell the other party?

DieselFish

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was reviewing some old footage from my dash cam. I heard my entire conversation with an acquaintance.
My bluetooth speakerphone is on my visor, so everything was recorded by the dash cams' microphone.

Am I legally obligated to warn the other party that the conversation was record? (even unintentionally by
a dash cam that records whenever the car is on)

Probably depends on your state laws.
Used to be in some states it's legal if one party of a (in person) conversation knows it's being recorded. Other states not. I would expect further laws may apply to phone/wire communications.
"unintentional" doesn't matter. If I had to guess... Yes, you are legally required to inform the other party the conversation is being recorded.
[I am not a lawyer]

state laws vary. I am not a lawyer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_recording_laws#United_States

Federal Law: (Below)
(NSA/FBI/CIA exemptions duly noted... hehe) [edit: Funny, as I posted this No Agenda podcast stream just noted Linus Torvalds NODDED (affirmative) when asked if NSA requested a back-door to Linux... http://www.salon.com/2013/09/19/linux_creator_admits_nsa_demanded_backdoor/ ]
EWeek.com reported on Torvalds’ panel admission (although the suggestion is that the Linux creator resisted government pressure):

Torvalds was also asked if he had ever been approached by the U.S. government to insert a backdoor into Linux. Torvalds responded “no” while [nodding] his head “yes,” as the audience broke into spontaneous laughter.

Federal law requires that at least one party taking part in the call must be notified of the recording (18 U.S.C. §2511(2)(d)).

I think recording your phone conversation is okay. Haven't you seen so many controversies from phone conversations including LA Clippers' owner's scandal?

If the other person is in the car physically and talking to you, that's when you have to make him aware that there is a recording device.
You have to make sure other party is aware if he is not talking over a medium like phone, camera etc...

Many things must be quite confusing "over there" with all those regional state laws either enforcing or undermining general law, but i still support the way you guys do it over there.
Not like here where we have the same but in a smaller scale and no local laws, but here its down right stupid as we are so small and just 5.5 million of us, so to save a lot of mony it could all be controlled by the politicians in Copenhagen.
The norm here is when the local goverment run out of mony for things they are supposed to handle they blame Copenhagen for not giving enuff mony, and in turn Copenhagen blame the local goverments for misusing mony.
For size we have the worlds largest public sector, and it is a huge waste of mony, and a growing bed for additional inkompetence.

As stated above, it depends on what state youre in. If youre really worried, just paste a small sign on your passenger side dashboard for ny prospective passengers. To be honest, the thought would never even enter my mind to worry about it. On the other hand, If I needed footage for legal purposes, I would just edit out the sound and use muted footage.

I would "do onto others, as I would want others do unto me."

So, yes, I would tell the other party who just called you, if not to be legally safe, simply to be polite.

There's another solution to this: simply don't take any calls while driving! The opposite would be a moot issue since -- of course -- no one responsible enough originates calls while driving. :)

Companies have to tell you they are recording (they say it's for training etc) so I say "that's ok, I'm recording the conversation as well" (aide memoire)
In the case of a dashcam overhearing a phone conversation, I don't think you need to tell anyone - unless you are planning to use said recording against them in some way, in which case, you would need to let them know, maybe offer them a copy (of the audio)?

Back