Dash Cam used only for when vehicle is in motion

• Thread starter Deleted member 71364
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 71364

Hello,

I am looking for dash cams that only record when vehicles are in motion for use on forklifts in a warehouse.

Currently using Garmin Dash Cam 30/35 and JS Dash Mini... They are recording 24/7 and there is quite a lot of useless data taking up a TON of space when trucks are not in use. Looking to find ways to eliminate this useless data. I do not need parking mode. Just need to record when operators are using machines.

Does any one have any tips?

Hello,

I am looking for dash cams that only record when vehicles are in motion for use on forklifts in a warehouse.

Currently using Garmin Dash Cam 30/35 and JS Dash Mini... They are recording 24/7 and there is quite a lot of useless data taking up a TON of space when trucks are not in use. Looking to find ways to eliminate this useless data. I do not need parking mode. Just need to record when operators are using machines.

I don't know any specific dash cam that has the feature you want but maybe you can wire a mechanical switch on the acc wire that would sit under the pedal or seat cushion?

Welcome to DCT @alsimp :)
One way of doing this is using "motion detect" to activate the cam, but any movement such as a person walking in the cam's view will cause the cam to start recording. If that's not a problem then this technique will work. Most cams have motion detect mode but it's rarely well-done so results will vary a lot, even between identical cams. The cams you have now might have this option in the menu and it might work well enough- check it out.

Most equipment now has a 'deadman' switch under the seat so the machine will stop if the operator falls out of the seat. Based on how that's done you may be able to tap power there and use that switch to boot up the cam for normal recording. Or you could set up a second switch of the same type to do that.

With either of these methods, due to the cam needing to boot up, you'll lose a few seconds of recording then each time the equipment begins to be used.

Phil

Wire it to a source that is only hot while the engine is running? Assuming there is a setting not to run from it's internal battery

Surely you just hardwire these to the forklift ignition & problem sorted?

If you want a dashcam which should be protected against forklifts drivers to stop it you can think to A139 which will have some protection system. Camera to be used in Motion Detect mode or Parking Mode. But until now the A139 is not offered as 1CH.
But maybe the best solution is to put Security cameras in warehouse because their Motion detection is much more advanced.

enjoy,
Mtz

Hello,

Tell me about the forklifts. Are the powered by natural gas engines? Do they charge a 12V started battery when they are running like most cars do?

Tell me about the forklifts. Are the powered by natural gas engines? Do they charge a 12V started battery when they are running like most cars do?
Yes, never seen a natural gas model but they might exist. most are propane, electric or diesel. and, like most cars, start with a key and the internal combustion engines have 12 or 24 volt batteries for starting.

Back