dash cam to use when the car is parked

ekay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi peeps, my car has been crashed into 4 times in the last 3 years and I'm looking for a dash cam that can be used when the car is parked possibly overnight which poses the issue of battery life. Does anyone know if there are any dash cams that have a long battery life and can be used overnight?
Thanks for your help
Ekay

If you park at the same spot, CCTV or IP cameras would be a better option.

Dash cams do not come with large capacity batteries. Better ones don't come with one at all, they use capacitors.

You could hardwire the dash cam using a hardwire kit with battery discharge protection and let the camera run off your car's battery, downside is that it shortens the battery's life.

And if this going to be a nightly affair, you'll most probably need to get a battery pack as well (like the Cellink B).

If CCTV or IP cameras are not possible I would recommend dash cameras which have time lapse parking mode, like the Thinkware F770 / F800 as well as Cellink B batteries. If your budget can stretch it, then I would also recommend a 4 channel set up rather than 2 channel one (2 sets of dual channel cameras) where the rear cameras look out from the side windows). Problem is that none of this, even a standard dual channel camera setup with Cellink B, comes cheap. At the time I bought my standard dual channel F770 with Cellink B, memory card, hardwiring kit etc, it came to around £600 (2 sets would obviously come almost double that).

You have also got to think about how to keep your windscreen as clear as possible. These dash cams are next to useless unless you can manage to keep your windscreen clear of mist, rain, snow, dust / dirt, etc. Something which is a huge problem in the UK, which I didn't think of at the time (and still haven't found a proper solution to).

I understand your pain. Not wishing to compete with you or exaggerate when I say this, but I myself have had my car maliciously damaged and hit and run more than 4 times in the last year alone whilst parked on my road (a narrow terraced street).

Back