Dash cam sun covers?

Ps2cho

Reaction score
Country
United States
Being that I live in Arizona and the summers are absolutely brutal, I wondered has anyone made a sort of “umbrella” or cover for dash cams?

My thought would be something that just goes over the top of the camera, not blocking the lens that doesn’t allow the sun to hit the dash cam directly.

Does anything like this exist?

I have the DR 750s

Thanks!

Someone here has put a couple of heat sinks on their 900, but the 750 is the same size.
Can you not 'cobble' a bit of plastic or something to form a sunshade? How about some heavy tinting on the screen above the cam?

The best method depends on the car and the dashcam.

For example, with a wedge shaped dashcam like the Viofo and Street Guardian ranges, you can put the camera behind the dotted area on the windshield so that it is protected from the sun with just the lens peering out underneath. If your car doesn't have a black dotted area then you can add some electrostatic sunshield film (tint) onto the glass before fitting the dashcam, only needs a small piece behind where the cameras will be stuck, or you could go for a full sunstrip.

That method won't work with a barrel shaped camera.

Anything that stops the sun falling directly on the camera body will help significantly.

I saw this recommendation and put a couple 540 size heatsinks on my cams. A 750 and 650. They fit great. They scratched them up a little.
I plan on checking them with the FLIR camera at work to see if there is a difference.

I tried putting a piece of static cling film over the area where my cams are mounted. I need to put a much larger piece up as the sun beams in from different angles throughout the day. I’m hoping the heat sinks work out, but then again I’ve never had any issues, so this is trying to fix or enhance something that is working fine for me already.

Depending on what vehicle you have mounting on the sensor housing instead of the windshield may be an option. (An added 'bonus' is it may get around any prohibitions to mounting objects on the glass.) I've done this on 4 different cars and it's worked well for me. The only downside is it's sometimes a bit difficult to get good adhesion to the plastic - particularly if it's heavily textured.

Back