Dash cam with 120fps

Ops I meant at full HD.

If action cams use 120fps at full HD wouldn't it just be better using one of them?

Ops I meant at full HD.

If action cams use 120fps at full HD wouldn't it just be better using one of them?

No because most of them do not have the recording time the dashcams have nor do most overwrite files when card gets full.

They also have to be manually turned on and off and don't have event recording.

Closest would be GoPro but its not considered a dashcam, many things againts dashcam purpose use.

Nobody using the A9 chipset yet, given that 2 years on the A7 based cameras aren't fully sorted I don't think I'd be in a rush to go A9

Step by step yes I thought the A7 would be further along than it is by now with all the hype from 2013. There are tons of bugs to sort out over the coming months. It will mature at some point with the combined effort of all. I'm excited what the A9 future holds but would like to see A7 dialled in first.

From chipset launch it takes 2 years at least to get up to speed, always roll my eyes every time I see some product being pushed out early as a world first at whatever, does more harm than good but some just love to have bragging rights

Yeah. First A7 dashcams released nearly year ago but still it not fully sorted out. Maybe need another 1/2-1y. Same with A9.

120 FPS would be nice, especially if the hugh ammount of footage is offloaded onto a cheap SSD harddrive.
And if that dream camera could sustain at least 60 FPS when it get dark, or at the very least 30 FPS with a exposure time > 1/250 sec ( 1/500 sec preferred )

In theory any camera could be used, but there is a reason why Dashcams have come about, as the Guys mention looping the recordings - start recording with engine start - and the sensors ( GPS - shock sensor )

The Gopro 4 is rumored to be using the A9 chipset, dunno what chipset the released Panasonic HX A500 is using, but it can do high FPS at lower resolutions and 25-30 FPS at 4K recordings.

So what resolution/fps is our eye (20/20 vision) equivalent at?

Human eyes just have to be fed at least 25 Pictures every second, then they think its seamless movie footage.

Higher FPS wil not feel more comfortable to Watch, but you can take some 60 FPS footage and slow it Down with 50% and get still smooth looking slow motion footage at 30 FPS.

Though i have to say in regards to playing on a computer and monitor refreshrate ( Hz ) i where told if the monitor is at 60 Hz then i can not see a difference to say 80 or 100 Hz refreshrate on the monitor.
BUT ! when i was gaming a lot, i allways did so at 150 - 200 Hz on the monitor and offcourse allso 150 - 200 FPS in the games, and i tried to lower those numbers to 60 FPS / Hz and i got a headache after 1 houer of gaming.

Ps. When i was sailing i did at times have a Little fun with the officers when i was on Watch dutie, i reported ships i saw with my eyes so far out they would never be a danger to the ship, so i was quickly renamed hawkeye for my good Outlook skills and good eyesight :D

Not the answer I was looking for.
I was asking a different question.
May be rephrase will help.
What resolution/fps camera will be better than our eyes?

My C600 with 720 is definitely not better than my eyes.
Even 1080p also doesn't look better than what we can see with our eyes.
I know our eyes focus at one point at a time but that's a separate thing.

May be 4k resolution beats our eyes in terms of clarity... or need even higher.

Aaaa

Well our eyes is hard to copy, we have a fairly large field of view, but we only focus on a small part within that field of view, and we can lightning fast shift that focus of another part of our field of view.
Allso out brain assume a lot of things regarding what our eyes see, this is what magicians often pray on to cheat us, and not to forget all the optical illutions that trick out eyes and brain to see things that isent really there.

I am not sure just upping the resolution on the capture and display devise is the solution to mach our human eyes, the lenses used allso have a great impact on the footage created, one of the first things impacted with the lens is the depth perception when viewing the footage.

If it had to be done with pixels, i think will need to be near or in the Giga pixel domain.

The wide angle lenses used on dashcams make things look further avay, to get things to appear in the footage as seen by your eyes i think you will need to half the viewing angle on the lens.

Hope this is a better take on your question, if not i might need to sharpen up on my 2 language out of 4 or 5, depending on what is deemed a reasonable grasp on a language :D

Just googled a Little.

Last edited:
Note to self, stay avay from the edit button :p or at least hit F5 first

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Giri43 Dash Cam Discussion 0
T Dash Cam Discussion 0
G Dash Cam Discussion 0
I Dash Cam Discussion 6
B Dash Cam Discussion 6
Back